10:29, Sat 6 Jan
Thought I'd get this in before the match and before this board is awash with Tony Mowbray the whole of next week.

Going to Rome for the first time in March for 4 nights.

Planning the Colosseum, pantheon, Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, the Vatican.

Anything I've missed? Any tips?
Could do with help on what colosseum tickets to book there seems like 50 odd variations. Hoping to book things tomorrow so it's all sorted.
10:35, Sat 6 Jan
Circus Maximus, nothing to see but you feel the history. Palatine Hill, should get in with your Colosseum tickets. Get to Trevi Fountain early otherwise you’ll struggle to get near it. Pretty certain I booked Colosseum on the main website and just did general entrance. Theres lots of guided tours, but that isnt really my thing.

Visit some of the lesser known Basilica’s, they are all impressive, St Mary’s by the station especially. Piazza Navona to have a drink and watch the world go by.
10:39, Sat 6 Jan
Get across to Trastevere and explore there when you've done the stuff on your list.
Ribeye
Thought I'd get this in before the match and before this board is awash with Tony Mowbray the whole of next week.

Going to Rome for the first time in March for 4 nights.

Planning the Colosseum, pantheon, Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, the Vatican.

Anything I've missed? Any tips?
Could do with help on what colosseum tickets to book there seems like 50 odd variations. Hoping to book things tomorrow so it's all sorted.

Get to the Vatican early.Tbh,we just walked,everything is signposted and a lot of stuff is free to see.St Peters,The Forum.If you're early enough,you can go up into the dome of St Peters. The renaissance churches.For the best food,go off the beaten track away from the main areas. They have so much stuff to see,just looking over the side of a bridge ould give you something to look at.Wear good walking shoes and walk.
The forum
Catacombs
Villa Borghesi
Olympic stadium
Castel St Angelo
Loads more depending on your interests

There's absolutely loads of places. Too much for one visit.
Rome is 3 cities, imperal Rome, modern Rome and everything in between. It's been a major city for more or less 2,500 years.

Watch out in the area by the station in the evenings.
And for pickpockets on the underground.
JCL
10:43, Sat 6 Jan
The thing i like to do now when going away is check for any Anthony Bourdain shows where he goes there. The layover on Amazon Prime is a good one for finding good eating and drinking.

Also like Bill Burrs tip, don't stand in line for hours to look at something, rather have a wonder about, go to some smaller neighborhoods, have coffee and watch the world.
Although in Rome while wondering about you can't help but see amazing stuff. It's like the world's biggest outdoor museum.

Pretry sure when I went we just rocked up and bought colleaum tickets.

Also, watch Gladiator before you go!

[www.amazon.co.uk]
Everything in moderation, even moderation.
10:43, Sat 6 Jan
As ever consider if a city pass eg Roma pass will save you money on transport, entry fees etc. You may wish to try a guided walking tour - usually the 'free' ones, ie tip funded at the end are quite good if you don't have much time. Apps are available eg free tour or tourist walks
10:46, Sat 6 Jan
Do a food tour.Look on tripadvisor for the best ones. They're fantastic. There are some good videos on youtube.
10:47, Sat 6 Jan
Peakyblue
Get across to Trastevere and explore there when you've done the stuff on your list.

Seconded
10:48, Sat 6 Jan
Sheep2
The forum
Catacombs
Villa Borghesi
Olympic stadium

There's absolutely loads of places. Too much for one visit.

Watch out in the area by the station in the evenings
And for picpockets on the underground

Definitely the Forum. I had a book, not expensive, where you could overlay what it used to look like with what it looks like today which really brought it to life.

There are also some Roman baths to visit, but I don’t have the name, just typing from memory.

Piazza Navona, great for lots of nice, but not so expensive, places to eat

Nice to just hang out near the Spanish Steps and watch the world go by.

Most things have been mentioned already. I did try to look around the Olympic Stadium but was told firmly no. Might be a game on when you are there though?

There’s also the ‘wedding cake’ building just to see, it’s by the roundabout where the Cornetto advert was filmed where they have the guy stood on a raised platform directing the traffic. Mussolini’s balcony is nearby.

I’d also add that with 7 hills there are lots of places to get a great view from, and sometimes that is the nicest thing you can do just to see the size of the place in all its glory.
10:48, Sat 6 Jan
Sistine chapel ceiling and The Last Judgement ( Michaelangelo )

Religious or not it's stunning.
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
10:59, Sat 6 Jan
Piazza Navona and Piazza dei Fiori are nice. So is the Fora Romana. Keep an eye out for the letters SPQR on the manhole covers.
Tam
11:02, Sat 6 Jan
generalBlue
Sistine chapel ceiling and The Last Judgement ( Michaelangelo )

Religious or not it's stunning.

This. It's absolutely awe-inspiring.
Make Blues Great Again
11:11, Sat 6 Jan
Tam
Going to be contrary here but the Sistine Chapel experience was a massive let down for me.

A room absolutely packed with Chinese tourists talking loudly so you couldn't just look at it and take it in without being bombarded with conversations and jostled around.

Did my head in. Spoiled it.

The rest of the Basilica and Vatican museum was incredible though.
H

Consistently correct.
Loved Rome… favourite city visited

Il Vittoriano surprised me. Bigger than I thought. Pantheon just mad how they built it. Yes to those mentioning the Bus thing. Regular and easy hop on and off. Save a fortune Agree re the Piaxxa’s.

Enjoy