13:00, Fri 19 Apr
‘Round the corner’ = ‘flicked on’
‘Corridor of uncertainty’ = ‘cross into the box’
13:04, Fri 19 Apr
Didn't expect to use this twice today.

Linked Image
13:11, Fri 19 Apr
Tam
I'm glad I've seen this thread. I know what they actually mean now.

I would actually say that at least 5 of those interpretations are wrong

Yours

Soccer Nerd
Happy Clapper
13:11, Fri 19 Apr
Keith Righton
expected goals xG

This one makes my skin crawl.
13:12, Fri 19 Apr
Tilton shark
Who makes up all of the new terms and why does it stick, some of the stuff below only seems to have appeared in the last few years.

What we tend to get now and what it possibly was before

Low block - Plenty back
High press - Attack in numbers
False 9 - Attacking midfielder
False 10 - Midfielder
Inverted wingers - Midfielder
Expansive play - Use the wide men
Sweeper Keeper - Rush keeper (From my 1970s school days)
etc

Cant remember any of that pre 2010 probably later.

I started in the days of wing halfs and inside forwards. Tbf, I don’t think ‘low block’ is the same as ‘plenty back’, nor do ‘high press’, ‘false 9’ (not sure what ‘false 10’ is) or even ‘sweeper keeper’ (which I haven’t heard used anyway) correspond to your supposed equivalents. Inverted wingers aren’t midfielders either, but I’d have thought more generally left footed wingers wide right and vice versa, which isn’t that new anyway. Can see how pundits or indeed managers might confuse you.

The game always changes to some degree and new words and descriptions appear. The game is a lot less static now.
Tam
13:13, Fri 19 Apr
Le Mod

Yours

Soccer Nerd

OK, now I haven't got a frigging clue again. Come to think of it, I'm happier this way. 😁
Make Blues Great Again
13:14, Fri 19 Apr
Tilton shark
Who makes up all of the new terms and why does it stick, some of the stuff below only seems to have appeared in the last few years.

Low block - Plenty back
False 10 - Midfielder
etc

the fact that you're using terms that aren't even particularly close to the meanings because they're too broad is exactly why they exist

a false 9 isn't an attacking midfielder, inverted wingers aren't midfielders, a high press isn't to do with attacking
13:15, Fri 19 Apr
Please could you elaborate on what they all mean? Asking for a friend.
13:17, Fri 19 Apr
Keith Righton
expected goals xG

Just about the most pointless stat ever.

xG = Finishing was shite today lads
Turn left when you get on a plane.
13:21, Fri 19 Apr
Ricky Blotto

False 9 is more of a hybrid role - can lead the line but also drops deep.
Firmino did at Liverpool as striker who drops off, Messi did it at Barcelona as a player who could just go anywhere.

High press is about not having the ball - pressuring the team with it to make a mistake near their own goal by cutting off passing options and closing down the player with the ball.

Inverted winger is basically a winger who cuts inside more with the ball, rather than sticks to the sideline.
13:23, Fri 19 Apr
Bagel
Tilton shark

Low block - Plenty back
False 10 - Midfielder
etc

the fact that you're using terms that aren't even particularly close to the meanings because they're too broad is exactly why they exist

a false 9 isn't an attacking midfielder, inverted wingers aren't midfielders, a high press isn't to do with attacking

Have you taken this a it too seriously or is it a bad day at the office, as the kids say its POETS day (a phrase I do like) today so go and have beer.
Turn left when you get on a plane.
13:24, Fri 19 Apr
It gives a rough idea of things, rather like number of shots/shots on target, number of corners etc. Player performance is monitored much more closely than it used to be in all sports. It’s not everything and it would be wrong to treat it as gospel. Moaning about it is pretty silly too in my opinion. Just ignore it if you think it’s valueless. Personally I don’t think it is.
13:24, Fri 19 Apr

Yours

Soccer Nerd

Only five ... ? i counted 7 in the original post and another 4 in the replies
13:26, Fri 19 Apr
Ricky Blotto

False 9 is more of a hybrid role - can lead the line but also drops deep.
Firmino did at Liverpool as striker who drops off, Messi did it at Barcelona as a player who could just go anywhere.

High press is about not having the ball - pressuring the team with it to make a mistake near their own goal by cutting off passing options and closing down the player with the ball.

Inverted winger is basically a winger who cuts inside more with the ball, rather than sticks to the sideline.

Thanks. What is Ollie Burke?