21:44, Mon 4 Mar
One of the very best books I have ever read is "Uttermost Part of the Earth" by E. Lucas Bridges. Sort-of-autobiography of the child of missionaries who went to TdF to civilize the natives. But it's almost all about the culture and human history of the groups down there, the god-bothering is to a minimum.

It also in passing points up the ridiculous nature of the Argentine claim to the Falklands - nobody knew they were in Argentina for decades; it was only when surveyors came down to build a prison (now a museum) that it was apparent that the national boundary was just to the west of Ushuaia. Argentina had been totally uninterested in the land closest to the Falkands for decades after independence.
22:45, Mon 4 Mar
bluearmyfaction
One of the very best books I have ever read is "Uttermost Part of the Earth" by E. Lucas Bridges. Sort-of-autobiography of the child of missionaries who went to TdF to civilize the natives. But it's almost all about the culture and human history of the groups down there, the god-bothering is to a minimum.

It also in passing points up the ridiculous nature of the Argentine claim to the Falklands - nobody knew they were in Argentina for decades; it was only when surveyors came down to build a prison (now a museum) that it was apparent that the national boundary was just to the west of Ushuaia. Argentina had been totally uninterested in the land closest to the Falkands for decades after independence.

Malvinas is a Spanish word derived from Malouines = from St Malo, settlers to the Falklands from France way before the Argentina claims. They almost admit their lack of a claim with the choice of that name alone, never mind loads of other reasons. But not a topic to raise there and expect a nice conversation, I did raise the topic of the hand of God a couple of times though!