08:23, Mon 12 Feb
Ridiculous really Leicester 60 million Leeds and Southampton 40 million wage bill , surprise surprise top 3, Rotherham 6 million rock bottom πŸ™„
08:47, Mon 12 Feb
Parachute payments …. Another great idea cooked up by the premiership clubs to give them an unfair advantage if they get relegated
10:00, Mon 12 Feb
Did you whine when we were benefiting from said payments? We would hoover up the best players from our efl rivals, every time we got relegated from the prem.
10:06, Mon 12 Feb
No ffp rules when we had parachute payments, Big difference all about the income now and I don’t recall hoovering up too much talent more like a fire sale πŸ™„
KES
10:08, Mon 12 Feb
And we still struggled and huffed and puffed over the line, never as Champions.
10:09, Mon 12 Feb
We are potentially going to need it in a couple of seasons
10:16, Mon 12 Feb
Signing Cameron Jerome and Gary McSheffrey when we got relegated felt pretty big back in the day. Jerome was second in the league's top scorers the season before and McSheffrey 5th. And we loaned half the Arsenal academy.

We did pay for it tbf, selling Heskey and Pennant etc.
10:18, Mon 12 Feb
Reedy1968
Parachute payments …. Another great idea cooked up by the premiership clubs to give them an unfair advantage if they get relegated
Originally of course they were not - they were because Chelsea &c's cheating had driven the wages up to such a level that sides needed to pay over the odds to have a chance of staying up. And therefore they should not be bankrupted if that failed given that 3 would be guaranteed to go down regardless.

The last TV deal though renders that unnecessary...
10:22, Mon 12 Feb
Dean peer
Ridiculous really Leicester 60 million Leeds and Southampton 40 million wage bill , surprise surprise top 3, Rotherham 6 million rock bottom πŸ™„

At the moment, I can't see an alternative to parachute payments. You get in the PL, and if you want to compete, you have to attract the right players with the wages/length of contract. If you're subsequently relegated, you're stuck with a percentage of those contracts, that Championship revenues can't cover.
I've no doubt you can put relegation clauses in to the players contracts, but you're going to make that job a lot less enticing than what the other 19 clubs are offering.
10:25, Mon 12 Feb
you solve that by mandating that every contract has to have a relegation clause even the big boys
BCFC - Letting me down for 50 years
10:31, Mon 12 Feb
you solve that by mandating that every contract has to have a relegation clause even the big boys

🌟
10:32, Mon 12 Feb
The issue at the moment is the clubs get the parachute payments to make up for some of the shortfall, but then they sell 3 or 4 players for £100M+, so it's almost like a double whammy, they are essentially Premier League clubs playing in the Championship, Premier League budgets and Premier League squads. I don't know how you fix it though
Happy Clapper
10:37, Mon 12 Feb
Pro rata it on player sales/earnings

Should be used to plug gaps not fund a war chest
10:38, Mon 12 Feb
Signing and paying prem wages for Carsley, Phillips, Bent and Carr. Bringing in prem loans midway through the campaign. Quashie, Hunt, Sinclair and Bowyer saw us cement a promotion place and get over the line.

We had one of the top 3 wage bills and the bottom teams paid the lowest wages. Nothing has changed, in that regard.

David Gold used to rave about parachute payments and the advantage they afforded to us, but now other teams benefit, life has become so unfair
10:46, Mon 12 Feb
My Blue Heaven
Pro rata it on player sales/earnings

Should be used to plug gaps not fund a war chest
Tbf we sold Jude and doubled our income for that season. No one minded that
Tony Fantastico