15:18, Sun 3 Mar
...Thunderbirds are go

... but also the keeper has to release the ball, could catch on -

[www.theguardian.com]

Ifab revealed another unusual idea. Under its new proposals, which can be trialled from next season in any competition other than the top two divisions of domestic leagues, goalkeepers will be able to hold on to the ball for eight seconds rather than the traditional six. For the last five seconds, however, the referee will raise his hand and count down five fingers to warn the player of how much time they have remaining.

If no fingers are visible and the keeper still has the ball, trials would allow for the opposition to either be given a throw‑in, in line with the penalty spot, or a corner.

The chief executive of the Scottish FA, Ian Maxwell, who sits on the Ifab board, said the proposals were addressing a difficult problem for referees. “We have seen an increasing trend in time being wasted in the game and that is one occasion where that happens,” he said. “It is certainly a difficult situation under the current laws for the referee to manage because giving an indirect free-kick in the box is incredibly difficult for them. So we are looking at increasing that [time] to eight seconds.

“The referee will hold up his hand to signal the last five seconds of that, so that everyone playing the game and in the stadium is aware. We will assess the impact that has and hopefully that means we will increase the number of minutes played.”

The chief executive of the English FA, Mark Bullingham, said the referee’s finger raising could become a hit with the crowd – “You’ll see the crowd respond to that and the other players will” – and that it was important to try out new ideas. “The reality is these things are trials, if they don’t work they don’t get put through,” he said. “Equally if you ask someone if their team has just lost 1-0 and the other team were using time-wasting tactics at the end of the game they would be frustrated at that.”
15:24, Sun 3 Mar
It’s my biggest hate. But enforce the current bloody law and count down now rather than changing the law again
Tony Fantastico
15:27, Sun 3 Mar
I find it strange they're seemingly trying to come up with new laws to address problems that could be addressed using the current laws if applied correctly and consistently. (Blue card, sin bins and now this)
15:29, Sun 3 Mar
It’s my biggest hate. But enforce the current bloody law and count down now rather than changing the law again

So an indirect free kick at the point of not getting rid ?
17:01, Sun 3 Mar
Yep 👍
Tony Fantastico
17:36, Sun 3 Mar
They should also start issuing yellow cards to players who claim every throw in and corner when the other players no where near.
17:39, Sun 3 Mar
This would be an absolute farce destined to be binned after 5 games.
masqueraiding as a intelligent person
17:50, Sun 3 Mar
It’s a difficult one to enforce .

Time wasting isn’t black and white . There will be times in games where a keeper holds on longer than 6 seconds but aren’t playing down the clock.

Whether they’ve just had a minor knock or whether they’re assessing options etc (think the Sheff Utd keeper got done for something similar)

I’ve reffed games that are really 1 sided and both teams are going through the motions where keepers have held for longer than 6.
Common sense should prevail but law technically means IDFK
17:59, Sun 3 Mar
A new rule I’d like to see is as soon as a penalty is awarded the keeper has 10 seconds to get into his six yard box where he must remain until the kick is taken.

Outfield players have the same time to get out of the eighteen yard box.

Put a stop to them wandering around scuffing the penalty spot, delaying the kick and getting in the face of the penalty taker.
18:03, Sun 3 Mar
Dolph
It’s a difficult one to enforce .

Time wasting isn’t black and white . There will be times in games where a keeper holds on longer than 6 seconds but aren’t playing down the clock.

Whether they’ve just had a minor knock or whether they’re assessing options etc (think the Sheff Utd keeper got done for something similar)

I’ve reffed games that are really 1 sided and both teams are going through the motions where keepers have held for longer than 6.
Common sense should prevail but law technically means IDFK
It’s simple to enforce imo. The score should be irrelevant in decision making as well in competitive adult sport
Tony Fantastico
21:52, Sun 3 Mar
In todays Manc game , Onana had the ball without releasing for 15 seconds… I think
21:54, Sun 3 Mar
26 seconds the worst I’ve seen this season in a live Prem game on tv
Tony Fantastico
15:23, Mon 4 Mar
Inevitably it'll end up with "that was never 5 seconds" or "it's been at least 10 seconds"...

The ref can currently book a goalie for time wasting and he can be a lot more subjective about it. A losing team taking their time is entirely up to them, but a winning team mucking about can be penalised at the discretion of the ref after a few warnings. Ultimately if the ref has booked the goalie and warned him multiple times he can escalate it to an indirect free kick.

If this rule came in the ref would have to enforce it every single time the goalie has the ball in hands. There'd also be players getting in the way of the goalie to prevent him from taking it properly, or counting down on behalf of the ref in front of the goalie, etc... I think it would be better for the ref to be allowed to exercise discretion because in the scheme of things it's hardly the most important officiating issue that needs addressing.

I'd rather they focused on penalising players who dive or roll around feigning injury. I don't think I've ever seen a player who's had to be treated on the pitch and then made to wait 30 seconds before coming back on take longer than that. They're always chomping at the bit to be let back on.
15:29, Mon 4 Mar
The ref should enforce all laws. It’s his job too.
And I think wasting time is a huge issue that ruins some games as a spectacle
Tony Fantastico
17:07, Mon 4 Mar
JayDee
...The ref can currently book a goalie for time wasting and he can be a lot more subjective about it. A losing team taking their time is entirely up to them, but a winning team mucking about can be penalised at the discretion of the ref after a few warnings. Ultimately if the ref has booked the goalie and warned him multiple times he can escalate it to an indirect free kick...

Thats not what the FA Law 12 says though is it?

It says:

"An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

* controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it"

So... no warning required, no cards required... it's an indirect free kick at the point of the offence.
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.