13:13, Thu 18 Jan
Don't know if anyone can help here but I know there is a font of knowledge on here and the phone line to citizens advice is permanent engaged.

After 30 years of self employment and 40 years in total plastering and decorating, my shoulder is shot. It's been getting gradually worse and for the last year or so I have been having steroid injections in it plus numerous private physio sessions.

But it looks like the time has come for a rotor cuff operation and maybe a bit of my top rib removed?!
I have been told 3-4 months off work then gradual back to work.

I can't really afford that amount of time of work without pay and my private insurance only covers me for injuries caused by accidents not wear and tear.
Looking on the Internet it seems I can claim for something called ESA but I will only get around 80 quid a week even if I have paid full stamp, which I have.

I have never had to claim anything in 30 years self employed and I'm wondering if this info is correct or there is anything else I can try and get? 80 notes ain't going to get me far.

Still got mortgage, council tax, bills ect to pay and my wife only works P/T. Kids have left home.

Thanks in advance.
Go citizens advice or Job Centre and they will tell you exactly what you can get - also are you in any trade association as they too should be able to advise.
BCFC - Letting me down for 50 years
Mowbrays Toe & Knee
Go citizens advice or Job Centre and they will tell you exactly what you can get - also are you in any trade association as they too should be able to advise.

Thanks. No trade associations anymore and I just can't get through on the phone to citizens advice so may have to try and get there in person.
Never even thought about the job centre, I thought that was just there to find me a job!
They do all sorts of benefits stuff too. You might also find a local organisation/charity could help too, if you were in Tamworth I could point you to someone but there must be someone similar to who i know near wherever you are
BCFC - Letting me down for 50 years
Your local social services should have a team of welfare rights officers. Try contacting your local council and find out if they hold a surgery.

Otherwise there's organizations such as these, who can point you in the right direction.

[www.rwr.org.uk]
14:03, Thu 18 Jan
[www.birmingham.gov.uk]

You should get a response, if you try BCC, but don't quote me on that. All the best
Universal Credit?

[www.gov.uk]
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
Your local social services should have a team of welfare rights officers. Try contacting your local council and find out if they hold a surgery.

Otherwise there's organizations such as these, who can point you in the right direction.

[www.rwr.org.uk]

Social services won’t help the fella.
14:21, Thu 18 Jan
foghorn leghorn
All the best
Absolutely this.
Sorry I can’t help with advice. But I hope you get help you need.
If you are on yer arse. Please PM me. I’ll help if I can.
Tony Fantastico
Thanks everyone. It's given me a few pointers. Only had the doctors appointment this morning when they told me no more injections and operation is the only real option, so I need to make a few phone calls and see what I can get if needed.
14:28, Thu 18 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt
foghorn leghorn
All the best
Absolutely this.

You are one top bloke Si.
Rab C Nesbitt is the best poster on SHA bar none.
Try Step Change Debt Charity, believe their website is stepchange.org.

They’re technically a free debt management company but can help with general financial advice, run benefit calculators etc.
14:29, Thu 18 Jan
Salford Blue
Rab C Nesbitt
foghorn leghorn
All the best
Absolutely this.

You are one top bloke Si.
I’ve been called worse. Going to have to have a pint with you soon mate x
Tony Fantastico
I'm a welfare rights advisor so I can go through things with you and point me in the right direction
You can phone me on Tuesday 0771643351 if you want
In the meantime I suggest you put in a claim for new style Employment Support Allowance. You can make a claim by phoning 08000556688 or by googling ESA claim