10:31, Thu 4 Jan
... makes fascinating reading as always. Surprised his match reports, etc aren't greenies on here:

[afootballblogbyryandeeney.substack.com]
10:38, Thu 4 Jan
Brilliant. The Luke Littler of bloggers.
10:41, Thu 4 Jan
I'd like to see his blogs posted on here regularly too, speaks a lot of sense and I tend to just forget they exist unless they're on here.
10:47, Thu 4 Jan
... makes fascinating reading as always. Surprised his match reports, etc aren't greenies on here:

That was really good thanks - his level of detail is great.
10:56, Thu 4 Jan
Great insights. Why was Rooney chopping and changing all the time? Surely you have a structure and stick to it???
10:57, Thu 4 Jan
Rags

That was really good thanks - his level of detail is great.

Ryan really does know his stuff. It is a great piece.
KES
10:58, Thu 4 Jan
It's almost like he came in blind, didnt do any research or take a look at what had worked previously and decided players will just click to brand new ideas instantly.

Then realised very early on it doesnt work like that and blamed them for not been able to do things he felt any professional footballer should be able to do.
11:00, Thu 4 Jan
nick_p

Great post.
11:09, Thu 4 Jan
mjd2505
I'd like to see his blogs posted on here regularly too, speaks a lot of sense and I tend to just forget they exist unless they're on here.

Yeah, I took the liberty of subscribing to his feed via email, as otherwise I'd forget too!
11:14, Thu 4 Jan
Haircut1000
Great insights. Why was Rooney chopping and changing all the time? Surely you have a structure and stick to it???

Don't get me wrong, Rooney failed and I'm glad he's gone now but the chopping and changing - if it worked - would have been classed as his "in season pre-season" as he didn't get one and he needed to see how different players and difference formations worked 'in-match'. Because it failed it looks worse. Not to mention injuries meant his tinkering looked more unnecessary. If he'd kept Eustace players and formation, the owners (fans?) would have said "Why bother bringing him in?" But surely even WR should now be able to see he should have had a maximum of 2/3 formations and a first XI with one who could come in or out for home/away/pressure matches, for instance.

Not utilising Etheridge was very odd and undermines even my argument "seeing what I have at my disposal". Hogan too. If he knew who he didn't rate, why didn't we have a more settled squad... Injuries and suspension aside? He clearly knew he had something in James but didn't get anything from Miyoshi who we all know was deemed as our most creative player. Shouldn't he have been pivotal in a more front foot Blues? Maybe he didn't sign up to Rooneyball with enough enthusiasm?
11:24, Thu 4 Jan
One of the major positives of the John Eustace reign was that he got a handle on this. He, along with his coaching staff and dressing room leaders such as Troy Deeney and George Friend, devised plans to improve things. That included doing more community work. Shutting off doors so players couldn’t sneak in without saying hello to people. Putting a fines system in place so that players were punished for indiscretions such as being late. Raising standards on the training ground. Keeping everything in house to avoid leaks and other things undermining what was always going to be a tough campaign.

This sort of stuff is so important. Management in any walk of like is about empowering your staff, making them feel good about themselves, and creating a culture where people can thrive, and football is no different.

That’s why when Rooney came out after the first game and started throwing players under the bus, it was doomed to fail, and the people moaning about the players “downing tools” were missing the point by a mile
11:27, Thu 4 Jan
The problem with Miyoshi is he's very weak for the Championship and isn't spectacularly pacy. If you play him as a number 10, he can drop deeper to find space, can turn quickly and has good pass on him so he's effective. If you play him on the wing, he ends up getting tightly marked by a stronger and faster player so he struggles.

Rooney didn't use a number 10 so it meant Miyoshi struggled. Hopefully whoever comes in doesn't just pick their favourite formation and instead, looks at the players we have first finds a way to get the best out of them.
11:28, Thu 4 Jan
You also wonder what data is being used to make decisions to enhance our fortunes on the field when you consider we’ve given a four year deal to a player that has never played more than 2000 minutes in a season, signed Oliver Burke on loan and appointed Wayne Rooney.

nail on head

footballing decisions attract more scrutiny than the other stuff but hard to justify those in particular

i think burke was a bit of a panic at the end of the window tbf
11:39, Thu 4 Jan
NouCamp
You also wonder what data is being used to make decisions to enhance our fortunes on the field when you consider we’ve given a four year deal to a player that has never played more than 2000 minutes in a season, signed Oliver Burke on loan and appointed Wayne Rooney.

nail on head

footballing decisions attract more scrutiny than the other stuff but hard to justify those in particular

i think burke was a bit of a panic at the end of the window tbf

We were linked with him for quite a while, he was even (I think) sitting around at the club for a chunk of deadline day before signing. Rather than a panic signing, I think he was a long term target to make up numbers in the squad if they couldn't get anyone better.
13:19, Thu 4 Jan
KES
KES
It's almost like he came in blind, didnt do any research or take a look at what had worked previously and decided players will just click to brand new ideas instantly.

Then realised very early on it doesnt work like that and blamed them for not been able to do things he felt any professional footballer should be able to do.

Playing Sunjic right mid suggested no homework had been done indeed.