18:45, Wed 21 Feb
Rags
Latest Birmingham City news from BirminghamLive as Wayne Rooney discusses his Blues departure with Gary Neville, Roy Keane, Jamie Carragher and Jill Scott

[www.birminghammail.co.uk]

Four failed football managers having a discussion about why it's always someone else's fault and not their own.

He can try and rewrite the history of his time at Blues all he likes, but he failed. He failed. He failed, and he failed miserably. There was hardly a moment when he even convinced anyone apart from his own groupies that he was advancing. He started badly, and in the main got worse. He must have tried 5 or 6 different approaches in his 15 matches here and not one of them worked.

If he thinks managing Birmingham constitutes "starting at the bottom" and that his "name" had nothing to do with him getting the gig then he's delusional. Birmingham appointing Rooney was a ridiculous decision. It was nepotism, deluded and flew in the face of all the evidence of any previous managerial achievement.

He failed because, whilst at Blues, he made every possible mistake it's possible to make.

Even Zola had the balls to stick to his own ideas .... Rooney seemed to be basing his approach on some lucky-dip-what-we-going-to-try-next fairground lottery.

There was nothing, to me, in his time at Blues that he did well. Nothing at all.

To now turn round - and i listened to the interview just now - and blame

1.. Eustace had done too well
2.. Fans never gave me a chance
3.. Blues are not a stable club
4.. Owners didn't gift him the players he wanted
5.. Planet Mars hadn't entered Aquarius and the moon and the stars weren't aligned

... what a load of old shit.

He should be telling it as it is .... "i was fecking lucky to get the job considering how shite i've been in every managerial position so far - and i spent 15 matches proving why i'm a shite manager"

Deluded prIck

All of THIS.

Plus, the sheer lack of warmth, the humourlessness, the cliche trotting, the weird power stance + black "suit of armour" - you can argue this is small beer, but it adds up to no-one in their right mind leaning towards him.

And if you think it's just rot, go and watch Rooney and Mowbray's first interviews again. Chalk and cheese. Rooney appears to be in the kitchen of a student hall of residence, horrible edits (some of which are clearly to save him from his mumbling, inarticulate self) and shifting camera angles.

Then you've got Mowbray's first interview - coherent, impassioned, plausible and devoid of cliche. Also filmed properly in a proper environment.

Now Rooney can't help the production values, but, good God...

He stumbles over the names of his own coaching team, everything is cliched drivel. Dispassionate and meaningless. He appears to be anxious to leap into a waiting cab.

He's a dreadful communicator, appears to revel in the anti-intellectual, and he's witless and aloof.

And his managerial record is, somehow, one of diminishing returns even at such a nascent stage.

I'm really glad he's no longer our manager for so many reasons.
19:02, Wed 21 Feb
Glad people have got over things and don’t obsess about meaningless details any more.
19:11, Wed 21 Feb
"All on Cook" guy, yeah?

Yeah, "meaningless" stuff like being an atrocious communicator but reckon you can manage people

What was the ONE good Rooney thing then? What are we missing?

Giving Donovan a couple of minutes in losing causes?
19:30, Wed 21 Feb
bluefrank
"All on Cook" guy, yeah?

Yeah, "meaningless" stuff like being an atrocious communicator but reckon you can manage people

What was the ONE good Rooney thing then? What are we missing?

Giving Donovan a couple of minutes in losing causes?

Who’s defending him? I’m pointing out the obsessions of those who seem to have a real visceral dislike for him - you know, going on about this power stance stuff and the like, in a thread that’s a response to comments which are essentially a non event. Think you should move on too.
19:37, Wed 21 Feb
Rooney is in the past, let's concentrate on the future. KRO
19:49, Wed 21 Feb
Couldn’t agree more
05:49, Thu 22 Feb
Happily have "moved on".

It was a thread about Rooney bemoaning his time at Blues.

I bemoaned it too.
07:23, Thu 22 Feb
I think there’s nothing he said that’s not true.

In fact it’s an honest assessment.

1. The majority of the fans didn’t want him from day one.
2. It was the hardest 5 games when he took over.
3. He should have given it more time before taking over but he backed himself and it didn’t work out.
4. If he was promised players in Jan, he was sacked 2 days into the transfer window.

Interesting him saying he had one coach too many - I think that’s Ashley Cole.
07:27, Thu 22 Feb
Just think Cook was as much to blane on this tbh..It was a gamble that backfired..weve ended up in a much stronger position for next season now -so we all move on
08:35, Thu 22 Feb
6 more pages discussing the pros and cons of Rooney's appointment..... still !
It's been done to death but people love regurgitating the same old bollocks. They've already had their say, some many many times over.
Why are people dwelling on this, it's history.
Time to move on and enjoy The Project.
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
11:28, Thu 22 Feb
Must have a great agent Rooney, constantly keeping him in the spotlight, a few days ago, becoming a boxer, day after going to Sunderland yesterday Pep Gaurdiola's assistant, today the scoop that he was close to taking a law degree because he wanted to wear a wig in a courtroom.