19:40, Thu 28 Mar
Apparantly in a bad way re dementia this is terrible news - what a player in his day... life is so shit sometimes
19:53, Thu 28 Mar
Over 400 games for them, one of the best I’ve seen there. Only 65 slightly younger than I am. Dementia is not just something you see in old people now terrible for him.

Supposed to be a really good bloke as well.
19:54, Thu 28 Mar
That's a terrible shame. Poor bloke.
20:06, Thu 28 Mar
Mister Mutley, can I ask you if you once attended the famous Duddeston Manor?
20:07, Thu 28 Mar
Awful disease.

Was it him that IPF used to play squash with?
20:33, Thu 28 Mar
Pirate Blue
Apparantly in a bad way re dementia this is terrible news - what a player in his day... life is so shit sometimes
used to play football with him in the old days over 35s, all stars, he is really a lovely guy, shocking news
21:44, Thu 28 Mar
Very sad news. He was a fantastic player. 65? Bloody hell.
23:25, Thu 28 Mar
newblue
Mister Mutley, can I ask you if you once attended the famous Duddeston Manor?

No born close, they knocked the house down to build the ring road. Christened at St Matthews.

Moved to St Saviours Road Saltley, managed to fluke the 11plus despite my laziness and had the joy of the 14 bus trip to Tile Cross at Central.

Lived within two miles of St Andrews for my first 28 years. That’s why I’m buzzed to see some good news for the area. The fact the Demographics have changed is immaterial to me it will always be where my roots are.
07:36, Fri 29 Mar
The other side of Alum Rock road in Saltley to me. A lot of kids from St Matthews went to Duddeston. My two older brothers used to get that 14 bus to Tile Cross and Central too, both played for Rockwood for a while who played at Adderley Park for a while. The Rosary was a big connection with my Catholic mates. I remember the Country Girl as my old man had a long connection with it and we used to go as kids. They must have had a family room. I spent far too much time in the old Rock pub which was also full of ‘local interest’.

As you say, great to see potential investment there - more than that really. It’s been pretty derelict round there for a long time.
08:32, Fri 29 Mar
Awful news. Great player and by all accounts a top bloke. It was a travesty that he only won 10 England caps - had he played for a London club he would have won a lot more.
08:35, Fri 29 Mar
He was my coach for a time and took a shine to me, good bloke, good coach, sad news.
Happy Clapper
09:29, Fri 29 Mar
Dear friends and supporters.

In an attempt to stop speculation and mis information about my health, I have decided to release the following statement. After a series of recent tests, I have been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's Disease. Medication has been prescribed and with some life changes, which I intend to commit to fully, the prognosis is a good one. I will be out and about for many years yet and see this as just another of life's journeys. My match day duties with Aston Villa will remain an important part of my future and I will continue to perform these, in support of my beloved club, for as long as my health allows. With the love and support of family and close friends guaranteed, I am very optimistic and positive about the future.

With Love.

Gordon ( Sid ) Cowans x"
09:31, Fri 29 Mar
Good egg as well, used to drink in my local in Walmley, the Oak N Ash, always had time for everyone
10:20, Fri 29 Mar
I generally take an automatic dislike to anyone who puts on the pink & baby blue, but it was tough to do that with Sid : you couldn’t help but admire his silky skills and wish we had one like him in our team.

all the best, Sid
KRO