08:35, Wed 20 Mar
Late on Tuesday evening Birmingham City confirmed that Gary Rowett has been appointed as interim manager for the remainder of the 2023/24 season. The decision was taken by Blues after it was confirmed that Tony Mowbray was to take a formal medical leave of absence until the start of pre-season 2024/

[almajir.net]
08:48, Wed 20 Mar
Good point about allowing TM the time and mental space for a full and speedy recovery. Fingers crossed it works well for him
08:54, Wed 20 Mar
Good read Dan

I think GR will keep us up and like you will want Tony back to carry on the work nx season
But for now ...the next 8 games are all that matters
Lets beat QPR , HUDDS and ROTHERHAM and we can all relax

KRO
08:57, Wed 20 Mar
While I know it’s not much like the same situation, I’m sure I’m not the only person who has logged on to work from home while not feeling 100%.

Every time I’ve done that it’s been done out of a sense of duty that work got done and that my colleagues weren’t let down.

Yet I’ve frequently found that it’s been difficult to ensure tasks have been done properly in that situation and in the end I’ve only prolonged the amount of time I need to rest and return to full health.

lol lazy fvccker
08:58, Wed 20 Mar
I've never thought TM would be back this season. With an illness so suddenly picked up and acted upon it never sounded like just a few weeks rehilibation. I just hope he's going to be okay, everything else around football is miniscule on comparison
09:02, Wed 20 Mar
I'd be very disappointed if Tony Mowbray wasn't able to return to the club and continue in his role. He has clearly been supportive of the decision to temporarily bring in Rowett, which shows his commitment and loyalty to the club. He has recognised that an interim manager was needed both for the good of the club and, potentially, for the good of his health.

Similarly, I would imagine that Rowett will see this as an opportunity of both earning a good living and putting himself in the shop window. If he does keep us up, I would imagine there will be no shortage of suitors.

Effectively this is a win/win situation and there is no reason to anticipate that it will lead to any turmoil in the summer. Hopefully TM and MV will be back to lead us through another Championship campaign, and Rowett can leave with our thanks and hopefully with a nice contract with another EFL club.
09:07, Wed 20 Mar
Thongs
While I know it’s not much like the same situation, I’m sure I’m not the only person who has logged on to work from home while not feeling 100%.

Every time I’ve done that it’s been done out of a sense of duty that work got done and that my colleagues weren’t let down.

Yet I’ve frequently found that it’s been difficult to ensure tasks have been done properly in that situation and in the end I’ve only prolonged the amount of time I need to rest and return to full health.

lol lazy fvccker

Love you too Thongsy
Tam
09:07, Wed 20 Mar
Agreed. I wasn't a fan of Rowett from his footballing days with us, and as a manager I found his football boring but effective.

It feels like the right move all round now, and I hope that Tony gets a proper convalescence and hope that he wants to take up the challenge again. If he doesn't, then we still need to be in this division. I think that it's a very good move under the circumstances.
Make Blues Great Again
09:16, Wed 20 Mar
A very balanced,considerate and compassionate take on things Mayor.

Others please take note.

💙
09:23, Wed 20 Mar
If Rowett works out, I don't think he will be the sentimental hire.

I can't see what the best scenario for Mowbray to return to would be. If we stay up and Rowett does his job, Mowbray may say 'you crack on son'. If we go down, will he want the challenge of getting us promoted, given his assistant oversaw our most recent terrible form?
09:25, Wed 20 Mar
TinaTractor
If Rowett works out, I don't think he will be the sentimental hire.

I can't see what the best scenario for Mowbray to return to would be. If we stay up and Rowett does his job, Mowbray may say 'you crack on son'. If we go down, will he want the challenge of getting us promoted, given his assistant oversaw our most recent terrible form?

Stop asking "what ifs" all the time!
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
09:27, Wed 20 Mar
Sweepover
A very balanced,considerate and compassionate take on things Mayor.

Others please take note.

💙

👍👏
09:35, Wed 20 Mar
There are so many ifs and buts that we just have to buckle up for the remainder of the season and not look much beyond this. Look at the variables already

1) Rowett sends us down
2) We survive but through some pretty poor football and some luck elsewhere
3) He harnesses what we know could be there because it has been evident in small patches, we survive and play some exciting free flowing football.

On the flip side

1) Tony is desperate to return wherever we are playing next season
2) He could decide that his expertise, motivation for league 1 isn't sufficient and leaves
3) He may decide to call it a day.

So best case scenario is we win every game under Gary playing terrific football. Tony is fighting fit and ready to rumble for a promotion push the Prem and the owners face some degree of quandary. Or we could go down without a fight and have to find another new gaffer for the first match away to Barrow in August.
09:36, Wed 20 Mar
Rowett is the man to sav eour season, he isn't the man to take us forward. So while i am delighted he is back, don't want him beyond the end of the seaon however successful he is.
BCFC - Letting me down for 50 years
09:44, Wed 20 Mar
Agree that Rowett should only be an interim appointment. I think we know what sort of championship manager he is at this point and it's great for our current situation but not moving forward.

I do worry that the TM's position, much as I want it to be, is not a certainty. Not knowing what the medical condition is, we can't be certain he's here for the long term. He might step back into the seat and decide he can no longer do it or even decide that before he comes back. Obviously that's just conjecture but I think we need to ready ourselves for every possibility.

Personally, if he could only do one more season, I'd still trust him to set us up well for the future.