09:35, Sun 3 Dec
Can someone tag Rooney and Cook in this please?
09:37, Sun 3 Dec
There’s an interesting section in the ‘Mission to Burnley’ documentary where he says it takes at least 2 months to introduce a new playing philosophy to the players.
10:06, Sun 3 Dec
Ted Tin-man Mcminn
We certainly do not need to replace the entire squad. The majority of our players can easily play the more possession based game that we’re trying to implement. The problem is when you have 2 or 3 who can’t it all grinds to a halt. A new GK, CB and Striker would make a dramatic difference. The players have lost confidence, it only takes one or two and it spreads throughout the team. You could see it yesterday as clear as day- on the odd occasion we played quick one touch football we cut straight through them. The problem was as the crowd got anxious so did the players- then they were taking 3 or 4 touches to control the ball, then passing too slowly, putting each other under pressure. To play front foot attacking football the players need to be relaxed and confident, ours are neither. Rooney has got a problem which I’m not sure how he’s going to solve.

Indeed, this is what I saw yesterday. Players lost confidence and some decided to revert back to what they felt more comfortable with and it completely jumbled everything up, confusing players (Buchanan, who said as much in his interview) and compromising the whole team. Whatever the style of play it always requires everyone to conform to it, just one rebel undoes everything,. e.g. taking too long to pass, lobbing long balls up to Jukey, failing to move after the pass, etc.. This is why we appear to play very well for periods and look utterly woeful in between.
10:06, Sun 3 Dec
Too many managers these days insist on playing "their" way when they don't have the tools to do it. Nobody would behave like this in any other business.

I watch French L2 highlights on tv every weekend (better standard than parks football but often not by much) and every week I can guarantee that there'll be goals scored because some carthorse defender - no doubt acting under instruction - suddenly decides he's the reincarnation of Cruyff and decides to do something clever on the edge of his box. Why do they do it?

Having discovered on the training ground and (unnecessarily) on the pitch what the limitations are Rooney should rein in his ideas and not ask players to do things they're not comfortable doing. Assuming he doesn't relegate us first I hope he gets a couple of transfer windows and the resources to evolve the squad - I'm not a Rooney fan but the last thing we need is to carry on the ridiculous managerial merry-go-round - and until then he and the owners should be a bit more patient. World class football isn't going to be this season's thing.
masqueraiding as a intelligent person
What are they being asked to do that they’re not comfortable with? I really would like to know
Tony Fantastico
10:13, Sun 3 Dec
Rab C Nesbitt
What are they being asked to do that they’re not comfortable with?

Play Football.
10:14, Sun 3 Dec
I listened to JJ, after the match at Blackburn, he said he’s comfortable playing the way Rooney, wants because it’s what he’s always done. Eg playing football with the ball on the deck.

He also mentioned some of our players weren’t comfortable with it due to them playing for teams that played more direct previously.

Draw your conclusions from that.
Too many managers these days insist on playing "their" way when they don't have the tools to do it. Nobody would behave like this in any other business.

You’ve never worked in local government, have you
10:21, Sun 3 Dec
Mad Blue
Rab C Nesbitt
What are they being asked to do that they’re not comfortable with?

Play Football.
Most of these players have played in teams that play passing football. I think we’re giving them excuses and by doing that giving Rooney an excuse.
Ruddy out of yesterday’s starters the only one uncomfortable with his feet. Problem is Etheridge is worse. Laird, Sanderson, Aiwu, Buchanan, Bielik, Bacuna, Miyoshi, Stansfield, Dembele and Burke being unfamiliar or uncomfortable playing football (Burke aside maybe, but he looks uncomfortable on a pitch anyway) is just bollocks. Absolute bollocks imo of course
Tony Fantastico
For the last 9 years our managers have had to cut their cloth, we have had functional battling teams because we lacked quality to play a more expansive game. In the summer we were all pleased with the recruitment apart from no striker. Rooney has had enough time to assess the squad and to pick a team with a style of play. I can't see any progress just a huge decline all over the pitch. A motivated villa fan could not have inflicted more damage to the squad.
"I sought good judgment mostly by collecting instances of bad judgment, then pondering ways to avoid such outcomes."

— Source: The Psychology of Human Misjudgment
11:17, Sun 3 Dec
GBBlue
Not exactly the best example to demonstrate you should stick with what you know? One win against 10 men Sheff U aside they have been dreadful.

Besides we still get round to the fact that irrespective of what Rooney isn’t doing well at the moment the answer to success in this division is highly unlikely to be how Eustace, Bowyer or Rowett set up their teams.

This isn't true though is it. Luton got promoted just being tough to beat.

You mention eustace there asif he was overly negative. The football we played under him this season has been better than what we have played under rooney.

Points, goals, goals conceded all tell you that.