21:33, Wed 22 Nov
They often thank the lord afterwards.
21:37, Wed 22 Nov
Rags
Personally always find it a bit weird when sportspeople thank god for being on their side/helping their victory. Though it’s a lot less common here.

When you see the feed from the locker room in American sports before a game and they are all thanking God for being on their side and praying for victory ....

.... and you know that their opponents just a few yards away are doing exactly the same in their locker room.

How does God choose ? ... and if there was a God, and both teams had prayed for victory, wouldn't every match be a draw ?

So I might be wrong here, but I don’t think people pray for victory because that isn’t the right idea.

Now I’m not religious at all, but it was my thought that people instead pray that they have the strength etc so that they can perform the best they can etc.

Makes more sense that way.

Aha Mr Dan .... one would have hoped so - but why then do they thank God, the Lord, Jesus Christ for the victory afterwards ?
21:40, Wed 22 Nov
They often thank the lord afterwards.

My point exactly .... out of curiosity i Googled the sorts of prayers they say before the games - and they always add in a prayer for the referees/umpires to free their minds from bias and make the right calls.

Which seems to me like an accusation that those referees/umpires may be biased if they aren't prayed for.
21:59, Wed 22 Nov
I’m as Non-Religious as you can get and think it’s all a load of man made fantasy, but I’ve often wondered if being religious is an advantage in sport, having a genuine belief that a superpower is helping you must be quite powerful, obviously there are loads of factors as to why a team does well but I wonder if it’s helped the likes of Brazil, Argentina over the years, I guess Germany would perhaps not support that notion.

Stepping up for a pen genuinely thinking a God has ensured you will score vs Stepping up knowing you’re a mammal with a cock and balls, covered with some fabric made in a factory, and it’s completely up to you if you try to stick it in the top bins, or pull your shorts down and do a turd in front of a worldwide audience, it makes me think

Thoughts?
Happy Clapper
22:16, Wed 22 Nov
I’m as Non-Religious as you can get and think it’s all a load of man made fantasy, but I’ve often wondered if being religious is an advantage in sport, having a genuine belief that a superpower is helping you must be quite powerful, obviously there are loads of factors as to why a team does well but I wonder if it’s helped the likes of Brazil, Argentina over the years, I guess Germany would perhaps not support that notion.

Stepping up for a pen genuinely thinking a God has ensured you will score vs Stepping up knowing you’re a mammal with a cock and ball, covered with some fabric made in a factory, and it’s completely up to you if you try to stick it in the top bins, or pull your shorts down and do a turd in front of a worldwide audience, it makes me think

Thoughts?

Wow .... i could write you 30 pages on stoicism to answer that

but, to stick to the theme .... the belief that "everything is God's will" can also help deal with defeat and failure more easily and make you less bothered. But you have to remember that those sportsmen who are religious don't just switch it on for games/matches, it's their whole life. So the support (i call it a crutch) that religion offers them is also what got them onto the pitch in the first place, so the high pressure parts of the game aren't necessarily "stand out moments".
I don't for one second believe that being religious makes someone a better player, or a team a better team (how many times have the USA won the World Cup ? and they are as religious as they come - more so than Brazil or Argentina). There was actually a poll in the USA and by 5 to 1 people wpuld rather have a Muslim as President than an atheist ("neither" wasn't an option). If you don't have supreme self-confidence, almpst tp the point of arrogance, then you can never be a supreme/successful athlete of any sort. Having confidence in yourself, whether or not you are religious, is what counts ... in my opinion
22:18, Wed 22 Nov
Thanks, always been something I’ve pondered.
Happy Clapper
22:22, Wed 22 Nov
Tarquin
Finally found his feet after Wes Harding baptised him in The Roost.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

We went through a phase of having these small, mercurial attacking midfield talents who all ended up flattering to deceive

Crowley
Mrabti
Villalba
Sanchez
23:20, Wed 22 Nov
I rated Mrabti and Sanchez, both very good on the ball.
09:29, Thu 23 Nov
Bluetone
I rated Mrabti and Sanchez, both very good on the ball.

Me too - probably not the right environment for either of those when they joined....
09:50, Thu 23 Nov
Disappointed it didn't work out for Sanchez, Villalba only showed glimpses he was very good in that game against Boro struggling apart from that
09:51, Thu 23 Nov
Le Mod

Stepping up for a pen genuinely thinking a God has ensured you will score vs Stepping up knowing you’re a mammal with a cock and balls, covered with some fabric made in a factory, and it’s completely up to you if you try to stick it in the top bins, or pull your shorts down and do a turd in front of a worldwide audience, it makes me think

Thoughts?

Yeah big agree with this. Crowley always had the ability and you could see that with some of the football he played under Pep, but it has never worked out for him. Could have been a lot of things.

If it is because he sometimes has a mental block on the pitch, believing that a celestial being is going to make him play well will be an advantage.

Also the off the pitch stuff mentioned by his manager:

"We have seen over the years bad examples of footballers, and they are there to be shot at and that is part and parcel of being a footballer.

"He [Crowley] is not out drinking, gambling and making a terrible example.

"He is making the best example - play on the pitch with passion and flare, then be humble and kind off the pitch. We should really embrace that more."
09:52, Thu 23 Nov
Sanchez was a lovely player, who probably played for us at the wrong time, under the wrong manager, in the wrong style of football, if he was bouncing passes off Laird, Stansfield and Miyoshi he'd have had a much better time, instead if was the likes of Gardner, Sunjic and Juke.
Happy Clapper
09:55, Thu 23 Nov
It’s confidence isn’t it. It’s where people get it from

Fair play to him having faith.

Bit weird though that him being a Christian has drew much attention at all, there’s hundreds of players that pray or bless themselves as they enter the pitch
09:57, Thu 23 Nov
Rags

Stepping up for a pen genuinely thinking a God has ensured you will score vs Stepping up knowing you’re a mammal with a cock and ball, covered with some fabric made in a factory, and it’s completely up to you if you try to stick it in the top bins, or pull your shorts down and do a turd in front of a worldwide audience, it makes me think

Thoughts?

Wow .... i could write you 30 pages on stoicism to answer that

but, to stick to the theme .... the belief that "everything is God's will" can also help deal with defeat and failure more easily and make you less bothered. But you have to remember that those sportsmen who are religious don't just switch it on for games/matches, it's their whole life. So the support (i call it a crutch) that religion offers them is also what got them onto the pitch in the first place, so the high pressure parts of the game aren't necessarily "stand out moments".
I don't for one second believe that being religious makes someone a better player, or a team a better team (how many times have the USA won the World Cup ? and they are as religious as they come - more so than Brazil or Argentina). There was actually a poll in the USA and by 5 to 1 people wpuld rather have a Muslim as President than an atheist ("neither" wasn't an option). If you don't have supreme self-confidence, almpst tp the point of arrogance, then you can never be a supreme/successful athlete of any sort. Having confidence in yourself, whether or not you are religious, is what counts ... in my opinion

Christians don't believe everything is God's will. They believe he bestowed free will on all and consequences will ensue.

AS Nick Cave said, he don't believe in an interventional God.
09:58, Thu 23 Nov
They can follow the Westboro Baptist Church if they score for tha Blues, Tom

Might be an idea for Hogan actually
Happy Clapper