17:16, Mon 18 Dec
Hi guys,

Just a bit of a public service announcement really.

I've spent the last few decades chain smoking, knowing it's bad/unhealthy/smelly and the rest. It's a bad habit I picked up at a young age, around 9/10 years old (Yes I was one of those stupid kids that you see). A couple of weeks ago I noticed an odd lump on one of my tonsils whilst brushing my teeth, which had started bleeding slighty. After a quick visit to my GP I was fast tracked to see an ENT at the Queen Elizabeth for a biopsy. I can now say with confidence that having your throat snipped with scissors whilst fully conscious is about as fun as it sounds and may have finally stopped me smoking after MANY previous half-arsed attempts. Wish me luck!

I'm still waiting for the results of the biopsy but the doctor is 90% confident it is nothing to worry about but please don't be me.

Any tips from smokers of the past?
17:19, Mon 18 Dec
My grandad lived until 110
Paul Scholes could find Madeline Mccann with a pass
17:19, Mon 18 Dec
You are doing the right thing - it's never too late to kick a bad habit.
Up the feckin Blues
17:20, Mon 18 Dec
That's good enough for me. Off to the shop!
Roj
17:21, Mon 18 Dec
Do not count the days. It may seem great to say I quit 7 days ago...NO just say from day 1 you are a non-smoker. It'll help you reboot your mindset.
No luck needed just positivity.
Well done.
17:22, Mon 18 Dec
I stopped smoking when someone told me it straight, so I'll do the same for you.

Smoking is not only bad/unhealthy/smelly. Most of all it's an incredibly selfish habit. When it inevitably catches up with you, it's your loved ones who suffer the most.

Every smoker knows this, but knowing it and hearing (or reading) it are two different things. You've heard it from a former chainsmoker yourself now, so no excuses. If you continue, you're just being a horrible git at the expense of your significant other, your kids, their kids, etc.

All the best with the biopsy and of course, good luck quitting. It'll be the best decision you've ever made.
17:23, Mon 18 Dec
Smelly
That's good enough for me. Off to the shop!

He didn't smoke, he just minded his own business
Paul Scholes could find Madeline Mccann with a pass
17:34, Mon 18 Dec
I remember the sweet smell of tobacco from The Kop in the 70’s. It went a long way to mask the stench of piss. Todays rancid fags just smell of chemicals.
17:55, Mon 18 Dec
What Yeehah said and the very best of luck to you.
"Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men, for the nastiest of reasons, will somehow work together for the benefit of all".
J.M. Keynes.
18:13, Mon 18 Dec
There was a bloke at my work, Nigerian. He took up smoking because in his words "people who smoke look cool". I laughed thinking he was joking.
18:21, Mon 18 Dec
I finally quit last year after multiple attempts. Not sure how strong your willpower is, mine is non-existent so I needed a substitute as I couldn't go cold turkey.

Nordic Spirit nicotine pouches and lots of chewing gum got me through the first few months and then slowly weaned myself off the nicotine pouches. They're still harmful, but a hell of a lot less so than fags.
18:27, Mon 18 Dec
Quit during Covid and started vaping, which was more difficult to quit than smoking.

Cold turkey, willpower and you'll feel great as the weeks go bye.

Good luck
18:33, Mon 18 Dec
I was in hospital in my early 20s, the guy in the bed next to me was a chain smoker, still smoking and in to have half of his throat cut out. What was left was black and purple and he had pretty much lost the ability to speak. It was as sobering as it gets.
18:41, Mon 18 Dec
Quick tip .. put patches on your eyes then you can’t find the fags !! . Seriously thou mate all good wishes . We are ALL with you. KRO.
18:48, Mon 18 Dec
Stopped fullstops. If I cracked I bought a packet smoked half and forced myself to destroy the rest of the packet. In disgust. That soon stopped me - mind you cheaper then in the 1980s's.
Also never liked a fag after mint so sucked Trebor mints . If you can't do cold turkey, I did read once that you should cut out the most pleasurable fags i.e. the first one in the morning and anyone after food, and when having a tot. the fat from the food coats the tongue makes the smoke more enjoyable.
Good luck hope you are clear- if so and tempted to carry on read up on Emphysema