23:04, Sun 4 Feb
mr_crosby
Can this thread be moved to politics

Like almost all threads it’s gone around the houses but has settled quite amicably, I can mention blazing saddles again for you if you like. It’s a sub par film, of its era, that is very meh to watch now. But has got some funny moments. Wouldn’t be in my top 10 comedy’s because I find humour important. But that is my opinion, what do you think of Blazing saddles?

For what it’s worth Emilio Esteves peaked with the mighty ducks. That was a staple of my childhood, I remember getting excited about the release of MD2 and the merch that came with it. Couldn’t afford any but primark did a mighty ducks theme a few years ago that I saw but didn’t buy. Probably should have done.
23:05, Sun 4 Feb
Llanon_joe
Charcy
Llanon_joe
I've only just turned 34! So mother in law jokes and comedians blacking up hasn't ever appealed to me either. I also haven't mentioned anything about enjoying them jokes and I haven't said that I enjoy blazing saddles.
I was making a point of not finding a lot of the modern comedians funny. But as usual you can't make a point without being assumed you mean something completely different. But it's ok. It's Sunday, I'm bored and fancied a game of 'poke the woke'. Which is incredibly easy on here.

So you've not actually said you like anything. What comedy do you enjoy?

In terms of comedians I like, Micky Flanagan, Peter Kay although his current tour is just a lot of his old stuff. Tom stade,rich hall, Dave cheplelle, Russell Howard, Scott Bennett and rob Beckett is alright. Jason manford as well and frank skinner.

TV shows,
Peep show is one of my favourites.
Only fools is always good.
What we do in the shadows
Here we go (new one on BBC)

Like anything with Matt Berry in, what we did in the shadows is full ham-on from him. Here we go is good, there is a series 1 and the Christmas special was excellent in my view. Curb Your Enthusiasm is missing from your list. A number of the comedians you mention I quite like but some of them I find mostly just amiable enough. I like Peter Kaye when he is playing comic characters.
23:06, Sun 4 Feb
Llanon_joe
Charcy
Llanon_joe
I've only just turned 34! So mother in law jokes and comedians blacking up hasn't ever appealed to me either. I also haven't mentioned anything about enjoying them jokes and I haven't said that I enjoy blazing saddles.
I was making a point of not finding a lot of the modern comedians funny. But as usual you can't make a point without being assumed you mean something completely different. But it's ok. It's Sunday, I'm bored and fancied a game of 'poke the woke'. Which is incredibly easy on here.

In terms of comedians I like, Micky Flanagan, Peter Kay although his current tour is just a lot of his old stuff. Tom stade,rich hall, Dave cheplelle, Russell Howard, Scott Bennett and rob Beckett is alright. Jason manford as well and frank skinner.

TV shows,

Wait until you find out what Jason Manfors is about! He’s as woke as Hereward.
05:56, Mon 5 Feb
Blazing Saddles was a decent parody of Western Movies, but I can’t help but wonder if a lot of people today would recognise that it was mocking racism, or take it at face value? I haven’t watched it since it first came out, but I may do just to see if it has stood the test of time.
06:47, Mon 5 Feb
Blazing Saddles was a decent parody of Western Movies, but I can’t help but wonder if a lot of people today would recognise that it was mocking racism, or take it at face value? I haven’t watched it since it first came out, but I may do just to see if it has stood the test of time.

Blazing Saddles takes the piss out of everyone who would laugh at Blazing Saddles ... it mocks them and shows them to be bigoted, puerile, infantile, of extremely low intelligence and lacking taste

Clever man Mel Brooks on the quiet

In that sense it DOES stand the test of time .... exactly the same sort of people would laugh at it now who laughed at it then. Not the same people (indeed, some who laugh at it now weren't even born then), but the same sort of people ........... luckily many people who laughed at it first time have moved on.

There is an overarching context, where the thing that is funny is not movie or the jokes themselves, but rather that someone would could possibly find it funny.
06:59, Mon 5 Feb
Is that not what the majority of "racist" content does?

I'm sure Ricky Gervais says the target of a joke is different to the subject.
07:22, Mon 5 Feb
Rags

Blazing Saddles takes the piss out of everyone who would laugh at Blazing Saddles ... it mocks them and shows them to be bigoted, puerile, infantile, of extremely low intelligence and lacking taste

In that sense it DOES stand the test of time .... exactly the same sort of people would laugh at it now who laughed at it then. Not the same people (indeed, some who laugh at it now weren't even born then), but the same sort of people ........... luckily many people who laughed at it first time have moved on.

There is an overarching context, where the thing that is funny is not movie or the jokes themselves, but rather that someone would could possibly find it funny.

Yeah, spot on this.

It's a bit like Till Death isn't it. The writers are actually laughing at the racists watching it and enjoying it.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
07:31, Mon 5 Feb
IanT
Rags

Yeah, spot on this.

It's a bit like Till Death isn't it. The writers are actually laughing at the racists watching it and enjoying it.

Jesus, talk about over analysing a bit of humour. I turn it on, some bits make me laugh, others don’t. I turn it off and carry on with my life.
07:53, Mon 5 Feb
I don't think I've ever seen curb your enthusiasm. I have seen series 1 and Xmas special of here we go. I really like the dads character (not sure who plays him) but it's the same guy who plays Gerrard in peep show.
07:56, Mon 5 Feb
Radavis
Llanon_joe
Charcy
Llanon_joe

TV shows,

Wait until you find out what Jason Manfors is about! He’s as woke as Hereward.

???
08:42, Mon 5 Feb
IanT
Rags

Yeah, spot on this.

Jesus, talk about over analysing a bit of humour. I turn it on, some bits make me laugh, others don’t. I turn it off and carry on with my life.

Yep ... can't imagine you ever over analysing something to be fair ... carry on laughing, nothing to see here
08:54, Mon 5 Feb
Rags
IanT
Rags

Yeah, spot on this.

It's a bit like Till Death isn't it. The writers are actually are laughing at the racists watching it and enjoying it.

Yep ... can't imagine you ever over analysing something to be fair ... carry on laughing, nothing to see here

It must be difficult being you rags! You must be a tortured soul Being as intelligent as you are.
10:00, Mon 5 Feb
Sunik

Bernard wasn’t racist then, he’s just taking the mick out of the dim witted racists who find his racism funny?

Now I see why you like him and lament the passing.
10:03, Mon 5 Feb
Rags
IanT
Rags

Yeah, spot on this.

I suspect He’s probably confused that I find some of the things funny that he does. Too confusing to think about in his world as that shouldn’t happen . Easier to not bother thinking.
10:27, Mon 5 Feb
newblue
Sunik

Bernard wasn’t racist then, he’s just taking the mick out of the dim witted racists who find his racism funny?

Now I see why you like him and lament the passing.

No, he was a master joke teller and naturally very funny man. His content is somewhat dated and rightfully left in the past.