Tam
17:19, Thu 23 Nov
Tarquin
I shit myself walking over the bridge at Selfridge's even though it has screens up either side.

That might be an age thing, though. It's awful when there are no toilets handy. 😛
Make Blues Great Again
17:30, Thu 23 Nov
Le Mod
They talked about mental challenges of jumps at heights where the consequence was death, and how the only way they could do them was the unshakeable knowledge that they would not fail; because they knew they could do it 1000 times out of a 1000 at a low level, they knew they could do it 25 storeys up.

I always thought that kind of sport relied on adrenaline but it’s actually the opposite; utter calmness and belief is needed.

Watching those clips makes me feel sick, but that does make sense, and the logic is sound, must take elite mental fortitude to ensure that the logic overrides the fear that your body is probably naturally trying to induce.

I will admit they make me feel a weird cos I dislike heights but I’m also in awe of their athleticism and control.
17:33, Thu 23 Nov
Tam
Tam
Tarquin
I shit myself walking over the bridge at Selfridge's even though it has screens up either side.

That might be an age thing, though. It's awful when there are no toilets handy. 😛

It's heights. I can't bear them. When I see people dangling their legs over a cliff edge it absolutely freaks me out. That famous and iconic picture of the workers sat on the steel girders in Manhattan makes me feel sick.
17:40, Thu 23 Nov
El Mayor
It’s interesting you talk about extreme sports. During lockdown I got into watching Parkour on YouTube, and I watched “Roof Culture Asia”, a film made by a British parkour group.

They talked about mental challenges of jumps at heights where the consequence was death, and how the only way they could do them was the unshakeable knowledge that they would not fail; because they knew they could do it 1000 times out of a 1000 at a low level, they knew they could do it 25 storeys up.

I always thought that kind of sport relied on adrenaline but it’s actually the opposite; utter calmness and belief is needed.

The film was on Amazon Prime, would recommend it.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try and watch that.

I agree about the calmness and belief being required to carry out tasks, but would add - is it not the adrenaline (or similar chemical) which comes just afterwards that drives them to do it in the first place, to keep doing it and to continually try to push to the next level? For some it seems to act like a drug and they eventually cross a line where looking death in the eye is the daily norm and at that point everyday life starts looking very insignificant and lacklustre - IE - without the 'hit' they spiral into a kind of withdrawal and normal life doesn't give the hit at all because there's normally no eye-contact with mortality. I'm thinking extreme climbers, big-wave surfers, base-jumpers etc. For some of those the sport becomes the religion.
17:43, Thu 23 Nov
Tarquin
It's heights. I can't bear them. When I see people dangling their legs over a cliff edge it absolutely freaks me out. That famous and iconic picture of the workers sat on the steel girders in Manhattan makes me feel sick.

Don't google urban climbing 😉
JCL
18:18, Thu 23 Nov
Juat looked for it and not available at the moment.

However there is a decent film on there 'fine lines' which looks at and talks about reasons why these adventure sport athletes do it and what drives them
Everything in moderation, even moderation.
21:08, Thu 23 Nov
JCL
JCL
Juat looked for it and not available at the moment.

However there is a decent film on there 'fine lines' which looks at and talks about reasons why these adventure sport athletes do it and what drives them

Shame.

They’re “Storror” on YouTube - some of the film is in their videos there