08:11, Wed 3 Jan
Anyone ever been? Booked for April. Just after any basic advice (not about which sights to see, as there are plenty of the most popular excursions built in to the itinerary). So, more stuff like what to pack, recommended vaccinations, acceptance of credit cards/ price of meals, how much to tip -all that kind of stuff.

If anyone can recommend any books, guides that they found particularly useful, that’d be great.

TIA.
08:22, Wed 3 Jan
Very jealous - I booked a fortnight there which would see me and my missus travel all around the country, including an England Test match. About a week before we were due to fly they were added to the red list of countries for Covid so it was all cancelled :-(
08:49, Wed 3 Jan
Anyone ever been? Booked for April. Just after any basic advice (not about which sights to see, as there are plenty of the most popular excursions built in to the itinerary). So, more stuff like what to pack, recommended vaccinations, acceptance of credit cards/ price of meals, how much to tip -all that kind of stuff.

If anyone can recommend any books, guides that they found particularly useful, that’d be great.

TIA.

Yes i've been - but that was in 1985 - so i don't think i'm the right person to tell you anything
10:39, Wed 3 Jan
Mr Driscoll

TIA.

My wife and I went to Sri Lanka for 3 weeks in 2019- I can give you advice!
"we don't even know why we're here - we're all just wandering around, doing daft things, killing time, until we die; that's why Frisbee's been invented..." (Karl Pilkington 2013)
10:47, Wed 3 Jan
Cheers, MiD. Will message you later if that’s ok?
11:50, Wed 3 Jan
Mr Driscoll

TIA.

We went just to Galle to see a test match, really loved it, people were ever so friendly. We had a longer trip planned travelling round the country but had to cancel as I needed an operation, we still have it on the list to do in the future.
12:07, Wed 3 Jan
I didn't get any jabs before I went and I was fine, but I'd suggest to anyway to be on the safe side. Yellow Fever, Dangie and other mosquito based ones. The North has more malaria and such as it's less touristy, the south is pretty clear, at least it was 10 years ago. The train between Kandy and the Tea Plantations is a nice, scenic way to travel also
12:10, Wed 3 Jan
My brother in law is flying out there today.
He’s done India about 3 times and like Chris lockdown prevented him going to Sri Lanka in 2020.

I’ll let you know when he gets back on the 26th.
14:40, Wed 3 Jan
Mr Driscoll
Cheers, MiD. Will message you later if that’s ok?

Absolutely- happy to help!
"we don't even know why we're here - we're all just wandering around, doing daft things, killing time, until we die; that's why Frisbee's been invented..." (Karl Pilkington 2013)
15:10, Wed 3 Jan
TheHeath
My brother in law is flying out there today.
Serendipitous.
15:27, Wed 3 Jan
Beautiful island, friendly people, good hotels available, prices decent. Food v.good.

But road travel a nightmare.

Vaccinations not necessary. Credit and bank cards accepted.

Lovely beaches, towns and cities busy. Many historical sights to visit if that's your thing.
TR
15:32, Wed 3 Jan
My other half did a month there in the summer, visited the Maldives too, she said it was brilliant and loved it so much so she wants to go back so I can experience it with her.

What stood out was the food, overall friendly nature of the people and very reasonable prices…and the mosquitoes 🦟.

There are no go zones though but that will be covered by your hotel/accommodation when you arrive and from what she said it’s very easy to spot where not to go and the tuk tuk’s will refuse to take you there.
16:31, Wed 3 Jan
TR
Thanks everyone. Will be in touch with one or two of you once I’ve drawn up a list of q’s but some have already been answered. 👍.