Fat Buddha CBE
Don’t just say sorry, Howard Webb, expose players who game the system

[www.thetimes.co.uk]
It’s a bit “physician, heal thysef” though. How often do the media call out cheats? Was there ever any criticism of Smith and Grealish at Vile for instance?
13:42, Wed 3 Apr
Spike
Fat Buddha CBE

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

That article is good, fine and overdue - the only mystery is how he fails to mention the king of all cheats. Perhaps it's because he can hardly get a game for Man City nowadays?

And written by a lifelong West Ham fan so perhaps lacking in objectivity.
15:41, Wed 3 Apr
Fat Buddha CBE

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Why is contact in quotation marks in the article? That wasn’t a waft of wind Gordon felt.

I remember when we got a penalty in some game when Larson got us a penalty by getting between the keeper and a ball in the air, taking the hit. Don’t remember much dissent on here about it being unfair because Seb had blocked the keeper’s path to the ball.
15:50, Wed 3 Apr
Quite simple really. When an attacker goes down from getting their body in the way in the box, are they actually in a position to play/control the ball, or are they 'initiating contact'?

Getting your body between the keeper and the ball to challenge with it is smart, brave play. Gordon's challenge for the second ball gets nowhere near it and causes the two players to collide. That's why, for me, it is the wrong decision.
16:16, Wed 3 Apr
Larsson was definitely ‘initiating contact’
16:24, Wed 3 Apr
Istanblue
Quite simple really. When an attacker goes down from getting their body in the way in the box, are they actually in a position to play/control the ball, or are they 'initiating contact'?

Getting your body between the keeper and the ball to challenge with it is smart, brave play. Gordon's challenge for the second ball gets nowhere near it and causes the two players to collide. That's why, for me, it is the wrong decision.
Tbf what caused them to collide was Phillips kicking him the dozy sod
Tony Fantastico
16:32, Wed 3 Apr
Fat Buddha CBE

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Why is contact in quotation marks in the article? That wasn’t a waft of wind Gordon felt.

I remember when we got a penalty in some game when Larson got us a penalty by getting between the keeper and a ball in the air, taking the hit. Don’t remember much dissent on here about it being unfair because Seb had blocked the keeper’s path to the ball.

You (and Rab and Ian T) were wrong about this ealier in the thread, and you're wrong about it now. After being proven so wrong i can't believe you are coming back to emphasise your mistakes.

Perhaps taking a bit of time out, reading the comments here, re-watchig the clips, reading the laws of the game, listening to ex referees and players without agendas will help
16:35, Wed 3 Apr
Istanblue

There was only contact because Gordon put himself in the way of an already swinging leg - deliberately.
16:41, Wed 3 Apr
Players have ‘bought’ fouls from time immemorial. Shearer used to do it all the time. One classic (perpetrated by many) was to move towards the ball and stop, inviting your marker to run into you - attacking free kick to be put in the box. Result.

The flicking your leg out to catch the defenders leg is a relatively new one and can pretty easily be determined in my view. I don’t think Gordon’s falls into that category, albeit he was gaming the situation.
16:44, Wed 3 Apr
Rags
Istanblue

There was only contact because Gordon put himself in the way of an already swinging leg - deliberately.
Gordon is allowed to deliberately do what he did. Phillips wasn’t allowed to not pull out of his attempt to kick the ball which resulted in him fouling Gordon. Clear penalty. As per the laws of the game
Tony Fantastico
18:07, Wed 3 Apr
Rags
Fat Buddha CBE

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

You (and Rab and Ian T) were wrong about this ealier in the thread, and you're wrong about it now. After being proven so wrong i can't believe you are coming back to emphasise your mistakes.

Perhaps taking a bit of time out, reading the comments here, re-watchig the clips, reading the laws of the game, listening to ex referees and players without agendas will help

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

If it wasn’t you Rags I’d feel patronised. Player ‘with agendas’ 😁
18:15, Wed 3 Apr
Rags
Fat Buddha CBE

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

If it wasn’t you Rags I’d feel patronised. Player ‘with agendas’ 😁

"If it wasn’t you Rags I’d feel patronised."

Shit - must try harder
18:28, Wed 3 Apr
👍