14:09, Fri 5 Jan
Assuming it is going to be TM that comes in (I hope it is) I’ve been looking at Sunderland’s stats for this season to get an idea of what we might expect.

Average possession 58% (4th)
Shots per game 15.6 (1st)
Shots against per game 10.6 (4th)
Passing accuracy 85.3% (5th)
Short passes per game 493 (4th)
Long passes per game 47 (21st)
14:30, Fri 5 Jan
It will take time to get stats anything like that, if our current team is even capable. Expect an improvement but with current players we have we won't be having 16 shots a game and 58% possession.
If this appointment goes ahead it really feels like the best one since Hughton for me.

Really good feeling about it.
When I arrive I am causing a Heatwave
14:36, Fri 5 Jan
He brought in a lot of young players, didn't he. I think Sunderland had the youngest team in the division. Fast, direct, exciting. If he takes the same approach, then assuming we have the required quality in the under-age teams, he could bypass some of the current squad
Dan
14:37, Fri 5 Jan
TiptonBluenose
It will take time to get stats anything like that, if our current team is even capable. Expect an improvement but with current players we have we won't be having 16 shots a game and 58% possession.

There are plenty of decent footballers in our squad.
14:39, Fri 5 Jan
TrickyBlue
Assuming it is going to be TM that comes in (I hope it is) I’ve been looking at Sunderland’s stats for this season to get an idea of what we might expect.

They are actually quite surprising. Massive upgrade
14:41, Fri 5 Jan
Its gonna be a while before we are anywhere near that, patience will be needed.
14:42, Fri 5 Jan
number8

I was still rooting for Rooney so I have plenty of patience. Just glad we have a manager who has a record to back it up and we can understand the direction. Makes it better than blind faith
14:43, Fri 5 Jan
TrickyBlue

While he has a preferred style he is also pragmatic, so I think we'll probably see something closer to JE's style of play to start with. Then a better managed move to the sort of style WR was after, possibly next season after more recruitment in the summer.

[www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk]
Mowbray feels finance impacted on his recruitment plans and as such, impacted on the playing style, having move towards a more defensive and counter-attacking approach which he feels suits more the options at his disposal.

He said: “I talked over the last year about trying to create an identity where when the manager leaves, you don’t have to chuck 20 players out because the new manager wants entirely different players.

“What you want as a football club is to have a structure of how you want your club to progress. Do you want to be ball-orientated or do you want to be direct? Do you just want to develop good footballers because if you sell to the Premier League, they have to be able to do the things that Premier League players can do.

“Or if you don’t want to sell, get out of this league then you get some agricultural players that will fight until they die and grind out results for you.

“It’s just trying to create an identity. I know it’s not the club’s fault but those processes have stopped a little bit because of the financial situation we find ourselves in.

“I felt with our purchases over the last few years we were trying to create a certain football team, this summer we’ve almost had to bin that and look at the players we’ve got and try to find a way to win football matches.”
14:43, Fri 5 Jan
number8

next season
14:44, Fri 5 Jan
👍
14:46, Fri 5 Jan
Good read
14:54, Fri 5 Jan

the game plan i hope will be aligned to TM’s assessment of the players

i am confident he won’t pursue a square pegs in round holes agenda
15:06, Fri 5 Jan
Rooneys ideal football was eventually to be possession based but it's still a world away from Mowbrays, the players we have are more than capable of passing a ball, he won't be expecting Sunjic to play as an inverted left back.
15:12, Fri 5 Jan
What about long throws? Asking for someone else.