08:35, Thu 18 Jan
Morning good people of SHA!

A group of us are planning a trip this summer to Germany for the Euros and wondered if any of you would be able to offer some advice/tips! Mainly for:

* Is it worth trying for actual tickets for the matches? Or just sticking to fan parks?
* Best cities to stick with? We have friends who live in Munich but course all the matches will be spread out elsewhere?
* Any cool things you think is worth doing while we are there!

Thanks in advance folks, KRO
08:42, Thu 18 Jan
I don't know the feasibility of getting tickets vs watching in fan parks, but either way it might be worth basing yourself in the Cologne / Dusseldorf / Dortmund / Gelsenkirchen area, as those cities are all very close to one another, and England play two of their three group games in that area. Also, if we qualify from our group, we'd play our Round of 16 there.

(If we win the group, and Round of 16 game, our quarter final and potentially semi final are also in that region, too).

That's if you're interested in following England specifically, of course.
08:57, Thu 18 Jan
Sam_Bam_Bluenose
Morning good people of SHA!

A group of us are planning a trip this summer to Germany for the Euros and wondered if any of you would be able to offer some advice/tips! Mainly for:

* Is it worth trying for actual tickets for the matches? Or just sticking to fan parks?
* Best cities to stick with? We have friends who live in Munich but course all the matches will be spread out elsewhere?
* Any cool things you think is worth doing while we are there!

Thanks in advance folks, KRO

Tickets - You potentially may have missed the boat here. I think the official ballot closed on 12th December and i'm not sure if they are opening another section. In previous tournaments, it was really easy to buy off touts but I think UEFA are going to follow on from Qatar and the COVID-delayed Euro's by having tickets on an app which then makes it more difficult. The fan parks are great though. They will launch an official UEFA resale portal so just keep your eye on that before/throughout the portal.

Best Cities - It depends what your actual plans are. If you're going to host cities with England games then staying in the host cities themselves is REALLY expensive or certainly is now. Maybe look for neighbouring towns and Cities e.g. Frankurt - look at staying in Mainz, Cologne look at staying in Bonn, Gelsenkirchen look at staying in Dortmund/Dusseldorf. The trains run well into the night and some of these routes maybe FREE on your match ticket or at least partially free. Regional trains are cheap though and pretty reliable (all be it German efficiency is a myth). If you want to just visit Cities then Hamburg is excellent, Wuppertal is great and has a flipped upside train service and Dusseldorf is very lively with lots of good bars and restaurants (It's also really ideal for travelling). Honourable mentions for: Leipzig, Koln and Berlin.

Things to do - All depends where you visit. You can visit the site of the old airport that is now a Park in Berlin. Berlin you can obviously visit the Brandenburg Gate as well as all the relevant hot spots for the Wall. Stadium tours are good if they are at all possible during the tournament, the one at Hertha/the olympic stadium is brilliant and is good for Nazi history, Hamburg you've got the Reeperbahn and in general just walking around the cities and seeing how different one city is to the other (in my opinion). It goes without saying also to take in the beer houses like HofbrauHaus or Kolschhaus in Koln and eat plenty of Currywursts!

As I mentioned you can get regional travel for free (Check the regions on match tickets if you get them) on a match ticket and the regional trains are affordable as it is. During the tournament they are putting an offer on for cheaper ICE (fast) trains which may become useful [www.bahn.de]
09:00, Thu 18 Jan
I've got tickets for the first 2 group games, and also the QF and final should we get their.
We are driving over for the first two group games staying over in antwerp for a night on route then have a few days booked in gladbeck, which still has relatively cheap accommodation (about 20 minutes drive from gelsenkirchen).

For tickets it's best to keep an eye on uefa ticketing site to see what pops up on there, I know England's fa allocation has sold out but may still be a possibility of some being released through uefa.
09:17, Thu 18 Jan
To follow on from your point I am awaiting feedback from the ballot on tickets. I don't believe they're opening another one other than the tickets that aren't sold through the ballot (Could be wrong)

We are doing similar and will be driving over, likely staying over the border looking at the cost of hotels in Germany.
09:27, Thu 18 Jan
Yeah host cities as you would expect accommodation Is ridiculous..
But you don't have to go to far away from some of the host cities and there's still a fair bit of affordable accommodation about.
09:27, Thu 18 Jan
I'm also waiting on the result of the ballot. My understanding however was that while you are committed to buying any tickets you are allocated, there will be a resale event after? I can't remember where I read that though.... May have made it up.
09:28, Thu 18 Jan
Is this the uefa ballot ?
09:30, Thu 18 Jan
Yeah, that's the one. If I remember correctly they should have notified all successful applicants "by" 31st January according to the confirmation email I received when I submitted my application back in December. I imagine if there is a resale event and I haven't made it up, it would be maybe Feb/March?
09:31, Thu 18 Jan
[support.tickets-euro2024.uefa.com]-

Looks like I wasn't going mad.
09:35, Thu 18 Jan
Ah right nice one, wasn't too aware how the uefa sale worked tbh.
Going to be a massively popular tournament this one.
Good luck in the ballot 👍
09:57, Thu 18 Jan
If its anything like 2006 then my biggest tip is to stay clear of the English fans. I'm by no means a clean shirt myself but some of the antics in Frankfurt were bloody embarrassing. Best night we had was drinking in a back street bar with a load of Frankfurt fans. Oh and if the weather is anything like it was in 2006 I'd stay clear of the fan parks. Almost impossible to get a drink without missing half the match.
Rab C Nesbitt is the best poster on SHA bar none.
12:12, Thu 18 Jan
Never been for the football, only ever for gigs and usually in the North Rhine-Westphalia region. I’ll be gigging in Wuppertal later this year 🇩🇪
12:26, Thu 18 Jan
I enjoyed the fan parks back in 2006 thought they were good. We got tickets off touts for the 1st 2 group games but prices were silly.

Driving over for the group stages and staying in Dusseldorf and Mainz for the Denmark game.

We’ve booked a flight back out too Düsseldorf for the SF incase we make it and will sort out a return while over there if we get knocked out or then head over to Berlin hopefully for the final. Probably fly back from somewhere in Poland.

Got tickets for the 3 group games, SF & Final depending on us making it.
13:19, Thu 18 Jan
Travel by train through Germany. They have introduced a fan ticket for 29 Euros this morning. If you are staying for a month you could buy a Deutschland ticket for 49 € that gives you unlimited travel throughtout Germany for one month on all trains except the (IC and ICE) but the price also includes all bus and local underground train services.

Absolute bargain.

Go to the bahn.de website and see the information in English.