14:32, Sun 4 Feb
I’m interested in these boxes, can you give us a bit more detail, help me understand?
14:49, Sun 4 Feb
Not a patch on Carry On Cowboy.
14:53, Sun 4 Feb
The big woke box! As long as they tow the woke tight rope whilst pretending to not conform, they can pretty much guarantee some air time. Its the towing of the wokeness that for me, is about as unfunny as it gets. In my opinion, comedy should push boundaries and challenge certain narratives.
15:21, Sun 4 Feb
Woke woke woke woke woke woke.

Wokity woke.

Woke.

Linked Image
The cold never bothered me anyway
15:30, Sun 4 Feb
To be fair, the cutting in some repeats is appalling. The scene for instance in Porridge when Fletch teaches McLaren a lesson in aggression has been totally cut from Fletch shoving McLaren into his cell to a discussion around the table as to how to play the game. The audience is adult enough to know different standards applied.
15:39, Sun 4 Feb
The big woke box! As long as they tow the woke tight rope whilst pretending to not conform, they can pretty much guarantee some air time. Its the towing of the wokeness that for me, is about as unfunny as it gets. In my opinion, comedy should push boundaries and challenge certain narratives.

Good point. I like to see certain narratives challenged myself…..racism, misogyny, sexuality, patriarchy, that kind of thing.

Much like yourself, I wish there was more of it.
15:42, Sun 4 Feb
Fat Buddha CBE

Good point. I like to see certain narratives challenged myself…..racism, misogyny, sexuality, patriarchy, that kind of thing.

Much like yourself, I wish there was more of it.

Definitely not enough punching down on tele these days. Used to be able to do it so much more back in The good old days.
15:42, Sun 4 Feb
Well done 👍

Seems like you couldn't think of anything interesting or whitty to say
15:43, Sun 4 Feb
Llanon_joe

From a contemporary review

"Mel Brooks squanders a snappy title on a stockpile of stale jokes. To say that this slapdash Western spoof lacks freshness and spontaneity and originality is putting it mildly. Blazing Saddles is at once a messy and antiquated gag machine”

Remember seeing it at the time and not finding it particularly funny. I suppose fart jokes will always appeal to 14 year olds at least but it does get flogged to death in my opinion. Others seem to like it. Just seems a bit dull witted to me.

Don’t know why people have to preface things from the past - comedy seems a favourite subject - with how rubbish everything is now compared with how hilarious it was then. People seem to forget things like Terry and June were prime time.

Every age has its funny and unfunny shows and people. Though unlike you, don’t think I miss jokes about mother in laws, blacks and puffs. However hilarious and ‘boundary challenging’ that might have been found by some (in reality of course not at all).
15:45, Sun 4 Feb
I know Joe, I used to like it when comedians blacked up and spoke in a Jamaican accent and did mother in law gags.

I haven't laughed in 20 years
15:59, Sun 4 Feb
Llanon_joe
Seems like you couldn't think of anything interesting or whitty to say

Linked Image
The cold never bothered me anyway
16:03, Sun 4 Feb
newblue
Llanon_joe

From a contemporary review

"Mel Brooks squanders a snappy title on a stockpile of stale jokes. To say that this slapdash Western spoof lacks freshness and spontaneity and originality is putting it mildly. Blazing Saddles is at once a messy and antiquated gag machine”

Remember seeing it at the time and not finding it particularly funny. I suppose fart jokes will always appeal to 14 year olds at least but it does get flogged to death in my opinion. Others seem to like it. Just seems a bit dull witted to me.

Don’t know why people have to preface things from the past - comedy seems a favourite subject - with how rubbish everything is now compared with how hilarious it was then. People seem to forget things like Terry and June were prime time.

Every age has its funny and unfunny shows and people. Though unlike you, don’t think I miss jokes about mother in laws, blacks and puffs. However hilarious and ‘boundary challenging’ that might have been found by some (in reality of course not at all).

I could have put money on you not liking it. Tell us what you find funny then?
16:05, Sun 4 Feb
I've only just turned 34! So mother in law jokes and comedians blacking up hasn't ever appealed to me either. I also haven't mentioned anything about enjoying them jokes and I haven't said that I enjoy blazing saddles.
I was making a point of not finding a lot of the modern comedians funny. But as usual you can't make a point without being assumed you mean something completely different. But it's ok. It's Sunday, I'm bored and fancied a game of 'poke the woke'. Which is incredibly easy on here.
16:21, Sun 4 Feb
From that period? Morecambe and Wise (well Eric anyway), Frankie Howerd, Tommy Cooper always made me laugh, Porridge (Ronnie Barker was a great performer) had started then and of course Fawlty Towers (bits of Monty Python were ok but some left me cold). Probably found Peter Cook the wittiest. It was odd to see Bernard Manning on Mrs Merton because I thought he could tell a joke despite being a racist chunt, though he seemed to think the fact he had more money than Caroline Aherne that made him funnier than her. On that basis Michael feckin McIntyre is the king of comedy. But maybe you like him. Doesn’t do woke, but no fart jokes either.

Don’t know if you mean who is funny now- a few people and shows.
16:23, Sun 4 Feb
Llanon_joe
I've only just turned 34! So mother in law jokes and comedians blacking up hasn't ever appealed to me either. I also haven't mentioned anything about enjoying them jokes and I haven't said that I enjoy blazing saddles.
I was making a point of not finding a lot of the modern comedians funny. But as usual you can't make a point without being assumed you mean something completely different. But it's ok. It's Sunday, I'm bored and fancied a game of 'poke the woke'. Which is incredibly easy on here.

Obviously too clever and whitty for me. Congratulations. You’re a winner.