09:15, Mon 26 Feb
Go Home Bodger
All the boomers will be buzzing about this

The rest of us would rather an extra 100k spent on an actual striker
Well that's quite generalising !
Where would you draw the line with this sort of spending against spending on players ? Using that logic some might think that the spending on the big badge on the outside of the Kop etc, would have been better used on players
13:09, Mon 26 Feb
newblue
Sheriff
Linked Image

😁are there actually any statues of footballers that are any good?

Billy Bremner at Leeds, Law/Charlton/Best at Old Trafford

I like the Tom Finney one at Preston. No idea if it's a good likeness.
13:44, Mon 26 Feb
Hope the person who re- modeled Beau B doesn’t have a say in the design.
15:30, Mon 26 Feb
davenports
Go Home Bodger

Where would you draw the line with this sort of spending against spending on players ? Using that logic some might think that the spending on the big badge on the outside of the Kop etc, would have been better used on players

Thing is our owners are hardly digging around down the back of the settee for pennies. They could spend £100k on a statue (outside FFP) and they still have the cash to spend on players (FFP limited of course), this won't affect our transfer spending in the slightest. £100k on a statue doesn't mean -£100k on players.

They don't have to do this at all, but the fact they want to says everything about the type of owners they are. They could have asked us to dig into our own pockets to fund it, yet they haven't. This is non-essential spend yet the 'value' us as supporters would get out of it is intangible.
16:38, Mon 26 Feb
We will do thousands in the club shop and concessions on the day of the unveiling.

Do an open day of some kind on the Kop Car Park one Saturday during the Summer. Release one of the kits the same day.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
Tam
16:48, Mon 26 Feb
Charcy
We will do thousands in the club shop and concessions on the day of the unveiling.

Do an open day of some kind on the Kop Car Park one Saturday during the Summer. Release one of the kits the same day.

It's great, really. Tapping into, and respecting, the club's history and one of it's most iconic players, while creating revenue and awareness, including social media activity. I think it's a great move - it's a lovely move in it's own right, but a clever move as well.
Make Blues Great Again
Would this statue mean we’re staying at St ANDREW’S?

I’ll be very honest…I couldn’t care if we moved elsewhere tbh. I love the blues and have some good memories at the ground, but it’s far from a shrine and don’t think it’s imbued into our identity like other clubs with their grounds ; Anfield, Old Trafford, Craven Cottage , Vile Park…

Statue would be great though…too late if we’re looking elsewhere IMO
Surely a statue can be moved?
17:02, Mon 26 Feb
JayDee
Surely a statue can be moved?

Yeah I wasn't sure if he was being serious.
I’m aware it can be moved, don’t worry 😂 it’s just the combination of them giving almost all of the ground a makeover (including reconstructing the lower tiers, Tilton safe standing, etc…) and commissioning a statue makes me wonder whether they want us here long term, or are just doing very good fan service to keep us happy before the relocation.

Unless they are happy to rebuild that absolute monstrosity of a main stand, I’m happy to move, and wouldn’t part too painfully with the ground. Also think they want us at a multipurpose site with better travel links, etc.
A move will take a number of years. They need to keep things fresh physically and creatively in the meantime.
17:29, Mon 26 Feb
JayDee
davenports
Go Home Bodger

Thing is our owners are hardly digging around down the back of the settee for pennies. They could spend £100k on a statue (outside FFP) and they still have the cash to spend on players (FFP limited of course), this won't affect our transfer spending in the slightest. £100k on a statue doesn't mean -£100k on players.

They don't have to do this at all, but the fact they want to says everything about the type of owners they are. They could have asked us to dig into our own pockets to fund it, yet they haven't. This is non-essential spend yet the 'value' us as supporters would get out of it is intangible.

If the club spent 100k on a statue it ain’t outside ffp.

...if it was £100K from a benefactor there wouldn't be a problem would there? 😤
18:48, Mon 26 Feb
Mr Miyagi and the X-Men

Could it not be classed as 'community' expenditure? Plonk it on top of the Kop stand and it's infrastructure? Its not operating expenditure, surely?
18:55, Mon 26 Feb
JayDee
Mr Miyagi and the X-Men

Could it not be classed as 'community' expenditure? Plonk it on top of the Kop stand and it's infrastructure? Its not operating expenditure, surely?

No, it's not community expenditure - that's money spent on things such as the Birmingham City Foundation.

As for infrastructure... that's not the exclusion people think it is.

The calculation is here: [www.efl.com]

Linked Image