19:43, Mon 22 Jan
Maybe I missed it and it was commented on here, but just see he was appointed a few days back as manager at Hartlepool. Just been on the news here, saying he’s been trying to get a job for 9 months - often not getting any response at all. Made me think on a recent thread where people were talking about nobody starting at the bottom etc. Given he’s quite a big name, did well in a brief stint at South Shields lower down the pyramid and has good coaching experience, it’s a surprise how difficult he’s found it - he played on a long time but he is 50, so hardly a spring chicken either.

Will be interesting to see his progress.
20:11, Mon 22 Jan
Interesting given his name and standing in the game what criteria he was failing to meet to not be considered by anyone for such a long time.
20:29, Mon 22 Jan
Made a career out of hanging around the goal and poking the odd one or two in. He probably doesn't know too much about what happens round the rest of the pitch.
20:41, Mon 22 Jan
Mowbray was a big centre back but knows how to get a team playing fluid attacking football, a person can understand elements of game really well without necessarily being able to do it themselves

(I have no idea if he’s a good coach btw)
Happy Clapper
20:51, Mon 22 Jan
Me neither, I was being facetious, obviously.

He'd be one of a very small number of English strikers who have done well in management though. I say that with no fact checking whatsoever, just can't think of any.
21:04, Mon 22 Jan
Can’t think of any off the top of my head. The real KP was an excellent all round player though, excellent touch (though he did poke plenty in from close range, a very useful habit for a player to have).
21:07, Mon 22 Jan
Brian Clough
Tony Fantastico
21:14, Mon 22 Jan
Fair, though he was a defender until he was 21

Mark Robins off the top of my head, Ryan Lowe’s done ok, but yeah most are midfielders and defenders
Happy Clapper
21:27, Mon 22 Jan
Dalglish didn’t do too badly

Keegan, Vialli, Gullit all had relative success as well
21:28, Mon 22 Jan
He said English which was a bit harder, there’s plenty of foreign ones tbf

A lot of the top managers weren’t even professional players so I think it depends on the individual anyway
Happy Clapper
21:39, Mon 22 Jan
Le Mod
Mowbray was a big centre back but knows how to get a team playing fluid attacking football, a person can understand elements of game really well without necessarily being able to do it themselves

(I have no idea if he’s a good coach btw)

And Karanka played in the attacking galtico teams and was the most boring managwr at most clubs hes been at and played defensive football 🤷‍♂️
21:57, Mon 22 Jan
Miguelagenn
Me neither, I was being facetious, obviously.

He'd be one of a very small number of English strikers who have done well in management though. I say that with no fact checking whatsoever, just can't think of any.

TF didn't do too badly. Couple of finals with Sheffield Wednesday, play offs with blues and Worthington cup final.
21:58, Mon 22 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt
Brian Clough

Yeah was going to say this.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
22:00, Mon 22 Jan
thethinblueline
Dalglish didn’t do too badly

Keegan, Vialli, Gullit all had relative success as well

Probably would have started with Alex Ferguson.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
22:10, Mon 22 Jan
There have been a few if we think about it (add Manacini), though probably fewer recently. There’s Zola and Rooney of course.