10:12, Mon 4 Dec
Where did the bottom pic come from?

[assets.publishing.service.gov.uk]
10:54, Mon 4 Dec
Thanks, so glad the government have my safety in mind.

The electric option at the end is clean and has no impact similar to EVs?
11:01, Mon 4 Dec
I think the infographic is saying there are no particulate emissions at the point of use.

Very little UK electricity comes from burning 'solids' these days and gas doesn't produce much in the way of particulates. Also a large power station is likely to be set to work at the point of maximum efficiency and have 'scrubbers' for removing particulate pollution etc which obviously wouldn't apply in a home use log burner scenario.
11:11, Mon 4 Dec
lowercaser
I think the infographic is saying there are no particulate emissions at the point of use.

But the implication of it could have a greater impact further backwards in the chain along with extra demands on infrastructure etc is that taken into account?
13:51, Mon 4 Dec
I'm wood powered in regards of heating and hot water in winter.

I have a bosky for the central heating but most of the time use the 10KW wood stove. The bosky can burn coal but we don't.

We're carbon neutral as we grow our own wood fuel. As the saying goes "a wood stove warms you twice" but it's more than that with the planting, weeding, thinning, harvesting, and moving. It also make you more frugal.

The wood shed has 5 bays one for each year so by the time its up for burning it's had 4 or 5 years to season.

[postimg.cc]

I don't usually light a stove until 4ish and it's usually on for around 4-5 hours. We don't light both at the same time and I use about a wheely bin of wood a week.

The kettles on the stove are for washing up and act as heat stores as does the adobe blocks behind. We also usually cook on the stove if it's on.

[postimg.cc]
14:16, Mon 4 Dec
bbtl
We're carbon neutral as we grow our own wood fuel.

But as the link shared by Qb shows, that isn't really true.
The cold never bothered me anyway
14:17, Mon 4 Dec
I'm wood powered in regards of heating and hot water in winter.

I have a bosky for the central heating but most of the time use the 10KW wood stove. The bosky can burn coal but we don't.

We're carbon neutral as we grow our own wood fuel. As the saying goes "a wood stove warms you twice" but it's more than that with the planting, weeding, thinning, harvesting, and moving. It also make you more frugal.

The wood shed has 5 bays one for each year so by the time its up for burning it's had 4 or 5 years to season.

[postimg.cc]

I don't usually light a stove until 4ish and it's usually on for around 4-5 hours. We don't light both at the same time and I use about a wheely bin of wood a week.

The kettles on the stove are for washing up and act as heat stores as does the adobe blocks behind. We also usually cook on the stove if it's on.

[postimg.cc]

That wood burner looks gorgeous.
Seriously I am jealous.😉
14:57, Mon 4 Dec
Rasputin
bbtl

It’s as true as most the other larger corporations etc that “pay” to have zero emissions
15:02, Mon 4 Dec
Woodwarm can’t go wrong. Any size any fuel. Had them for forty years sold my old one for near to the price that I brought it for.
The Sixth Mass Extinction is here.
15:03, Mon 4 Dec
Thank God you’re still with us.
15:04, Mon 4 Dec
bbtl

Well our woodland has been managed for at least the last 300 years probably over 500 when I think of the buildings and history. We have 12 acres and 3 active wood stoves. We grow more wood than we burn and we burn what we gather during routine maintenance and thinning. Our planting is based on a 25 year rotation and I've lived here since 1995.
15:37, Mon 4 Dec
It’s been happening since medieval times. ‘Tis called “coppicing” . According to a silviculturalist I met on the train to Paddington I live in the fastest growing woodland area in England (The Tamar Valley where the oak for Drake’s ships was allegedly grown) and we do ours every ten to fifteen years.
The Sixth Mass Extinction is here.
16:47, Mon 4 Dec
It’s been happening since medieval times. ‘Tis called “coppicing” . According to a silviculturalist I met on the train to Paddington I live in the fastest growing woodland area in England (The Tamar Valley where the oak for Drake’s ships was allegedly grown) and we do ours every ten to fifteen years.

Rotation time is of course dependant on the woodland size, tree type/age, and harvesting rate.

We only coppice willow and hazel as a rule, though we did to save the elm when Dutch elm disease was sweeping through the wood. The beetle prefers large trees so coppicing removes them from the beetle and keeping the tree alive while the beetles sweep up n down the country. We still have some elm because we did this.

Natural regeneration tends to fill in the odd gaps, and where we have clear areas, due to say storm damage. We may clear fell and replant. This tends to be small areas usually about a quarter acre at a time.