01:21, Sat 9 Dec
Given that both our performance and results were better when we played 4231 earlier in the season, is there any room in 'Wazball' or 'no fear' football for it to return, or have we associated it so heavily with our former boss that it's now impossible for Rooney to use.

I'd argue there should be room to play 4231 in a way which is braver than we did at Norwich and is a blend of both. Also, we only have one striker who can both press and score goals (Stansfield), so until Jan at least, it'd be the system that best suites the players we have.

Without knowing what's going on with Sanderson and Drameh injuries, I don't see why we can't start like this for Weds at Cardiff:

--------------------Ruddy------------------
Drameh---Sanderson---Aiwu---Buchanan
-----------James----Sunjic-------
Bacuna-------Miyoshi--------Dembele
----------------Stansfield-----------------

It isn't perfect, but at least it has two full backs, five midfielders and a striker who can all do three key things - control a ball, pass the ball and run. Anyone who can't do all three shouldn't be starting for us e.g. Juke, Bielik, Burke.
01:28, Sat 9 Dec
Newblue, I think, comments often that Villa Johns football this season was better than last. I’d tend to agree. We would have spells when we looked cohesive and threatening before retreating into our shell.

Maybe there’s a middle way.
02:44, Sat 9 Dec
Agree!
Tha Project OBE
Newblue, I think, comments often that Villa Johns football this season was better than last. I’d tend to agree. We would have spells when we looked cohesive and threatening before retreating into our shell.

Maybe there’s a middle way.

This is what people were saying immediately when the decision was made.

Evolution not revolution.

Blindingly obvious to everyone except Rooney, the board and a section of fans who would back anything the club does.

It's just common bloody sense.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
Exactly. Look at Howe and (begrudgingly) vile Emery. Both have taken the same core group of players and tweaked the systems bit by bit, using subsequent transfer windows to add players that allow them to go a little further each time.

Rooney and Cook have tried an overnight switch, which is why the comparisons with Zola as so strong. Had this been part of a summer rebuild, it may have worked but doing it during the season has destroyed all cohesion.

Personally, I thought the JE football pre-Christmas last year was very good.
08:55, Sat 9 Dec
Felix1875
Given that both our performance and results were better when we played 4231 earlier in the season, is there any room in 'Wazball' or 'no fear' football for it to return, or have we associated it so heavily with our former boss that it's now impossible for Rooney to use.

I'd argue there should be room to play 4231 in a way which is braver than we did at Norwich and is a blend of both. Also, we only have one striker who can both press and score goals (Stansfield), so until Jan at least, it'd be the system that best suites the players we have.

Without knowing what's going on with Sanderson and Drameh injuries, I don't see why we can't start like this for Weds at Cardiff:

--------------------Ruddy------------------
Drameh---Sanderson---Aiwu---Buchanan
-----------James----Sunjic-------
Bacuna-------Miyoshi--------Dembele
----------------Stansfield-----------------

It isn't perfect, but at least it has two full backs, five midfielders and a striker who can all do three key things - control a ball, pass the ball and run. Anyone who can't do all three shouldn't be starting for us e.g. Juke, Bielik, Burke.

At this stage it has nothing to do with formations I'm afraid. It's clear to see that not one of those players look interested. it's gone from needing to just get rid of dead wood/big contract players and bring in a few quality players. To bin the majority because they are not good enough to play this type of football.