Nikola Zigic
Wire is a well known name with Blues isn't it, is that character a real person?

[www.birminghammail.co.uk]
12:57, Tue 2 Apr
Wire was from kingshurst I think

He lived round the corner from me when I lived near the White Hart in the late '90s. I was in Chelmsley but his road may have come under Tile Cross, not sure. Not Kingshurst though.
13:00, Tue 2 Apr
Used to see and drink with Wire at the games a lot in the past. One of the funniest blokes I have ever met. RIP.
13:26, Tue 2 Apr
It was rough back them when I lived in that corner of Chelmsley, worse than it ever was than when I lived by the Trooper. The trouble around the Trooper was contained but there were more inner city type issues here, needles in the communal areas of the maisonettes, random thieving at all times of day, racist attacks on a new family that moved in, etc. etc. There was public meeting called at the hall by the Prince Hal and a lot of people turned up, it was pretty much full. Council leaders turned up, reps from the police and community leaders, etc. Quite a few people got up to the tell their story of the problems they were having, there were people breaking down mid-speech, it was a serious night. Then Wire got up to deliver his story. He basically complained that every night he'd sit on his front wall with a few cans and every night he'd lay the dead cans out specifically on the wall, then every morning he got up "SOME F**KER HAD NICKED MY BEER PYRAMID". He then went on to tell an elongated and detailed story of how he tracked down the dead cans in a bin liner somewhere. It was delivered with the all the gusto, passion and humour that he could muster and you'd have to have seen him in action to imagine what this performance was like and find this post in anyway funny. He brought the house down and obviously there's a sad end to it all eventually but he should have been in front of an audience more than just that night.
13:48, Tue 2 Apr
He was yes. Part of the Sauce Force.
14:03, Tue 2 Apr
👍😂
Miguelagenn
A new way of giving film/tv ratings could be stating the point at which you picked your phone up and started messing with it. For me it's episode 2, around 35 minutes in. I'll persevere for the local interest factor but I found it a little tedious last night. Hopefully it improves.

I've watched up to the end of episode 5. If it were based anywhere else but Birmingham I wouldn't have watched past episode 1. I get that it needs some sort of story to go along side it but the IRA stuff? We had it in Peaky Blinders too.

I can't keep up with the flitting between Brum and Cov. One minute they're practicing with the band in Cov and then they're back in Brum all of a sudden. We've seen the same brick wall but supposedly it's in Brum and then it turns up in Cov. Fishing in a canal? It's the River Cole.

Dante is starting to get on my nerves a bit. I wish he'd just feckin wake up and get on with this band stuff. I'm just hanging on until we get to see the band play. It better be good!

I'll watch it all but don't think I'll watch another series.

Fair play to Steven for putting us on the map though.
21:52, Tue 2 Apr
Zublue
Watched and enjoyed it but most of the accents are shite. Also the amount of times the characters mentioned mother and fathrr rather than mom and dad annoyed me. I’ve never heard any of my mates call them mother and father.
I think there should also have been a lot more emphasis on the music rather than the IRA

Not sure why Knight casts so many non Brummies to play Brummie roles. The poor accents ruin the immersion at times.

Unless nobody local can act
Keep Rowett On

@vivacb2
22:38, Tue 2 Apr
My only issue with the accents is they sound dour and a bit slow. Like Black country folk. A Proper Birmingham accent is lighter but still a bit sing-songy. Doesn't take me out of it though.

Pretty much any time an actor does an accent, it sounds shite if you know what the accent is supposed to sound like. We're just not used to stuff being based in Brum.
22:46, Tue 2 Apr
Waggeh
My only issue with the accents is they sound dour and a bit slow. Like Black country folk. A Proper Birmingham accent is lighter but still a bit sing-songy. Doesn't take me out of it though.

Pretty much any time an actor does an accent, it sounds shite if you know what the accent is supposed to sound like. We're just not used to stuff being based in Brum.

I'm not too hung up about the accents not being proper Brummie too much, but do get your point about them being slow. Both of the brothers sound a bit wooden in their delivery and it tends to take away from the natural flow of the dialogue.
Still, getting used to that now being two episodes in and beginning to enjoy the programme.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has". Margaret Mead.
Watched first one. Enjoyed it, it has some energy and vim, unlike most so called serious drama.

There were a number of things had me guffawing at for lack of verisimilitude but it’s a drama, and you have to allow the fella some licence; besides, it’s fun decoding it, or muttering to the Mrs about it so you look fecking clever.

Most people watching won’t have a clue about Brum or Coventry, or the local geography or the demographic, or the music, so the things we complain about are irrelevant.

Knight is drawing attention to Brum, lionising it to some extent but he’s a dramatist, not a documentarian. He’ll make some things up. The location people will look for effective locations to suit the time and the story. There was summat on last year set in London and the external shots were of some tower blocks in Bromford fecking Bridge.

Anyway I’d like to see tha bastard remake Gangsters.
22:56, Tue 2 Apr
Watched first one. Enjoyed it, it has some energy and vim, unlike most so called serious drama.

There were a number of things had me guffawing at for lack of verisimilitude but it’s a drama, and you have to allow the fella some licence; besides, it’s fun decoding it, or muttering to the Mrs about it so you look fecking clever.

Most people watching won’t have a clue about Brum or Coventry, or the local geography or the demographic, or the music, so the things we complain about are irrelevant.

Knight is drawing attention to Brum, lionising it to some extent but he’s a dramatist, not a documentarian. He’ll make some things up. The location people will look for effective locations to suit the time and the story. There was summat on last year set in London and the external shots were of some tower blocks in Bromford fecking Bridge.

Anyway I’d like to see tha bastard remake Gangsters.

Gangsters doesn't need remaking though ... what it really needs is re-showing
23:02, Tue 2 Apr
Having watched them all today, I found all the Zulu and Chelmsley references very cringe inducing.

It's completely "cringe", factually inaccurate when it doesn't need to be, poorly thought out, at times outrageously badly scripted and overall quite shallow.

But .. it's TV entertainement aimed at the masses, and a certain level of intelligence, so what else did anyone expect ?.... and if it puts some sort of spotlight on Brum that widens the City's appeal then that's okay by me.
23:03, Tue 2 Apr
They’d have to edit so much out the episodes would be 5 minutes long.
23:06, Tue 2 Apr
Please don’t use the word cringe. Not even in quotation marks. You’re better than that.