It’s not just going to be in Europe. They can’t wait to have the games played across Asia, America etc.

Then it won’t be too long until they start including the Saudi teams, MLS etc.

I hope it happens tbh. eff those participating off for good.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
12:05, Thu 21 Dec
BlueSA
Their proposal says 16 teams in the first 2 divisions and 32 in the lower one.

If they had a home and away format that would leave their 3rd division teams playing 62 league games a season. Can't see that being popular.

That is way too ambitious really.

3rd Division North and South innit.

30 games a season per club.

It will be basically every midweek, plus a couple of weekends.
12:30, Thu 21 Dec
Their proposal says 16 teams in the first 2 divisions and 32 in the lower one.

If they had a home and away format that would leave their 3rd division teams playing 62 league games a season. Can't see that being popular.

That is way too ambitious really.

No. 16 teams in the first two divisions, each split into groups of 8
32 in the lower one, also split into groups of 8
So 14 games each.

Two from top and middle relegated to the division below, two from middle and bottom promoted to the division above.

Of the 32 bottom division teams 20 are “relegated” from the competition and 20 new clubs brought in depending on league standings in various world leagues.
12:32, Thu 21 Dec
As I understand it the league will operate in tandem with domestic leagues I.e replacing current europa competitions.

Not a breakaway from the PL etc.
bluer than blues
What does that even mean? How can they "hand over the game"? Are you saying the EU comms can stop football being played in the UK? In Spain? In Germany?
The Saudis can set up a global league, pay big clubs to enter it, and the FA/UEFA/FIFA will have no right to bar the clubs or players from FA/UEFA/FIFA tournaments.

Then how big is the World Cup going to be? Right now every nation has a potential stake in it. When the "World" Cup is Ronaldo's Renegades v Messi's Marauders, would you give a toss?
12:36, Thu 21 Dec
Here’s the video [twitter.com]
bluer than blues
So you're angry that they haven't enforced regulation. I thought the reason so many voted for Brexit was that they wanted less intervention and regulation?
There are big misunderstandings about regulation. It should only be a catalyst - accelerating what the common law would achieve. But everyone (including the ECJ today) misses that football a) is not a free market but a captive one and b) that the true market value is not properly catered for BECAUSE of cartelism; Man U v Bournemouth only gets 70,000 turn up BECAUSE BOURNEMOUTH TURN UP but they don't get the 50% their contribution requires.
12:51, Thu 21 Dec
United Bayern and Atletico have all come out against it already, can’t see it happening in this format although i suspect the Saudi’s get their claws in somehow eventually
12:53, Thu 21 Dec
The ECJ has judges from each EU member state. Ah guess which country is no longer represented in the court? Another negative of Brexit...we have no influence but must abide by decisions. Worst of both worlds.
13:17, Thu 21 Dec
BluSabre
As I understand it the league will operate in tandem with domestic leagues I.e replacing current europa competitions.

Not a breakaway from the PL etc.

That's whats happening. 16 games is no different to what the successful clubs play in Europe anyway.
13:22, Thu 21 Dec
I think we should have one league of 92 teams. Play each other home and away until complete, have two weeks off and start again.
13:43, Thu 21 Dec
United have said they won't be joining. It will need the English clubs to enter for it to be a success.
14:13, Thu 21 Dec
The Devlin Disguise
bluearmyfaction
And people STILL wonder why Britain voted Brexit.

The fannys on the ECJ are a prime reason for it. A court so intellectually vapid it makes the SCOTUS look competent. Its role is not judicial, but political, and this is further acquis communautaire. More power to the EU Commission, less to the people.

What is 'political' about this judgement though? It's a fairly dry argument about competition law (and presumably freedom of movement for workers, like the Bosman ruling). How is that political other than in a very abstract way, given that free markets are essentially the point of the EU and is written into the laws? It's not really any more or less political than UK courts making judgements about tax law, mergers etc.

Because Brexiteers will grasp at anything to try to cover the fact that nothing they said would happen has happened.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
15:03, Thu 21 Dec
Okay, as an oldie who still hasn't got used to three points for a win would any of you knowledgeable posters explain the "Super League" to me in simple terms? Yes, I know that it won't affect Blues! Thanks so much.
15:09, Thu 21 Dec
It's hard to say really as the concept keeps changing but the original system was a league for the so-called elite clubs in Europe (mainly the US owned English clubs) from which they could never be relegated.