14:00, Thu 4 Jan
Appointment and dismissal came at difficult times for Rooney so Birminghams owners have to be diligent in their next stepAs you go through life, its a long, long road, therell be joys and sorrows too, begins the Birmingham chant and, as a fan of the club, I can certainly relate. Wayne Rooney was sac

[www.theguardian.com]
...good comparison about giving managers time. Iraola at Bournemouth, one win in the first 10 PL games and then pumped 6-1 by Citeh, would have been easy to pull the trigger, instead they stuck with him and it's paying off now 😤
14:19, Thu 4 Jan
Yes, but i am quite sure in those first 10 games at bournemouth there would have been alot of positives and things were on a fairly upward trajectory.

We were spiraling downwards and bar maybe 45 minutes of excellent football we looked pretty atrocious, with no signs of it getting better.

You deserve patience if there are signs it can work.
14:19, Thu 4 Jan
It's all well and good saying "Rooney needed time" but the players also needed time to get used to his way of playing. Instead of giving them that, Rooney abandoned his own plans and said we needed to sign new players.
If, despite results, Iraola remained consistent with his playing style in those first 10 games (I've no idea but I would guess he did, more or less) then I'm not sure the comparison is all that accurate.

Plus he had some track record of success before joining Bournemouth.
Whilst I do want stability for Blues, I don't think it is a good comparison.

Iraola was carefully selected and had a 5-year track record with a win ratio of 40% or more across 214 games. His career has been progressing and he seemed to have a plan so it is understandable he was given time. Indeed his win ratio is almost 41% at Bournemouth now despite those early results.

Rooney has less than 3 years coaching experience. Despite doing OK (to an extent) with Derby, he had a win ratio of around 27% across 138 games before joining us.

I am no football guru but said on here after around 5 games that it was clear to me Rooney would not work out. Not said out of hate or malice - just the evidence of my own eyes and ears. I am hopeful Knighthead will learn a valuable lesson from this and that we can return to being a stable and competitive club.

From 1996 to 2011 we only had 3 managers. TF built a solid base, Bruce dropped lucky in getting us straight to the Prem so quickly and McLeish managed us to a trophy. Since then we've had 12 (soon to be 13) managers in as many years. That is no way to build a team or create a footballing identity. Let's hope the next 15 years see us needing no more than 2 or 3 managers.
14:46, Thu 4 Jan
Its great when everybody says " you should give them more time " but the people who say this are never the ones who have to foot the bill for a relegation
14:47, Thu 4 Jan
Or go and watch the games every week
J_D
18:34, Thu 4 Jan
Mr Miyagi and the X-Men
...good comparison about giving managers time. Iraola at Bournemouth, one win in the first 10 PL games and then pumped 6-1 by Citeh, would have been easy to pull the trigger, instead they stuck with him and it's paying off now 😤

I think the difference is that Iraola got Rayo Vallecano promoted to La Liga, established them as a comfortable La Liga team and took them on an unprecedented cup run

Rooney did okay at Derby with zero expectations and the less we mention DC United, the better.

Iraola had a Managerial CV that showed his capabilities and experience in developing a team going forward

Rooney's Managerial CV could be written on the back of a stamp
As others have said, Iraola had past success at clubs the same level of Bournemouth AND he was consistent in his methods from day one.

Rooney would have been given time had people been able to see a process and a plan.
20:33, Thu 4 Jan
There were just too many mistakes during Rooneys reign to ignore. Most decent managers these days do not criticise their players in public in order to deflect from their own deficiencies.