09:23, Thu 18 Jan
As we're all aware, SHA is awash with Oxbridge graduates and doubtless visited regularly by at least a dozen mathematics Dons.

I'm in Oxford next weekend and was wondering if any of the pointyheads on here could suggest any good pubs and/or restaurants. Nothing too high-end on the restos, but I'm also not totally impoverished - yet.

Any suggestions very warmly received, but please resist the urge to do the equivalent of sending someone direct to "The Jester" when they arrived at New Street in 1992, or something.
09:24, Thu 18 Jan
Istanblue is your man here.

Turf Tavern is a good pub but unsure on restaurants.

RIP Eurobar.
09:47, Thu 18 Jan
The wife did the Oxford half marathon last year. We went to The Ivy for dinner which was great and not too pricey. Cracking cocktails while you wait for your table.

Plenty of great pubs ranging from historic old mans/professors/Morse style pubs (Turf Tavern, Kings Arms, The Bear) and some nice places in Jericho.
10:26, Thu 18 Jan
The Turf and The King's Tavern used to be the best two pubs in Oxford by a mile.

I haven't been there for a long time though, so there might be better options.
10:31, Thu 18 Jan
Thanks to all so far - appreciated.
10:33, Thu 18 Jan
I'd add on the Old Bookbinders Ale House in Jericho (lovely pub, French food menu), and Zheng restaurant, not far from them (Malaysian cuisine).
10:45, Thu 18 Jan
Heartily recommend the Royal Blenheim for beer
10:47, Thu 18 Jan
don't use the park and ride if you have a catalytic converter and still want one when you return
11:40, Thu 18 Jan
I work in Jericho and Mamma Mia Pizzeria is the best pizza I've had in this country. If you're there around lunchtime the greek wraps at Manos are quality (limited seating though). The Rickety Press does great burgers, as does Jericho Tavern. Brasserie Blanc is a reliable upmarket bistro so loads of food options Jericho way.

More towards town, next place I'll be trying is Ramen Kulture on St Giles. White Rabbit pub (their pizza especially) is always well spoken of but I haven't personally been there
11:42, Thu 18 Jan
Oxford is not great for food &c cos undergrads can't afford/don't want to go there. I can do you for culture though. Ashmolean, Pitt-Rivers, Blackwell's (for the Norrington Room first view), they'll keep you busy for much of the day. See if there are any Bodleian tours as well.
12:49, Thu 18 Jan
Further thanks.

As a display of my gratitude, I 100% promise NOT to share any details of my tedious trip to Oxford with you at a later date.
12:59, Thu 18 Jan
The Alice brasserie at the Randolph Hotel...
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
13:37, Thu 18 Jan
I had the pleasure of living in Oxford. We still visit around 3 times a year. Most recently about a month ago.

The Turf Tavern is a must, as is Three goats heads. Always enjoyed a beer in The Bear too.

A few nice bars have cropped up in the covered market, great atmosphere and a pizzeria there too. Well worth it. In the covered market there is also a cafe called Brothers, which I've had many a good cooked breakfast in.

To echo others on here, the Ivy is excellent and is more reasonable than you would imagine. Failing that, a few doors down is All Bar One which has ever let me down fir drinks or food. On the roof of the Westgate centre are a myriad of bars restaurants, all with a great view of the city.

In St Clement's is the excellent Tapas bar called Kazbar, it sits between two decent pubs The Angel and Greyhound and The Cape of hood hope.

Jericho is nice and has a cool vibe to it with an independent licensed cinema.

We love it, I'm sure you will.