17:39, Wed 17 Jan
Just watched the Blues Focus Podcast featuring Steven Night. Well done young men. Brought back so many memories. Yep supporting Blues was never a choice. As said it’s a family thing. Even served my Apprenticeship in the sixties just off Sandy Lane in Sampson Road North being close to St. Andrews. Now some five thousand miles away in Jamaica I’m doing my bit. Local “yute” have replaced “WhaGwaan” with “Arl roite ar kid” and youngest Grandson is keeping the tradition alive in deepest Texas.
So thanks for the Podcast and just think - now we’re customers and not victims!
20:37, Wed 17 Jan
JimJamAgain
Just watched the Blues Focus Podcast featuring Steven Night. Well done young men. Brought back so many memories. Yep supporting Blues was never a choice. As said it’s a family thing. Even served my Apprenticeship in the sixties just off Sandy Lane in Sampson Road North being close to St. Andrews. Now some five thousand miles away in Jamaica I’m doing my bit. Local “yute” have replaced “WhaGwaan” with “Arl roite ar kid” and youngest Grandson is keeping the tradition alive in deepest Texas.
So thanks for the Podcast and just think - now we’re customers and not victims!

No members of my family were Blues Supporters. I was the first.
21:19, Wed 17 Jan
So what drew you to follow Blues? The air of unwavering pessimism? The comforting familiarity of failure? Or perhaps the inglorious ignominy of being owned by a succession of ne’er do wells - a money lender, a scrap man, a failed fashion brand, some dildo salesmen and a crooked Chinese hairdresser?

Or were you abused by a villa fan as a child?
21:24, Wed 17 Jan
QBBC2
So what drew you to follow Blues? The air of unwavering pessimism? The comforting familiarity of failure? Or perhaps the inglorious ignominy of being owned by a succession of ne’er do wells - a money lender, a scrap man, a failed fashion brand, some dildo salesmen and a crooked Chinese hairdresser?

A scrap man, a failed fashion brand, some dildo salesmen and a crooked Chinese hairdresser? I was a fanatical Blues supporter before those sh - -houses came on the scene.
21:29, Wed 17 Jan
Well god bless you for sticking with it through thin and thin. What did make you choose Blues?
21:51, Wed 17 Jan
QBBC2
Well god bless you for sticking with it through thin and thin. What did make you choose Blues?

No blues in my family either.

I got inducted into Blues by a friend of my family as a young child
22:05, Wed 17 Jan
QBBC2

A friends father took us both to a Blues game when I was about eight years old. I wanted to go to more games after that but my parents would not let me. When I got to about ten I went without parental consent. Sometimes I had the admission money so I watched the game from the start, if I did not have the money to get in, the stewards or whatever they were called then (gatemen I think they were called) would let you in for free at half time.
22:12, Wed 17 Jan
Madeira Blue
QBBC2

A friends father took us both to a Blues game when I was about eight years old. I wanted to go to more games after that but my parents would not let me. When I got to about ten I went without parental consent. Sometimes I had the admission money so I watched the game from the start, if I did not have the money to get in, the stewards or whatever they were called then (gatemen I think they were called) would let you in for free at half time.

Something you never see nowadays, gates would open 25 minutes before the end to let people leave and others would come in to watch last 25 minutes free, my dad used to do it as a kid in the 50’s on a regular basis.
22:14, Wed 17 Jan
None in mine either. Me and my friend were persuaded by a few male school friends to go (we were around 12 years old - we were just a ‘gang’) - I thought it was a daft idea. Football? You must be jokjng”. In the end we gave in - and I absolutely loved it - I was hooked!

Lots of blues in our family now - many indoctrinated by me!
22:36, Wed 17 Jan
Once you were known they would sometimes even let you in at the start of the game if they were convinced you did not have the money to get in. Some good people in them days.
23:18, Wed 17 Jan
Madeira Blue
QBBC2

A scrap man, a failed fashion brand, some dildo salesmen and a crooked Chinese hairdresser? I was a fanatical Blues supporter before those sh - -houses came on the scene.

My mother reckons it was fate that bought me to Blues. In 1957 age five I was being rushed to hospital with polio. The ambulance was a pre war Daimler, on its way to what we now call Heartlands. According to her the exhaust fell off in Cattel Road and I was transferred to another ambulance. It was a Saturday afternoon and I still remember seeing all the fans making their way into the ground. There were houses and shops still there then, including The Blues cafe.
23:36, Wed 17 Jan
Newheavenlyblues
It was a Saturday afternoon and I still remember seeing all the fans making their way into the ground. There were houses and shops still there then, including The Blues cafe.

There was a cafe called the ponderosa and it was probably rougher than any pub in Birmingham Today.
23:47, Wed 17 Jan
Thanks for the replies, I’m enjoying these stories. As a Blue born into a predominantly Blues supporting family it’s nice to know how others came to love the Boys in Royal Blue.
00:55, Thu 18 Jan
I didn't have any family supporting Blues either. Used to kart as a kid at Wheels and could hear the crowd on match days. Put the commentary on in the car to hear what was happening and gradually got more and more interested. Asked to go to a match and that was that.
01:04, Thu 18 Jan
I had a friend at school who got me into them. It helped that "Birmingham" was the name.