17:02, Sun 21 Jan
Rags
I've posted about this before a couple of years ago and got called out for being immature.

But i refuse to change.

I've been recruiting this month for someone one management level below myself - someone who will be reporting to me. Lots of applicants of a very high standard all with good experience. I think you can say we were over-subscribed with applicants.

Rags I don't know if this has been pointed out already, (can't be bothered to reads through all the posts), I am perturbed that your references to B6 were done using capitals, when I thought it was a rule on here to only use lower case.!!!!

Came down to 3 stand out applicants after online Teams interviews. So time to meet them in the flesh.

Pretty non-standard Rags type interview - kind, fair but like to throw a few curve-balls in to test capability under pressure.

As usual, towards end of interview i always ask about outside interests and activities (pretty standard interview question) ... and i always follow up with, "anything else ? do you follow football ? Oh, really, any particular team ?"

If you EVER get this question in an interview ALWAYS reply, "no, just follow it in general".

Third interviewee (after one of the other two had proven to be excellent) was also doing excellent. His answer to the question was "actually yes, i'm a season ticket holder at Aston Villa". We have a brief, nice discussion about how well Villa are doing this season etc etc etc.

Interview ends, we shake hands, agree date for when i will contact him to see if he's been successful etc, he leaves. He's gone.

I laugh to myself, rip the printed copy of his CV into about 30 pieces and throw it in the bin and say to myself "feck off tw@t"

YES YES YES , i know, it's pathetic, immature and juvenile - but Christ it makes you feel good. All those years of mocking, all the times being bullied at schools full of Villa fans, all the sneers, all the not-very-funny digs. Revenge is mine !!

So if anyone ever asks you if you follow a football in an interview (or quite slyly inserts it into general chat etc) then always make sure you give a neutral response. You never know ... the very professional, business-like senior person interviewing you may just, underneath that thin veneer of respectability, have a pathological hatred of your particular club.

... and "no", i won't change. Even if the other applicants hadn't been as equally good i would have just gone back to the market until i found an excellent candidate who wasn't a Villa fan

They really are fecking idiots
19:24, Sun 21 Jan
Rags
....🤣😂, so how did the excellent candidate respond to the question 😤

She's a Baggies fan actually - i can tolerate that (i did ask if her husband was a Baggies fan too)

PS .. before anyone accuses me of making assumptions, she had already told me she was married and had a husband

I can't tolerate baggies fans. eff em.
08:13, Mon 22 Jan
"I've been recruiting this month for someone one management level below myself"

Saying 'myself' when it should have been "me" marks you out as chief bread-slicer at Subway.
08:44, Mon 22 Jan
Daniel

Saying 'myself' when it should have been "me" marks you out as chief bread-slicer at Subway.

Actually he’s used it as a reflexive pronoun so it seems fine to me. Besides which even if you disagree with that interpretation, I happen to know that Rags is a believer in linguistic descriptivism*.

* Excellent David Foster Wallace article on prescriptivism vs descriptivism in the link. Long but superb.

[web.ics.purdue.edu]
This message board would benefit from having an oligarchic Distinguished Usage Panel..
08:52, Mon 22 Jan
Fat Buddha CBE
This message board would benefit from having an oligarchic Distinguished Usage Panel..

It already has, except that I can't be arsed.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
09:02, Mon 22 Jan
Excessive pedantry would be a red flag for a potential candidate in an interview.

As well as anyone who would judge me for letting the kids flick the v's when in the car and travelling past Villa park.
09:25, Mon 22 Jan
Can't be arsed with a 10-page thread, but well done Rags. Proper Blues.
You’re cooler than this
09:26, Mon 22 Jan
I'm not judging.

I had a guy come in for an interview the other day, I asked him where he had parked his car - just to make sure he hadn't parked in a reserved spot, and he pointed to a car with WBA in the registration. When he saw me smirk his face fell and he asked me if "it" was a problem.

I told him no - but that if it had had any reference to villa, it would have broken all records for the shortest - and most unsuccessful, interviews ever.

As it happened he was ace and I will likely offer him the job, and that would probably have been the case even if he did support that shower. But I could have had a lot of fun with it first.
09:47, Mon 22 Jan
Chris
Can't be arsed with a 10-page thread, but well done Rags. Proper Blues.

Anything other than petulance against any and all DvBs should be the norm
09:48, Mon 22 Jan

I'm not entirely sure you are correct in your pedantry surrounding the grammar.

However, IF i was chief bread-slicer at Subway i would be pretty pissed off that you'd used that fact as an insult.

Firstly, the chief bread-slicer at Subway is undoubtedly a better bread-slicer the you or me, may have overcome great difficulties in life to be merely working at anything, does long days, is under-valued in his work and could have to work in a shitty uninviting environment every day. You should never use someone profession or job as an insult. If someone is working hard then that's something on which they should be congratulated, not denigrated.

We never know someone's personal circumstances and, sometimes, they are quite surprising.
10:04, Mon 22 Jan
None of that would help him with you if he was a villa fan and you were looking for a chief bread-slice who was honest and open in answering your interview questions 🫣
10:06, Mon 22 Jan
None of that would help him with you if he was a villa fan and you were looking for a chief bread-slice who was honest and open in answering your interview questions 🫣

You can’t employ villa fans at Subway. They don’t have any six fingered latex gloves.
10:18, Mon 22 Jan
My Blue Heaven
You’re cooler than this

Where's the evidence of this?