09:30, Thu 28 Dec
On 28 December 1963, I went to St Andrew's for the first time. Because you'll want to know, lost 4-1 to a mediocre Arsenal side in the old first division. A few days later, I went again. Lost at home, 2-1, to Port Vale from the fourth division in the FA Cup. I think you can say that a tone was set.

Any rough estimate tells me that even with other parts of my life preventing regular attendance between my 20s and 40s, I'm well past four figures for home games and you can stir a few hundred away trips too.

Eight promotions, nine relegations, five last-day escapes, four play-off defeats, two unsuccessful League Cup semi-finals, three unsuccessful FA Cup semi finals. One glorious cup win. A few sensational wins against the neighbours and the night of nights in Bruges.

Like all of us - especially as I've got older - I try to keep it all in perspective. War, famine, tyranny and climate catastrophe are on our doorstep. Why on earth should I allow a bunch of blokes who care very little for my city or heritage - and who I probably wouldn't like if I met them - have such an impact on my mood? I know the rational way to think: it's just that I don't always do it.

And I've decided to offer you these doddery musings because, justifiably, we're all in a lather about the current mess our (yes, our) club finds itself in. Well, it's been a lot, lot worse. Will things ever get better? I have sense that they may, given the outward ambition of these new owners, but football is, like all sport, blessed with glorious uncertainty.....and we know what our history tells us. Just enjoy the ride, grumbling as we go.

I won't be around in sixty years' time, but anyone taking their nipper for the first time tomorrow, you'll be giving them an education for life - along with fun, friendship, great stories and the very occasional success - so you'll be doing them a proper service.

KRO - see you tomorrow for 60 years plus a day

Hugging Strangers: [www.amazon.co.uk] Thousands of copies sold - none in the BCFC shop
09:31, Thu 28 Dec
So in other words we've generally always been crap and probably always will be.

Great.

Just looked it up - straight after losing to Arsenal and Port Vale as you described we then went to beat Man United away, who would have had Charlton, Law (maybe even Best) lining up.

Football is effing bonkers sometimes.
09:38, Thu 28 Dec
JonB
On 28 December 1963, I went to St Andrew's for the first time. Because you'll want to know, lost 4-1 to a mediocre Arsenal side in the old first division. A few days later, I went again. Lost at home, 2-1, to Port Vale from the fourth division in the FA Cup. I think you can say that a tone was set.

Any rough estimate tells me that even with other parts of my life preventing regular attendance between my 20s and 40s, I'm well past four figures for home games and you can stir a few hundred away trips too.

Eight promotions, nine relegations, five last-day escapes, four play-off defeats, two unsuccessful League Cup semi-finals, three unsuccessful FA Cup semi finals. One glorious cup win. A few sensational wins against the neighbours and the night of nights in Bruges.

Like all of us - especially as I've got older - I try to keep it all in perspective. War, famine, tyranny and climate catastrophe are on our doorstep. Why on earth should I allow a bunch of blokes who care very little for my city or heritage - and who I probably wouldn't like if I met them - have such an impact on my mood? I know the rational way to think: it's just that I don't always do it.

And I've decided to offer you these doddery musings because, justifiably, we're all in a lather about the current mess our (yes, our) club finds itself in. Well, it's been a lot, lot worse. Will things ever get better? I have sense that they may, given the outward ambition of these new owners, but football is, like all sport, blessed with glorious uncertainty.....and we know what our history tells us. Just enjoy the ride, grumbling as we go.

I won't be around in sixty years' time, but anyone taking their nipper for the first time tomorrow, you'll be giving them an education for life - along with fun, friendship, great stories and the very occasional success - so you'll be doing them a proper service.

Hugging Strangers: [www.amazon.co.uk] Thousands of copies sold - none in the BCFC shop

Beautiful, thanks! #KRO
Blue since 67 - Will be there at the end of the road, whenever that may be!
09:42, Thu 28 Dec
That was my first game as well.Stood as a nipper with my long gone and missed Dad.
Now sit in the Tilton with the Missus,son and Grandson.Still love it.
10:16, Thu 28 Dec
JonB

Well said Jon,been in it since 1980, my 1st game was promotion game against Notts County so guessing could only get worse and a lot of seasons it has. If anything I think this is when we are at our best fighting adversity.
Had your book as a present couple of years ago and would highly recommend to any Blues fan.
10:23, Thu 28 Dec
A fine post from the author of ‘Hugging Strangers’, a wonderful memoir of the life and times of a Blues supporter through the years.

Must order a new copy today. The very well thumbed original has been on a continuing journey across the West Midlands, having been read and enjoyed not just by myself, other Blues fans, but Viler and Baggies alike.
"Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men, for the nastiest of reasons, will somehow work together for the benefit of all".
J.M. Keynes.
10:57, Thu 28 Dec
I remember being at the Port Vale game. We weren’t doing very well and I thought we might at least win that one. I have a vague memory of their winning goal being a fairly comical OG off the knee of one
ours but memory could be playing tricks. It’s often been a trial hasn’t it😁. That season was another miraculous escape from the drop I think. We did have Bertie Auld to watch which was a trea.

Was a bit shocked to see that Alex Harley who probably played in that game died as 33.
14:39, Thu 28 Dec
👏
15:33, Thu 28 Dec
The Boxing Day match was the 67th anniversary of my first game.

A 4-0 win against Sheffield Wednesday.
www.sevenstarphotography.co.uk
21:43, Thu 28 Dec
Great post
2024 is my 50th year supporting Blues and I wouldn’t swop any of it - to really appreciate the highs you got to go through the lows

KRO
21:46, Thu 28 Dec
I effing hope we're going to get better

Weve been a lot better and can be again
22:24, Thu 28 Dec
Why does football affect your mood? That is such a good question as it is so irrational. It is all relative: I talked to a Premier League fan who fumes when a VAR goes against them. A minor injustice burns for them as badly as us on our latest massive run of defeats.

PS Jon's book is excellent.
07:49, Fri 29 Dec
Good read as usual JonB.