23:48, Wed 22 Nov
You know those penalties that the ref gives and you think "well ....... technically it's a penalty but that's so soft it's stupid ?"

VAR now allowed to intervene

[www.theguardian.com]
06:25, Thu 23 Nov
More tat
06:31, Thu 23 Nov
Adding further layers of ‘interpretation’ won’t make this better. Be interesting to see how they attempt to identify what ‘soft’ is as by definition, it is squidgy around the edges and not absolute.

It is a fudge and will slow the game down even more.
08:37, Thu 23 Nov
VAR was never ‘not allowed’ to intervene on this.

The powers that be just want to deflect some of the heat from all the eff ups.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
08:51, Thu 23 Nov
Oh great, another bloke deciding whether he reckons it’s a pen or not, this is advanced stuff
Happy Clapper
09:07, Thu 23 Nov
It's becoming comical.

I reckon Howard Webb should just do the VAR himself, but then - who would he blame for not enforcing his ever changing recommendations?

What might work better is if they let the refs referee but make it ultra clear to them that piss weak fouls for barely any contact should not be given whether they are in the box or not.

After years of being assured that "Any contact is a foul" and that initiating contact and falling over is "clever" - we have been brainwashed into believing it must be true. Or at least some of us have.

If they stop giving fouls for any contact, then if an obvious one is missed VAR can step in at that point.

Meanwhile those of us who actually like football can watch a game of football.
09:46, Thu 23 Nov
It's becoming comical.

I reckon Howard Webb should just do the VAR himself, but then - who would he blame for not enforcing his ever changing recommendations?

What might work better is if they let the refs referee but make it ultra clear to them that piss weak fouls for barely any contact should not be given whether they are in the box or not.

After years of being assured that "Any contact is a foul" and that initiating contact and falling over is "clever" - we have been brainwashed into believing it must be true. Or at least some of us have.

If they stop giving fouls for any contact, then if an obvious one is missed VAR can step in at that point.

This. This is why you're my favourite poster on here Spike.
10:05, Thu 23 Nov
BlueFradge
It's becoming comical.

This. This is why you're my favourite poster on here Spike.

Seconded.
11:27, Thu 23 Nov
Very good post
12:46, Thu 23 Nov
Spike
It's becoming comical.

The voice of reason 👍