19:01, Tue 5 Dec
I've just listened to the latest podcast in the 'Gangsters' series on BBC Sounds. It's not as riveting at the John Palmer or Paul Massey podcasts but it's chilling to be reminded just how out of control Brum was back then. It makes you wonder just how bad things would have been allowed to get if they hadn't have cocked-up and murdered 2 innocent girls.

I never knew that Rob Rinder successfully defended one of the Johnson crew either.

It certainly makes the days of football hoolies smashing shopping centres up on Saturday afternoons seem fairly tame.
19:45, Tue 5 Dec
Worth noting, that the football scene back then, certainly wasn't all about matchday. That was a very small part of the week.
20:54, Tue 5 Dec
It’s crazy to think that they were named after some food & contraceptive made out of latex.
22:10, Tue 5 Dec
Really good podcast, that. I'm halfway through the final episode.

I remember growing up at the time and being told to never go to Handsworth or Lozells for that exact reason.

Plenty of good voices and stories shared in the series too
22:14, Tue 5 Dec
I've Really enjoyed them as well...was fascinated by the Curtis Warren one as I'd never heard of him/remembered him. Very colourful character
22:29, Tue 5 Dec
I'm halfway through. The Yardies... Bloody hell they sounded vicious. Interesting to hear how the Johnson's started though.
23:08, Tue 5 Dec
Minor claim to fame, I was present when one of the Johnson gang members was arrested.

Nice lad only threatened to kill a couple of people was polite to others
23:19, Tue 5 Dec
The John Palmer one is the most fascinating. There was so much mystery and intrigue about his whole life, not to mention his death.
06:08, Wed 6 Dec
Jonnies stands for Johnson it’s got nothing to do with contraception.

Aston, Lozells, Handsworth and New Town, were my stomping ground throughout first and Secondary school.

My mum moved us out in the late 70’s. Even in those days the schools use to fight each other and knives were used in the most extreme cases.
07:31, Wed 6 Dec
Clapton
Jonnies stands for Johnson it’s got nothing to do with contraception.

Aston, Lozells, Handsworth and New Town, were my stomping ground throughout first and Secondary school.

My mum moved us out in the late 70’s. Even in those days the schools use to fight each other and knives were used in the most extreme cases.

Exactly it was named after a cock who also later went on to become Prime Minister.
09:49, Wed 6 Dec
They were named after their hang outs?

Johnson’s Cafe not a sheath 😂
12:33, Wed 6 Dec
My Blue Heaven
They were named after their hang outs?

Johnson’s Cafe not a sheath 😂

What was the Asian gang who were about at that time too? Was it the Panthers, or something like that?
13:05, Wed 6 Dec
Miguelagenn
The John Palmer one is the most fascinating. There was so much mystery and intrigue about his whole life, not to mention his death.

Goldfinger? Dodgy as hell but nice bloke. Pissed a lot of people off especially in Tenerife
13:14, Wed 6 Dec
bluer than blues
The Yardies... Bloody hell they sounded vicious.

i remember the first allegedly yardie moving into the maypole in the late 80s. he was a proper nutter, i dont think anyone ever found out if he was or whether he just played on it to scare people, but he did get a lad i know into the back of a BMW and threatened him with a sawn off shotgun after a spot of bother turned a bit nasty and a kid ended up in intensive care.
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
20:55, Wed 6 Dec
The acapulco was the BURGERS resident meet up.. i used it regularly in the 80's and was alway's full of DA BOYZ..