13:21, Tue 12 Dec
Am having my back wall rerendered. Builder suggests taking the water from the valley roof into the soil pipe whereas currently it drops straight down a drainpipe into a drain. Mate at work thinks this is a bad idea because if the soil pipe blocks, then rain water will back up into your bath and bogs.

Any thoughts?
13:37, Tue 12 Dec
Large portion of houses have a combined drain, that you are proposing.

Actually more chance of the sewage pipe blocking than rainwater
What did the Knights in White satin?
13:41, Tue 12 Dec
Your not meant to do it but Plenty of people do it. It's not that much of a problem to be honest. If your soil pipe blocks then you will end up with soiled waste backing up into your bath and toilet anyway, but generally you'll notice a problem with your drainage before that happens.
It's more of a problem having soiled waste going to a storm drain.
14:03, Tue 12 Dec
Am having my back wall rerendered. Builder suggests taking the water from the valley roof into the soil pipe whereas currently it drops straight down a drainpipe into a drain. Mate at work thinks this is a bad idea because if the soil pipe blocks, then rain water will back up into your bath and bogs.

Any thoughts?

To be honest it's probably a bad idea and one that should only be used as an absolute last resort. You are adding to the potential for a soil pipe blockage due to moss/leaves etc from the roof via gutter unless you are willing to think of a way to stop that and then constantly happy to go up to the gutter level and clear any build up

A soil pipe should be sealed and there are regulations on how it should be vented - usually well above the eaves. By adding the downpipe into the system then you would be technically venting the system through the guttering.

You CAN get 68 to 110mm adaptors for connecting rainwater to drainage, but any rainwater pipes should then be connected to a combined sewer via some sort of trap, or you'll have the foul odours from the drains venting back up the rainwater downpipe. By simply connecting the down pipe into the soil pipe wouldn't, in my opinion. allow him to "trap the setup" - so probably wouldn't work.

Please note : all of this this (above and below) is my opinion and not given as definitive

Obviously technically it's possible and you may get a result that aesthetically looks better (less pipes on the wall) - but i wouldn't do it ...... but i would consider getting rainwater downpipes replaced with ones that match the render colour closely- always looks better from a distance

PS ..if it was a new build and everything was being designed with this in mind then it's not a problem - but you're not building/deigning a system here, you're asking an existing one to perform an extra function
14:08, Tue 12 Dec

Any thoughts?

PS ... WHY is he suggesting this ?
14:09, Tue 12 Dec
Avoid it if you can
14:15, Tue 12 Dec
PPS .... another point (taken from elsewhere)

"You could do it but you would need to get permission from whichever Water Authority has adopted the Foul Drainage rising main which is normally in the road. Some Authorities allow combined sewer as the rainwater flushes the foulwater. However they would normally make an assesment of the capacity of the existing foul run and its gradient and the incidence of rainfall in your area. if you connected into the stack it would have to be at the lowest point possible, the connection would need to be trapped and have an access piece and the Outlet at the gutter would need a leaf guard. It would probably be more trouble than its worth and I doubt if the Water Authority would grant permission."
14:17, Tue 12 Dec
Rags

Any thoughts?

Just from aesthetics really...he said either is fine with him.
14:21, Tue 12 Dec
Rags

Any thoughts?

Just from aesthetics really...he said either is fine with him.

Aha ... then i wouldn't do it - undoubtedly it would look aesthetically better but every time there is a massive storm i'd be worried that the extra surge could overwhelm things. ... personally i'd go the route f replacing rainwater pipe with one that matches render colour

Is it just rendering or an entire External Wall Insulation system ? If it's an EWI then for aesthetics lone you could create an entire channel in the EWI and have a removeable metal cover over the top of the channel in same colour as finish ? , but then you'd get a cold spot all along that channel which is why it's usually only used as a solution in blocks of flats
shd
14:26, Tue 12 Dec
Haircut1000

Any thoughts?

If it goes into a water drain or soakaway currently, why does he want to stick it in the soil stack ?
If everyone did that imagine when it hammers it down just what effect that has on the sewerage system and processing plants
10:48, Wed 13 Dec
shd
Thanks everyone. I have advised my builder to let the roof water not run into the soil pipe but just go into the drain as now. He was fine with that but I'm glad I asked you lot before deciding.
10:58, Wed 13 Dec
We're Blues fella, we're used to dealing with issues of shite.
shd
16:24, Wed 13 Dec
Haircut1000
Thanks everyone. I have advised my builder to let the roof water not run into the soil pipe but just go into the drain as now. He was fine with that but I'm glad I asked you lot before deciding.

Right decision 👍