16:39, Tue 23 Apr
As much as I want to feel aggrieved. Havin seen it again, I do think it was offside.
16:52, Tue 23 Apr

Kenny Burns disallowed goal at 3.55 has stayed with me for decades
In Behind the Whistle, former Premier League referee Chris Foy goes through a selection of key match decisions from the latest action in the Sky Bet Championship, League One and League Two.

[www.skysports.com]
17:56, Tue 23 Apr
Linked Image

BeauBarry
Buchanan isnt directly in front of the keeper when Stansfield hits the ball

I mean... He can't really be more infront.
18:02, Tue 23 Apr
Who cares, its gone.
00:54, Wed 24 Apr
Waggeh
Yeah, the only gripe we can have is that more often than not, that gets given without VAR. It's a really good call by the lino.

The bastard.

Genuine question:

How can a linesman standing 30 yards or so away on the sideline have the correct perspective to see if he is obstructing the goalkeeper?

Surely that would only be possible for someone standing behind or in front of the goal.

The ref, however, was in a good position to see it - see photo in other posts in this thread.
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
06:02, Wed 24 Apr
The ref could see he was blocking his view and the linesman could see he was offside when blocking the view. They deffo spoke and that’s why their was prolonged celebrations from some
Tony Fantastico
07:43, Wed 24 Apr
Where he is when the ball is played is only relevant to determine if he is in an offside position, once that is determined you then have to access if he is or moves into a position across the keepers line of sight

He does, it’s conclusive, he literally runs across his line of vision from left to right. And as seen above, he was even in his sight when the ball was played too.
Happy Clapper
09:56, Wed 24 Apr
The definition posted here is very wooly. It does not say goal keeper just opposion. Does that mean that if an out field player happened to be the last man and a shot came in in similar circumstances then that is also offside? There must be countless goals scored in goalmouth scrambles where this would fit.
10:00, Wed 24 Apr
Yes that would be exactly the same, in that scenario the last man defender assumes the role of the goalkeeper. It would be offside. It's pretty rare that a defender is last man and has his vision of the ball blocked by an offside player, can't imagine this happens very often at all.
Happy Clapper
15:05, Wed 24 Apr
BeauBarry
Sheep2
It doesn't need commentary or explanations from pundits.

We'd be furious if a goal like that was allowed against us.
It is not at all controversial that it was disallowed.

We would be furious youre right, but that doesnt mean its not controversial IMO.

The rule is:

preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision

If you freeze frame when Stansfield hits the ball, Buchanan isnt directly within the line of vision (the keeper dives to his right so can see where the ball is going) and so there's an argument hes not clearly obstructing him. Its only when the ball is already in motion when Buchanan gets in the way, and its not like hes making an attempt to play the ball, hes quite clearly trying to not touch it.

So yes, id be fuming if it was against us, but there's enough in there to have the debate and I do wonder what VAR would have made of it.

But the defender trying to block it is also in the goalies “line of sight “.
15:59, Wed 24 Apr
The rule being quoted in this thread is only part of it. The introduction bit has been missed out.

The rule is (relevant bits):

...A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or

interfering with an opponent by:

preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or

So it matters not when Stansfield hit the ball... at the time he hit it Buchanan was offside - no question. That's the first part of the rule satisfied.

THEN... (after it was hit) he becomes involved in active play and obstructs the goalkeepers view.
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
16:01, Wed 24 Apr
Yeah, it's clear cut, that's what I was trying to explain (badly) here

Where he is when the ball is played is only relevant to determine if he is in an offside position, once that is determined you then have to access if he is or moves into a position across the keepers line of sight

He does, it’s conclusive, he literally runs across his line of vision from left to right. And as seen above, he was even in his sight when the ball was played too.
Happy Clapper