Thought the first episode was ok. Hope it gets better.
H

Consistently correct and proven right.
The reviewer in the Guardian is gushing about it, so will give it a go, mind you her recommendations are usually the best.

Not the best. Ffs
08:09, Mon 1 Apr
My thoughts exactly. Is OK, looks like it has scope to improve and probably needs to.
08:11, Mon 1 Apr
Falstaff
I’m three episodes in, and I like it. Thought the references to Zulus were a bit gratuitous, and some of the script was trying too hard to paint a picture of how bad parts of Brum and Cov were around that time, but the locations are well chosen and look pretty authentic. Acting is really good and the humour is perfect. Nice to hear authentic accents. Is the story strong enough? I’m hoping so, but the jury is out right now.

Disagree, thought they were poor. The only one I thought was realistic was the nans
08:31, Mon 1 Apr
Fat Buddha CBE
The reviewer in the Guardian is gushing about it, so will give it a go, mind you her recommendations are usually the best.

Not the best. Ffs

This is what happens to you when you read too much Guardian. 😜
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
09:57, Mon 1 Apr
Fat Buddha CBE

Not the best. Ffs

Too true. Gone downhill since becoming a right wing rag
10:05, Mon 1 Apr
Fat Buddha CBE
Fat Buddha CBE

Not the best. Ffs

Too true. Gone downhill since becoming a right wing rag

πŸ˜‚
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
10:07, Mon 1 Apr
After 2 episodes in I'm enjoying it.

Loving the use of The Happy Trooper and the fact there is a character called Wire.

Growing up 2nd generation Irish in Chelmsley Wood , there is a lot of nostalgia to embrace.

Don't over analyse it as a piece of art . It's entertainment and a homage to people like us from a certain place at a certain time.
10:18, Mon 1 Apr
They should all be taken down Manningham road.

I lived in a tower block near the Happy trooper at the time as did family members . Pub on the Firs estate in Bromford was dodgier.

Our flat was nowhere near as luxurious as these stage sets
10:24, Mon 1 Apr
There were loads of pubs like the Trooper in East Brum. For me the Meadway was the most dangerous.
As Leeds found out.
11:05, Mon 1 Apr
Interestingly the social club scenes were filmed in bell green Coventry. The interiors perfectly preserved through neglect.
11:07, Mon 1 Apr
No photos from the time then?

I've seen photos around, I'll post them when I find something if somebody doesn't beat me to it. It was 3 mins walk from our house, a very nondescript building. Going back years, there was often an alsatian on the roof above the outdoor. It felt like a stoic warning when I was a kid, in a kind of "you fck about, you get eaten" kind of way. I went to the playschool right next door and did a paper round at the shop opposite. I hardly used the pub when I got to that age though, other than pre-match and then straight on the 97 when everyone paid child fare, no matter how old they were.
11:10, Mon 1 Apr
I thought the exterior scenes of the social club with the motorway above was the one at the Bromford?
11:18, Mon 1 Apr
They should all be taken down Manningham road.

I lived in a tower block near the Happy trooper at the time as did family members . Pub on the Firs estate in Bromford was dodgier.

Our flat was nowhere near as luxurious as these stage sets

The Stagecoach?
11:28, Mon 1 Apr
That’s the one