13:26, Fri 19 Apr
Between the lines is another one which crops up a lot.
13:27, Fri 19 Apr
Ricky Blotto
Please could you elaborate on what they all mean? Asking for a friend.

False 9 is more of a hybrid role - can lead the line but also drops deep.
Firmino did at Liverpool as striker who drops off, Messi did it at Barcelona as a player who could just go anywhere.

High press is about not having the ball - pressuring the team with it to make a mistake near their own goal by cutting off passing options and closing down the player with the ball.

Inverted winger is basically a winger who cuts inside more with the ball, rather than sticks to the sideline.

Thanks. What is Ollie Burke?

A speedboat without a driver
13:27, Fri 19 Apr
Snoop
Ricky Blotto

Firmino did at Liverpool as striker who drops off, Messi did it at Barcelona as a player who could just go anywhere.

High press is about not having the ball - pressuring the team with it to make a mistake near their own goal by cutting off passing options and closing down the player with the ball.

Inverted winger is basically a winger who cuts inside more with the ball, rather than sticks to the sideline.

False 9 - it’s hardly new. Puskas played the role in the 50’s when England were thrashed home and away by Hungary, much to the bewilderment of Billy Wright etc al.
13:34, Fri 19 Apr
Better than some of it over here you hear in states

Shot from down town 😲(shot outside area )

Off the pipe (post)

Great kick (pass)
13:47, Fri 19 Apr
texasblue
Better than some of it over here you hear in states

Shot from down town 😲(shot outside area )

Off the pipe (post)

Great kick (pass)

I have been to see Houston Dynamo play (Nice little stadium) and it was great fun listening to the comments around us. Also who would of thought it possible to eat a pile of nachos, a huge hotdog and a coke the size of a bucket in your seat but many of them managed it 🤣
Turn left when you get on a plane.
13:54, Fri 19 Apr
newblue
Snoop
Ricky Blotto

False 9 - it’s hardly new. Puskas played the role in the 50’s when England were thrashed home and away by Hungary, much to the bewilderment of Billy Wright etc al.

I think Puskas was more of an inside forward, with someone else at false 9. Hence Puskas scoring a couple while Wright etc tried to work out where the 9 had gone.

But yeah, I think it has been used periodically by more tactically astute managers, the last 10 years has just seen more frequent and widespread use.
Low block can do one.

Shame to hear ex top pro's going along with this and using it. Have heard Linekar, keown, ricards , savage say it?
Why, they were brought up saying nonsense like low block!

All transition means is that you have given the ball away
13:57, Fri 19 Apr
Reverse pass.
Second phase.
14:01, Fri 19 Apr
Snoop
newblue
Snoop
Ricky Blotto

I think Puskas was more of an inside forward, with someone else at false 9. Hence Puskas scoring a couple while Wright etc tried to work out where the 9 had gone.

But yeah, I think it has been used periodically by more tactically astute managers, the last 10 years has just seen more frequent and widespread use.

Now you mention it, I think it was Hidegkuti (spelling poss wrong) who played the ‘false centre forward’. Some people don’t half get irritated about things they appear not to even understand.
shd
14:06, Fri 19 Apr
Snoop
Ricky Blotto

….so one footed then
14:17, Fri 19 Apr
"In and around" bothers me.

I heard Dion Dublin saying that the striker needs players in and around him! So the striker needs players in him?

They all just copy each other and don't really think what they are saying really.

When asked what a team needs to do to turn the game around; nearly all of them just trot out "they need to move it quicker"
14:19, Fri 19 Apr
"Turnovers" and English players / managers saying "we're in a moment" can all stick it up their harris.
Birmingham City: coming up with new ways to ruin your weekend since 1875
14:21, Fri 19 Apr
Transition (counter attack)

Underlapping fullbacks?? Just a run inside the winger.
14:23, Fri 19 Apr
You all sound so old
Happy Clapper
14:29, Fri 19 Apr
I doubt phraseology like ‘put it in the mixer’ and ‘skin him’ was around Stanley Matthew’s time…..

Football terminology just like the English language itself has always evolved