01:05, Sun 21 Apr
The curse on St Andrew's, despite there being absolutely no evidence of Romanies ever inhabiting the site (and historical records and drawings and photographs have been checked), is mentioned again and again

There are two racist tropes regarding gypsies.

The first is that they steal children and the second is that they go round effectively cursing places. Well, for a race that has suffered terribly throughout history there isn't much to prove that gypsies have any way of controlling luck - either positively or negatively.

It's similar to Jewish racist stereotypes
Jews consume human blood (The Blood Libel), Jews killed Jesus, Jews have horns and big noses,Jews have polluted blood,Jews are descendants of the Khazars, Jews control the world and politics, Jews control the banks, Jews control the media, the Holocaust didn’t happen, but if it did it was done on purpose and supported by Jews to get money.

or Arab stereotypes where all Arabs are either rich oil men or terrorists

or ... etc etc etc

So .... a very quick Google search shows that there are well over a dozen teams who are supposedly under gypsy curses

Southampton [en.espn.co.uk]
Derby [www.spookyisles.com]
Maine Road [forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk]
Crystal Palace [forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk]
Leeds United [www.leeds-live.co.uk]
Middlesbrough [www.theguardian.com]
Leyton Orient [www.theguardian.com]
Swansea [www.theguardian.com]
Hibernian [www.hibernianfc.co.uk]
Sunderland [rokerreport.sbnation.com]
Stoke City [oatcakefanzine.proboards.com]
Liverpool were cursed [www.dailymail.co.uk]
Portadown [www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk]
Spurs are supposedly cursed too [www.soccerphile.com]
Oxford United [www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk]
Millennium Stadium away dressing room was supposed to be cursed [www.stokesentinel.co.uk]

In Australia it is "Aborigines" who curse football grounds
Across Africa it is the local witch doctors
Boston Red Sox were "cursed" by Native Americans

What a load of old racist shite

(PS .. i'm sure there are others and i'm sure there are more detailed articles etc on each - i just listed the mentions that came up on a simple Google search)

The story of the curse has changed loads of times during my memory ... for a long time it was a gypsy horse buried under the pitch in the Tilton goalmouth ... then as soon as the pitch was dug up and relaid, it was a 100 year curse placed in 1906 ... (obviously now extended to just being a "forever curse")

The good part about a Gypsy's Curse ? ... whenever you go to Italy and a female Romany begger asks you for money tell her you've been cursed before and that is why you are broke.
01:29, Sun 21 Apr
Roy of The Rovers - and Melchester Rovers were, at one time cursed by a horseshoe

Page 1 ... bottom row ... middle pic

[royoftheroversstorkyk.blogspot.com]
03:20, Sun 21 Apr
The only curse at St. Andrews is the one that meant everything about the club for over a hundred years apart from the fans was second rate.
The ownership, the staff, the players, everyone connected to the club apart from the fans was second rate, this is proven by our continued failure.
Trying to blame that continued failure on gypsies using some mumbo jumbo about a spell they cast on the playing pitch is just plain stupid.

Compared to the ownership we have now even the Goldivan era can be described as second rate.

As for gypsies themselves, they have been shown to present with a set of traits and behaviors that regular folks dislike. Those traits and behaviors have been observed over a period of hundreds of years across different continents by millions of people. To describe this noticing of those patterns of behaviors as "racism" is ridiculous and absurd.
04:33, Sun 21 Apr
Rags
The first is that they steal children and the second is that they go round effectively cursing places. Well, for a race that has suffered terribly throughout history there isn't much to prove that gypsies have any way of controlling luck - either positively or negatively.

Tuts, after all that lucky heather I bought off them.
07:47, Sun 21 Apr
The story also only emerges in relation to Blues in Ron Saunders' time. Can't find any references before the 1980s, although there are suggestions that it was current in the seventies. But that still leaves one hell of a gap.
08:04, Sun 21 Apr
Wasn't it all over the remains of a favoured dead horse that the gypsies wanted to exhume? When they came back to dig up the bones it had already been removed by the workmen. There was never a gypsy camp on the ground. That's the story I remember from the 80's.

Derby paid off the gypsies who had cursed them and they won the FA Cup the following year. Revie traveled over to Scarborough to pay the head man, their curse was lifted and they became the best team in Britain. We should have crossed their palms with silver and settled the debt in a gentlemanly fashion.

Saunders sought the advice of a
priest who's advice was to put crosses on the floodlights and red soles on the players boots.

Fry pissed on all 4 goal posts to stop us dropping into div 3. Neither manager was successful with their magic spells.
08:05, Sun 21 Apr
Curses aren’t real FYI. We’ve just been shit for 100 years.
08:10, Sun 21 Apr
Corner flags.
It's easier to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission.
08:34, Sun 21 Apr
Barry said it was on the goal posts in an interview with tilton talk show, last year.

Muthi is big with some teams in Africa, at Orlando pirates they get rid of players who don't take part in the rituals. They have to bath in potions before the game and stuff concoctions down their socks. It's a mixture of superstitious beliefs and also pantomime/mind games to feck with the opponents. Nothing racist about it, most Africans think its horse poop but the tradition still goes on.
10:58, Sun 21 Apr
I'd have probably just gone to bed if this is what I searching at half 1 on a Sunday morning, Rags
11:30, Sun 21 Apr
Rags
tbf weren't the Cubs cursed by a white dude?
12:07, Sun 21 Apr
bluearmyfaction
Rags
tbf weren't the Cubs cursed by a white dude?

But even they have won the " North American" series now.
It's easier to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission.
12:47, Sun 21 Apr
Chris says FEA
I'd have probably just gone to bed if this is what I searching at half 1 on a Sunday morning, Rags

😂😂
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.