15:35, Mon 15 Apr
RIP, 78.
15:38, Mon 15 Apr
Deadly is dead.

RIP.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
15:40, Mon 15 Apr
Wolvobluenose
RIP, 78.

Now he was a proper legend, him and Alan Knott - great partnership for Kent and England.

RIP Deadly.
16:04, Mon 15 Apr
Another icon of my youth gone šŸ˜ž

There hasnā€™t been a ā€œslowā€ left arm spinner who pushed it through at medium ever since. Not even the KOS(!). Underwood was the absolute master on a drying wicket. I also loved the way he couldnā€™t be arsed to field, as well as his heroics as night watchman. Recall queuing for ages in the Edgbaston pavilion to get his and Knottā€™s autographs and they signed
every one.

A cult hero.
16:13, Mon 15 Apr
I'm just reading Mike Brearley's captaincy book at the moment.

He obviously talks about Underwood a lot, the way he tells it - Underwood actually lacked a lot of confidence and often had to be persuaded how good he was and how much better he could be.

I do think he also had the luck to have Knott keeping to him, if you watch footage of a lot of his wickets nobody else could have pulled off a huge number of those catches and stumpings. They really were a dream partnership.
16:28, Mon 15 Apr
Sounds a good read, as everyone of our generation loved JMB, too

Didnā€™t realise that Underwood lacked confidence? Interesting.

And youā€™re right about Knottā€™s ability to read him. At county, as well as test level, too. That was one hell of a Kent side.
17:29, Mon 15 Apr
Osterberg

And youā€™re right about Knottā€™s ability to read him. At county, as well as test level, too. That was one hell of a Kent side.

That Kent side at the time also included Mike Denness, Brian Luckhurst, Asif Iqbal, John Shepherd and Colin Cowdrey.
18:02, Mon 15 Apr
Wolvobluenose
Osterberg

That Kent side at the time also included Mike Denness, Brian Luckhurst, Asif Iqbal, John Shepherd and Colin Cowdrey.

Precisely. And Alan Ealham, with his (then) peerless fielding/throwing.
18:08, Mon 15 Apr
I agree with your comments. Deadly, also Paddles, if I recall correctly, was a phenomenon. Interesting (to me) stat from today is that (maybe) deadly and Matthew Potts (today) share the honour of scoring their maiden 1st class century as night watchman. Although Potts may score another. DDU not so much.
My favourite England bowler from 1970s.
03:25, Tue 16 Apr
Osterberg

A cult hero.

Exactly this. Unplayable on his day.

Thx for the memories Deadly šŸ‘
09:11, Tue 16 Apr
Pearly Dewdrops
Osterberg

A cult hero.

Exactly this. Unplayable on his day.

Thx for the memories Deadly šŸ‘

Sad news. Amazing player.
09:14, Tue 16 Apr
Nice obit from Vic Marks

[www.theguardian.com]
12:02, Tue 16 Apr
Spike

He obviously talks about Underwood a lot, the way he tells it - Underwood actually lacked a lot of confidence and often had to be persuaded how good he was and how much better he could be.

I do think he also had the luck to have Knott keeping to him, if you watch footage of a lot of his wickets nobody else could have pulled off a huge number of those catches and stumpings. They really were a dream partnership.

Apart from Bob Taylor.
12:04, Tue 16 Apr
saint andrew
Spike

Apart from Bob Taylor.

Yeah, I think you and I may have had this conversation before?

Bob Taylor was very good, but Knott was another level.
12:30, Tue 16 Apr
Wolvobluenose
Osterberg

Not forgetting Bob Woolmer and Chris TavarƩ (1974 onwards) too.