20:57, Sat 30 Dec
I’m the idiot that defended Karanka until his final days. “Look what he did at Middlesbrough”… “The rot is deep, he just needs more time”… I’m fighting that same voice now.

I can’t help but think, given how we played at times against Plymouth and Leicester especially, that we are just a couple of months away from looking quality under Rooney. I’m also looking at things out of the manager’s control: a horrid streak of injuries, some awful individual errors from experienced players that have cancelled out several would-be wins…

Don’t get me wrong, I see the issues too. I can’t get my head around some of the defensive shapes we are attempting, especially considering so many players are playing out of position due to the aforementioned injury crisis. Our line has been suicidally high at times, and for little tactical gain. And then there’s the substitutes…

I just hate turning on our own, you know? Shouldn’t we wait to see what the transfer window brings? Or am I all alone again? Seems like the fans have well and truly turned against him now. The only way to get them back is to start winning convincingly and immediately, which I frankly can’t see happening.

Whatever happens, I know these owners will get it right in the end. I’m not stressed. KRO
21:06, Sat 30 Dec
It’s not really hopelessly optimistic. I’m not really optimistic but I do believe the fella, any fella, should be given a fair chance. Plenty will say 13 games is a fair chance, I don’t think it is. Taking into account the inability to pick loads and loads of players who would be first or second choice firms my view up on that.

We have players coming back, probably players coming in, let’s see how the next 13 games go, hopefully with better players consistently available.
21:07, Sat 30 Dec
I’m with you
21:10, Sat 30 Dec
Id love Rooney to work.

I'd like us to support him over the next 3 weeks (ie. 1 week before close of the window end, if we are bringing in another manager).

If potential signings the club has identified to improve us (GK + 2 strikers to replace Stansfield and Hogan) they may be sold the dream based on Rooney's name - the club won't pull that trigger just yet.

Obviously if we catch a 6-0 battering it may be academic.
Birmingham City: coming up with new ways to ruin your weekend since 1875
21:14, Sat 30 Dec
^^^^^^

proper Blues
21:17, Sat 30 Dec
Fwiw i was one of the forst to call for karankas head.

This feels different.

I hope it comes good.
21:19, Sat 30 Dec
Fat Buddha CBE
It’s not really hopelessly optimistic. I’m not really optimistic but I do believe the fella, any fella, should be given a fair chance. Plenty will say 13 games is a fair chance, I don’t think it is. Taking into account the inability to pick loads and loads of players who would be first or second choice firms my view up on that.

We have players coming back, probably players coming in, let’s see how the next 13 games go, hopefully with better players consistently available.

But after that 14 games (as it is now) Rooney and his coaching staff have not improved any player (jj looks better but thats because he is playing) every other player looks either no better (a few) or a lot worse (quite a lot)
We still have no discernable style of play.
I still can not see how we intent to create chances or score
Defencively we are often a shambles
Rooneys substitutions are strange at best.
After 14 games this is not acceptable nor is 10 points out of a possible 42 from those 14 games.
If we had played well in most of those games, looked organised, or had a lot of bad luck I could see you point.
We haven't we have been awful its time for him to go ASAP
The fact that Jellyfish have survived for 500 million years without a brain, must give hope to a lot of people
21:21, Sat 30 Dec
I'd love Rooney to go to Leeds and win 3-0 to shut everyone up.

And yes, he's had injuries to players who'd start (but appear to be made of glass) so it's not been perfect.

And Cooke gave him a terrible handicap with the "no fear" stuff.

But after nearly 3 months here, I dont think he's improved anything in how we play, and I still don't see how he wants to play as it changes all the time. I'm not sure we've got much to manoeuvre with in Jan to make it "his" squad, and part of me thinks it might already be too late to rebuild the relationship with the fans as I think this is, unfortunately, the most toxic I can remember.

I'm not saying sack him right now, but if we get properly done by Leeds, I think he'll have to beat Swansea at home or its curtains. And I dont think he could argue much against it.
21:25, Sat 30 Dec
I respect everyone’s views here. But I’m afraid I can’t share your optimism at all. My youngest lad is 13. Last night, for the first time in about 8 years of regular games, he told me he didn’t want to come. Said he was sick of going to games where we lose, where he sits in silence with nothing to sing or cheer about.

He’s been to matches regularly for years through thick and plenty of thin, always enjoyed it. This is heart-breaking to me though. It’s the worst I’ve felt about Blues, especially given the initial optimism last summer.

Another 13 games of this tripe and he will be lost to the cause. It just isn’t going to work, is it surely? There's just nothing to suggest it will.
21:26, Sat 30 Dec
Sorry, this is the optimists thread. The “Rooney’s gorra goo” threads are that way ⬇️

And ⬆️➡️⬅️↘️↙️↖️↗️ that way as well.
Tam
21:26, Sat 30 Dec
number8

And yes, he's had injuries to players who'd start (but appear to be made of glass) so it's not been perfect.

But after nearly 3 months here, I dont think he's improved anything in how we play, and I still don't see how he wants to play as it changes all the time. I'm not sure we've got much to manoeuvre with in Jan to make it "his" squad, and part of me thinks it might already be too late to rebuild the relationship with the fans as I think this is, unfortunately, the most toxic I can remember.

I'm not saying sack him right now, but if we get properly done by Leeds, I think he'll have to beat Swansea at home or its curtains. And I dont think he could argue much against it.

I think that this is an important point. Goodwill buys time and I've never known a manager arrive in such an atmosphere of negativity. I do feel sorry for him in that respect as it really was the 'perfect storm' surrounding his arrival. He really does need a win or two from somewhere, but I get the feeling that he'll never be popular enough with our fans to be on a long leash, so to speak, unless he does remarkably well of course.
Make Blues Great Again
21:31, Sat 30 Dec
I think we'll get done comprehensively by Leeds.
Then go and win at Hull.
We are capable of putting together performances, and with Bielik back i think we'll be better structured in midfield.

I'm unconvinced Waz will properly turn it around, but we'll stay up this season.

The question is whether he is clueless or just tried to change too much at the start?
21:31, Sat 30 Dec
Tam
The club absolutely gave him a hospital pass with the timing and press conference.

But he's dealt with pressure at the highest level in this sport, and I assume he felt he could handle it. It's not worked so far, I hope he can turn it around but I think he's getting a little desperate.

Maybe desperation will drive a performance at Leeds...
21:33, Sat 30 Dec
Went far too far at the start, reckon he wishes he could have those first couple of games back.
number8

True story. A poster got pelters for spelling Cook with an 'e' the other day.
They're coming to take me away haha hehe haha