D.S
07:27, Sat 20 Apr
Modern football has been spoilt by Guardiola and the like.

Getting to the byeline and getting a cross in is far more "football" to me than this tippy tappy high press rubbish
07:37, Sat 20 Apr
Bagel
Tilton shark
Who makes up all of the new terms and why does it stick, some of the stuff below only seems to have appeared in the last few years.

What we tend to get now and what it possibly was before

Low block - Plenty back
High press - Attack in numbers
False 9 - Attacking midfielder
False 10 - Midfielder
Inverted wingers - Midfielder
Expansive play - Use the wide men
Sweeper Keeper - Rush keeper (From my 1970s school days)
etc

Cant remember any of that pre 2010 probably later.

the fact that you're using terms that aren't even particularly close to the meanings because they're too broad is exactly why they exist

a false 9 isn't an attacking midfielder, inverted wingers aren't midfielders, a high press isn't to do with attacking

🤓
Up the feckin Blues
07:40, Sat 20 Apr
Yeah, when shots on target can include a Sunday morning bobbler, which bounces 10 times from 12 foot away.
Up the feckin Blues
08:08, Sat 20 Apr
106 Grounds so far
I can't believe I got through life only asking 'Who scored' & not but who made the assist

People who create goals and opportunities for others - ‘creative players’ - have been celebrated throughout the existence of the game. If you haven’t noticed them you can’t have been paying much attention to the game.

People just saying nonsense things to sneer at ‘modern football’. It’s quite odd really.
08:08, Sat 20 Apr
A few from football manager which introduced many to new fancy titles.
Segundo Volante - A second ball winning midfielder but one who moves forward more often usually combined with an anchor man who sits deeper.
Mezzala - Half winger
Carrilero - Shuttle horizontally between defense and midfield
Raumdeuter - Simply looks for space to play killer through balls or ball retention outlet
Trequartista - Operate in the attacking three quarters
10:58, Sat 20 Apr
D.S
D.S

Getting to the byeline and getting a cross in is far more "football" to me than this tippy tappy high press rubbish

The dinosaurs on this thread.
11:02, Sat 20 Apr
D.S
Skills over players launching the ball into the head of fat Fred’s

Pep is magic
11:09, Sat 20 Apr
El Mayor
D.S

The dinosaurs on this thread.

Im not having the Guardiola comment however, there's something to be said about a winger getting to the byeline for a striker to come onto and bullet head it into the net

Without doubt my personal favourite type of goal
11:21, Sat 20 Apr
Haaland scores loads of headers from crosses tbf
Happy Clapper
12:31, Sat 20 Apr
A few have mentioned it here.

But can someone actually spell it out please.

How do you calculate the Xg figure?
www.sevenstarphotography.co.uk
12:36, Sat 20 Apr
wannabee bailey
A few have mentioned it here.

But can someone actually spell it out please.

How do you calculate the Xg figure?

This explains it -
[theanalyst.com]
12:44, Sat 20 Apr
There’s loads of different models that all consider different things. They generally look at where a shot was taken from, which part of the body made contact with the ball and so on and then compare compare it to similar situations in their historic dataset. If they find that type of shot from that location goes in 20% of the time, the xG is 0.2.

Some models looks at where the defenders are, where the keeper is, how the ball was played to them, how much time they had to take the shot and loads more. Some just look at where the shot was taken from but that’s the general idea - how many times have people scored/missed from a similar chance in the past.