13:14, Thu 25 Jan
LondonAndy
We went last month. Stayed at the Europa Hotel which is great. It's where all the celebs go, Clinton stayed there during the peace talks etc., mainly because it has a top-floor suite. Standard rooms were regular priced though, and very nice, and a bit different from the standard chains. Opposite the hotel is the Crown Liquor Saloon - a 19th century bar, with great little private booths, good if you'd like a little privacy.

The Titanic museum is also really good. Incredible building.

[www.titanicbelfast.com]

St George's Market is good for a wander around, and lots of great street food there too.

[visitbelfast.com]

Yeah I used to stay in the Europa for work. Most bombed hotel in The world or something. The Crown opposite is stunning.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
13:19, Thu 25 Jan
There are many great suggestions already provided. I’ll will try and add a few to it.

Crumlin Road Gaol tour – This is a fascinating tour of the Crumlin Rod gaol where many people were held awaiting trial. Your guide will give you a great explanation of how the groups were segregated, the tunnels used to get them to court and why it was eventually shut down.

Milltown Cemetery – this is where some of the most famous Republicans are buried. The Republican plot to the far right is where the most infamous are entombed. There is a rich history beyond the Republican movement.

Hop on Hop off Bus – a cheap alternative that will get you around to all the major sites. There are a few designated stops. You can simply flag the bus down when you see it.

Restaurants – I really like the Harlem Café on Bedford Street. It has a really cool vibe to it. I recommend the Irish Breakfast.

Murals – They are everywhere and I would not make a special trip to see them, but be on the lookout. Have your phone ready to google the significance.

If you want an idea of the history of the city, I would recommend The Troubles podcast. It is a non partisan view of a difficult time.

The people – you may decide to engage people about the recent history of Belfast. Just keep in mind there is not a single person who did not lose someone to those dark days.

A great city and well worth the visit.
13:19, Thu 25 Jan
If you have time you can visit the Giants Causeway.
Agree with that, far better than Dublin.

As others have said go to the Crumb jail and have a look at the tunnel and the gallows.

Go to the crown and have a look but don't buy a drink it's stupid prices. There is a pub next door, can't remember it's name, but go in and go through the door at the back where there is usually a bouncer. Thank me later.

Best pub by far for a bit of music and drink is The Points. Fantastic place up towards the botanical gardens - 10 minutes walk from town.

Watch out for some of the taxis. Depending how old you are and if you are a man, they may ask you if this is your first visit? They are fishing to try and find out if you are ex forces and if you are you will get rinsed or worse case end up in a ditch......
13:39, Thu 25 Jan
Hello Jack, thanks for the detailed insight, it sounds as though you come from there.

I am planning on going soon for the first time since 1987, when i went for a NI v England game, very moody back then and to see it in the moment was surreal, i've got mamy stories to tell from those 2 days.

What would it be like for an Englishman like me to visit Felons on Falls rd, just for a drink and see the history of the place etc...?
13:43, Thu 25 Jan
Thank you all very much for the suggestions thus far! Rest assured I will be making use of these suggestions for sure!
14:07, Thu 25 Jan
I don’t think I will tell you anything you do not know or suspect.

The city has moved on. The generation that made life difficult in Belfast are aging and the youth of today are much less prejudicial. You will not find the city you visited in 1987. In fact, it will be interesting to hear your thoughts when you get back.

As for where you visit, your English accent will not be an issue. With the cruise ships, hen parties etc, the city is well used to welcoming tourists from all over.

The common sense that you would apply in Brum, Liverpool, Glasgow or London will see you have a great time in Belfast.
I first went in 1987 as part of a shopfitting gang as we had a contract in the city.

We were advised not to take the van as it was sign written with English phone numbers etc.
We had to take 2 volvo estates which belonged to the gaffers.
They had English plates so as soon as we were off the boat and dropped the gear at the job, we had to leave the car at the hotel car park and traveled into work and back every day in approved taxis. Nights were spent in the hotel bar.

The day we left to come home our car had the once over with the
mirror on the stick by the hotel
staff. It was all very sobering.

I've been back a lot of times since with work and pleasure and the place is unrecognisable from back then. The young uns seem genuinely pleased that you are there and want to show of the city and it's surroundings. They don't seem that keen on the cruise ship brigade though.

I absolutely love the place and it's people.
16:21, Thu 25 Jan
Whilst were on the theme of asking for travel advice, I wondered if anyone has any suggestions of where to visit, eat and drink in Belfast? Heading there soon so I wondered if the oracles on SHA could share some wisdom and knowledge! Thanks in advance!

Take your golf clubs is my advice if you're a golfer. If you're not a golfer...why do you own a set of golf clubs?
I read that as shoplifting gang 🤣
...yeah me too, thought it was strange thing to admit to 🤣😂😤
Dependent where we were working and what we could get out wrapped up in the dust sheets.....
Tam
16:49, Thu 25 Jan
Mr Miyagi and the X-Men
...yeah me too, thought it was strange thing to admit to 🤣😂😤

Same here. Proper Blues. 😂

I haven't been there since August 1980, trying to sort a problem out on a roof at the DeLorean factory. I worked for a roofing company at the time, we had a contract at DeLorean, and there'd been an issue with the local depot - IIRC, one of the lads had been shot and wounded and they wouldn't do the job. Details are a bit hazy now, tbf. Anyway, the company asked if there were any volunteers to go over to Belfast and do the job. There wasn't much uptake on the idea, but the gearbox on my Hillman Avenger had just packed up, so I said I'd do it.

Being greeted at the docks by armed troops was a pretty sobering experience, and I could only feel for the people that endured it on a daily basis. I can't say that we were made too welcome by the local dept lads, so something must have gone on there. I met a lovely receptionist called Jill who was on reception duties at DeLorean and we went to a disco at a local hotel that night. Some of the local lads didn't take kindly to my presence - I don't think that the big orange van with a Staffordshire address went down too well. It got worse when one lad came in who'd obviously had a kicking recently. Apparently, there'd been a run in with some soldiers from the Staffordshire Regiment there and he'd taken a bit of a beating. This is nearly 44 years ago, of course, so some details might be hazy. Anyway, it was a bit bit of an ugly mood and I ended up escaping with the lovely Jill through a side door and buggering off pretty sharpish.

Checking under the van with mirrors was a bit sobering as well, and it was a bit tense, so pretty glad to see the docks again. In spite of that, I thought that the people generally were great, and I've always meant to go back. The tips on where to go are very useful. The Titanic Museum is a must for me.

Oh, and I got £800 for 3 days work. Not bad for 1980. The Chrysler garage charged me all of that for a new gearbox though and then three weeks later, some pisshead in a Renault pulled out of a side road in Stafford straight into my car and wrote it off.
Make Blues Great Again
16:57, Thu 25 Jan
I found the people funny and welcoming. A great bunch.

We played one round at Knock GC. We all had a few beers and lunch before we played, plus we gave the waitress quite a decent tip. We then went into the club shop to pay for our round and the club pro said, "we'll not take any more of your money lads, you've spent enough."

Different gravy.
17:01, Thu 25 Jan
Tam
Quite strange reading some of the comments about Belfast's past, although its from a time I remember, almost everyone has moved on, my daughter is visiting there in April, has'nt a clue (or want's to have) about its past history, is visiting there just for the game of thrones site and tour, the tik tok generation apparently just live to party, good on em.