21:02, Wed 27 Mar
Nikola Zigic
We’ve just booked Lucarelli’s in the Mailbox. I’ll let you know how it is, looks very nice.
The one in West Brom is very good.
Lucarelli’s that is. Not the West Brom Mailbox. They only have a pallet
Tony Fantastico
21:06, Wed 27 Mar
Yeah my uncle, a baggie, recommended it. May re-book at the west brom one instead.

I fancied a really good curry, so I'd take any Birmingham recommendations for that please
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
21:09, Wed 27 Mar
Nothing else round it though at the West Brom one apart from a couple of rough pubs and Sandwell Hospital. Unless you wanna pop round mine for a beer. Only 15 minutes away
Tony Fantastico
21:10, Wed 27 Mar
Not sure why people go mental for the Ivy. I had my work Christmas meal at the one in Oxford, and it was good but nothing out of this world. I'm not sure I'd rush back if having to spend my own money on it rather than Professor Plum's.
21:13, Wed 27 Mar
Agreed about the Ivy. Overpriced and mediocre. Menu is too big for me to trust that most things are fresh.
21:15, Wed 27 Mar
I think it's consistently good and the service is excellent.

The best meal I've had lately in Brum was at Wilderness. Haven't been to Opheem yet though.
21:16, Wed 27 Mar
Probably around 150-200 for both maximum.
Unfortunately would need to be from 8pm onwards
21:45, Wed 27 Mar
Well, if it were me, I would definitely go for Chakana in Moseley. Small, intimate, very attentive staff, amazing food and around the budget. Only my opinion having tried plenty of those recommended on here.

Good luck anyway and hope you both have a lovely evening.

Tasting menu: [static1.squarespace.com]

A La Carte: [static1.squarespace.com]
JCL
06:37, Thu 28 Mar
tebily
Verbena in Stirchley is really nice, not rough and ready like a lot of stirchley, bit more grown up but still memorable.

It is very tasty and quite refined. Think fine dining but more relaxed. go for a cocktail or two at Couch as well, which is nearby.

I went to the Jam House in the week the other day for some guru guitar player or other, my folks were big fans, and the food was decent, along with some good music, it was very enjoyable.
Everything in moderation, even moderation.
09:07, Thu 28 Mar
Tom TheProject Brady
Agreed about the Ivy. Overpriced and mediocre. Menu is too big for me to trust that most things are fresh.

I've not been to the Birmingham Ivy, but have been to 3-4 others (they're everywhere these days, seemingly).

I think it's just refreshing that the ambience is always nice and the service is reliably professional and attentive. I've had some really nice nights out at various Ivy restaurants, and it's never really the food I've remembered.
09:14, Thu 28 Mar
For people like me number8, Spike and My Blue Heaven who are massive on Instagram, The Ivy is great. It’s the most instagramable place in Brum.
09:17, Thu 28 Mar
[null]
Rab C Nesbitt
El Mayor
Happy Days
Not looking for a curry house as such this time.
It’s a big birthday for my good lady next week.

Looking to push the boat out within reason.

Any recommendations for restaurants? Romantic, good food, etc etc.

TIA

Where?

Clapping emoji
09:24, Thu 28 Mar
Tattu for the instagram crowd.

Not been in the evening, but Orelle at night would be romantic. A much better option than the Ivy, for me.
09:29, Thu 28 Mar
Well, if it were me, I would definitely go for Chakana in Moseley. Small, intimate, very attentive staff, amazing food and around the budget. Only my opinion having tried plenty of those recommended on here.

Good luck anyway and hope you both have a lovely evening.

Tasting menu: [static1.squarespace.com]

A La Carte: [static1.squarespace.com]

On the tasting menu a couple of the dishes feature “Tigers milk” Who would be brave/ stupid enough to milk a tiger?