15:00, Sun 3 Dec
albeit from 10 years ago

[hbr.org]

Build properly from the bottom and reap the rewards later, then refresh every 4 years or so to maintain.
15:39, Sun 3 Dec
Cheers for that. I found this bit interesting.

The first thought of 99% of newly appointed managers is to make sure they win—to survive. So they bring experienced players in. That’s simply because we’re in a results-driven industry. At some clubs, you need only to lose three games in a row, and you’re fired. In today’s football world, with a new breed of directors and owners, I am not sure any club would have the patience to wait for a manager to build a team over a four-year period.

Winning a game is only a short-term gain—you can lose the next game. Building a club brings stability and consistency.
15:58, Sun 3 Dec
albeit from 10 years ago

[hbr.org]

Build properly from the bottom and reap the rewards later, then refresh every 4 years or so to maintain.

I read that best past part of a decade ago, but it's still very relevant. Thanks

==============================

"No one likes to be criticized. Few people get better with criticism; most respond to encouragement instead. So I tried to give encouragement when I could. For a player—for any human being—there is nothing better than hearing “Well done.” Those are the two best words ever invented. You don’t need to use superlatives."

=========================
16:02, Sun 3 Dec
Good post.

Well done
16:04, Sun 3 Dec
Gave encouragement when he could. Implies he gave encouragement when it was deserved, not necessarily to brick shithouse centre halves who can’t head the effing ball.
Maybe the same should apply to fans towards players and manager
Tony Fantastico
Yes Rab. Maybe it should.

I wonder what kindly words of encouragement were utilised when Fergie was perfecting his famed hairdryer treatment
Tam
16:27, Sun 3 Dec
A very interesting article - thanks for posting that.

I do agree very much with the basic premise of that and patience is definitely a virtue, if there's a clear plan ahead. We shouldn't forget that SAF was supposed to be one gam away from the sack until Mark Robins popped up with an equaliser in an FA Cup tie (at Forest IIRC).

I suppose a difference is, with the present appointment, that whereas Manchester United picked a manager who had gained a pretty impressive record by that time, we've chosen one that hasn't, particularly, and there's less belief that Rooney's the one to take us forward. A different appointment, and patience would have been in more supply, I reckon.

Even if Rooney isn't the right one, I don't have any doubt that we'll get it right, and that the philosophy of building from the ground up is the right one for the future.
Make Blues Great Again
17:19, Sun 3 Dec
Tam
Tam
A very interesting article - thanks for posting that.

I do agree very much with the basic premise of that and patience is definitely a virtue, if there's a clear plan ahead. We shouldn't forget that SAF was supposed to be one gam away from the sack until Mark Robins popped up with an equaliser in an FA Cup tie (at Forest IIRC).

I suppose a difference is, with the present appointment, that whereas Manchester United picked a manager who had gained a pretty impressive record by that time, we've chosen one that hasn't, particularly, and there's less belief that Rooney's the one to take us forward. A different appointment, and patience would have been in more supply, I reckon.

Even if Rooney isn't the right one, I don't have any doubt that we'll get it right, and that the philosophy of building from the ground up is the right one for the future.

Spot on Tam 👍👍
19:36, Sun 3 Dec
Spot on Tam 👍👍

He usually is
Tam
19:45, Sun 3 Dec
That's very kind and way, way too generous! 💙
Make Blues Great Again
22:25, Sun 3 Dec
Rags
albeit from 10 years ago

[hbr.org]

I read that best past part of a decade ago, but it's still very relevant. Thanks

==============================

"No one likes to be criticized. Few people get better with criticism; most respond to encouragement instead. So I tried to give encouragement when I could. For a player—for any human being—there is nothing better than hearing “Well done.” Those are the two best words ever invented. You don’t need to use superlatives."

=========================

The most basic and obvious part of a teacher’s job. Three sentences - 1st Praise, 2nd advice, and 3rd praise again at the end.

Criticism does nobody any favours whatsoever
[youtube.com]

Into The Shadows 2024 Tour Dates -

17 Feb - Theatre Severn, Shrewsbury
2 Mar - Taachi Morris Arts Centre, Taunton
30 Mar - Prince Of Wales Theatre, Cannock
20 Apr - Brewhouse Arts Centre, Burton on Trent
7 June - Theatre On The Steps, Bridgnorth
8 June - Theatre On The Steps, Bridgnorth
28 Sept - Exmouth Pavilion
18 Oct - Garrick Theatre, Lichfield
19 Oct - Garrick Theatre, Lichfield