15:49, Wed 29 Nov
Current turnover is at 18 mil.

All the parachute teams have a turnover of at least 50 mil. Every season in the efl, there's between 6 and 9 parachute payment recipients.

Cooke has to raise the turnover by a minimum facto of 2.5, to even become competitive in the top 6 of the championship. Wazball needs to be so polished and slick, in order to compete with the flow of relegated teams, who all play the same way, but with far superior players.

The turnover part should be easy for GC to achieve, what with all his partnerships and new corporate class of sponsorship deals, but the football bit is not guaranteed at all.

How patient will Knighthead be? Will they hang around (carrying the losses) for 6/7 years if we are still struggling to tap the play off nut. It took golivan 9-10 years to reach their initial goal of promotion.
15:54, Wed 29 Nov
You don't have to do that necessarily. Those with high turnovers aren't always financially healthy and often have to make big decisions.

Look at the promoted teams, every year there's at least one without parachute payments

Luton
Forest
Brentford
Cardiff
Leeds
Brighton
Bournemouth
Boro
Leeds

All in recent years
15:58, Wed 29 Nov
The turnover part will not be easy either, far from it in fact.
Dan
16:00, Wed 29 Nov
3 of last years play-off teams had been in League One more recently than they'd been in the top division.
16:01, Wed 29 Nov
Dan
Exactly - it's just doesn't bear any reality to the truth that you can't compete with parachute payment teams.
16:24, Wed 29 Nov
Don't need parachute payments but for sure we need to increase revenue significantly - Did we say £17mill turnover at the min?

Fag packet calculation but we made about £4mill for the year ending June 2022 in gate receipts - with half a stadium shut - So you'd be hoping to double that in the next 18 months to 2 years. That takes you from £17mill to £21mill.

TV deal can be discounted really as everyone gets an increase.

Leaves a huge sum to be brought in commercially doesn't it?
16:25, Wed 29 Nov
Reply to you and Dan.
[committees.parliament.uk].

Rick Parry is a lot more clued up about this matter than me and he says the exact opposite to you. He gave an in depth answer in a recent interview that I watched.
Parachute teams are 3 times more likely to achieve promotion.
16:26, Wed 29 Nov
I can't quite work out why you think increasing our turnover by a factor of 2.5 will be 'easy for GC to achieve'?
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
16:31, Wed 29 Nov
GC said he'd done it before and there's no barrier to repeating his previous successes. He has outlined the vague proposals in his recent communications.

More detail from Parry here.
[offtheline599656488.wordpress.com]
16:48, Wed 29 Nov
Oldham
Exactly - it's just doesn't bear any reality to the truth that you can't compete with parachute payment teams.

Wagner mentioned it this week,

parachute payment teams have a 1 in 4 chance of promotion, everyone else 1 in 16
16:48, Wed 29 Nov
Gardner did a little presentation on it on Monday, though I can't remember all the stats

The first thing we need to try and do is actually start competing with the Non-Parachute clubs, Sunderland are top with £35 Million
Happy Clapper
16:49, Wed 29 Nov

Apologies for being pedantic

It's our revenue that is around £18 million

To poor accountants, financial managers, commercial managers etc , "turnover" is something completely different
16:52, Wed 29 Nov

To poor accountants, financial managers, commercial managers etc , "turnover" is something completely different

PS ... i hate to be a chip pisser, but to show you how difficult the job ahead is ... Villa's revenue is about £180 million - 10 times ours.

We are about 40th in the UK in terms of revenue at present (which is what Cook was talking about when he said we were 17th in the Championship in terms of revenue) .... but this IS the thing that Cook has shown himself to be superb at in the past

(snarky comment - ie .. not interfering with the football side )
17:11, Wed 29 Nov
Rags

Good point.

It's surprising how many people don't know the difference.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
17:16, Wed 29 Nov
Rags

Good point.

It's surprising how many people don't know the difference.

Yep ...

I actually didn't finish my point earlier .....

Villa's revenue is 10x ours at £180 million and they share the same demographic and geographic area