Bluesince62
I don't think it has deteriorated, it's pretty much always been like this - in fact I'd argue it's improved.
Think back to the days of Rennie, Thomas etc - some of the decisions were so random it was actually laugh out loud stuff.
They will always get it wrong, they are human and it will continue to be at a point where games are decided by refs' poor decisions at times - it's a question of whether you just accept it as part of the game and don't moan about it, or not, for me.

This- many fans don’t seem willing to accept that, just like players do and coaches do, referees make mistakes!
"we don't even know why we're here - we're all just wandering around, doing daft things, killing time, until we die; that's why Frisbee's been invented..." (Karl Pilkington 2013)
18:56, Mon 15 Jan
Spike
Bluesince62
I don't think it has deteriorated, it's pretty much always been like this - in fact I'd argue it's improved.

Refs have improved in terms of fitness and professionalism.

They are massively worse at actually handling games I think.

Football has changed a lot though, a lot of the free-kicks that are given now - not so very long ago the referees would have told them to get up and get the eff on with the game.

Yeah, fair. You could also say that players are better at or more willing to cheat now as well than 30, 40 years ago where more players would tend to just get on with it than look for a chance to cheat.
The game has changed a lot and in a lot of ways.
Up the feckin Blues
I'm Blue, Da Ba Dee, Da Ba Di
Why has the standard of refereeing deteriorated so much? With so much money in the game you'd think that referees should at least 70-80% of decisions correct.
So why is the refereeing (in many cases) quite poor?
Training? Lack of support from assistant referees? Dare I say lack of neutralism? I think it's safe to say that refereeing comes up on this forum often, and for the right reasons, however, how many other other club forums question the ability of the man/woman in the middle?
So...what's the answer? When was the last time you left a game and thought to yourself 'that ref was alright ya'know?'

My view - i don't think standards have deteriorated - I think players behaviour has gotten worse, there is more cheating now than at any time in the games history - and not just diving, but stuff that is clearly coached - the latest trend seems to be pushing attackers into an offside position, or attackers holding defenders so they are unable to push up with their mates to play offside (the V*lla did this on Sunday). Timewasting, feigning injury to get the game stopped, and on and on and on....this makes it hard to referee.

Another factor is the absolutely mess the Law makers are making - especially with handball and offside - people demand consistency from officials but when so many of the Laws are subjective and open to interpritation, this is near impossible.

And finally, the advances in technology, hundreds of camera angles, hawkeye, VAR etc etc mean that every decision is analysed, pulled apart and used as a talking point for days on SSN, Talksport and worse of all - Twitter
I dont think it has

I think its improved massively in the top divisions

The scrutiny and analysis of decisions has never been more intense

I dont have the expectation that officials will get everything right, but I can still complain and moan about them...all part of the game
11:06, Tue 16 Jan
Iain_Gavin
I'm Blue, Da Ba Dee, Da Ba Di
Why has the standard of refereeing deteriorated so much? With so much money in the game you'd think that referees should at least 70-80% of decisions correct.
So why is the refereeing (in many cases) quite poor?
Training? Lack of support from assistant referees? Dare I say lack of neutralism? I think it's safe to say that refereeing comes up on this forum often, and for the right reasons, however, how many other other club forums question the ability of the man/woman in the middle?
So...what's the answer? When was the last time you left a game and thought to yourself 'that ref was alright ya'know?'

My view - i don't think standards have deteriorated - I think players behaviour has gotten worse, there is more cheating now than at any time in the games history - and not just diving, but stuff that is clearly coached - the latest trend seems to be pushing attackers into an offside position, or attackers holding defenders so they are unable to push up with their mates to play offside (the V*lla did this on Sunday). Timewasting, feigning injury to get the game stopped, and on and on and on....this makes it hard to referee.

Another factor is the absolutely mess the Law makers are making - especially with handball and offside - people demand consistency from officials but when so many of the Laws are subjective and open to interpritation, this is near impossible.

And finally, the advances in technology, hundreds of camera angles, hawkeye, VAR etc etc mean that every decision is analysed, pulled apart and used as a talking point for days on SSN, Talksport and worse of all - Twitter

And still the pundits can’t decide. How often do you hear a commentator say to co-commentator, ‘Do you think it was a penalty?’ To be given a response of ‘I can see why he gave it’ ‘I’m not sure there was enough contact’ etc etc. In other words, I havn’t got a clue and I’ve watched it 3 times! 🤣
Referee's what? Is it whistle?
11:55, Tue 16 Jan
A lot of this is game management by players which is absolutely one our most glaring weaknesses as a team. Whilst it may not improve the spectacle for us spectators it helps to get results. I expect to see us "improve" on this aspect of the game with an experienced manager in charge now.
11:56, Tue 16 Jan
I think that’s the biggest problem they stop the game to much. That’s partly because of the rules the whole contact thing is stupid if it’s minor and the player is going nowhere. Just encourages them to cheat.

With regards decisions they get most right as they always have done but tv etc has just highlighted the mistakes more.

Var hinders them rather than helps in many ways to much pressure. I’ve always thought it wasn’t needed just let a 4th of 5th official with a monitor help the ref out with what he got blatantly wrong or couldn’t see.
11:57, Tue 16 Jan
NouCamp
I dont think it has

I think its improved massively in the top divisions

The scrutiny and analysis of decisions has never been more intense

I dont have the expectation that officials will get everything right, but I can still complain and moan about them...all part of the game

You absolutely can, but not to the point that you’re claiming that your “team are getting screwed over by officials every week” - of course, some officials are better than others but generally, I think they do an okay job.
"we don't even know why we're here - we're all just wandering around, doing daft things, killing time, until we die; that's why Frisbee's been invented..." (Karl Pilkington 2013)