10:35, Sun 5 May
One for discussion…

With the recent success of home-grown players (Jude, Jobe and JJ), as well as the success of the U21 and 18 sides this season, is there the opportunity to rebuild around youth?

Like I say, ‘around youth’. With the drop in level, who has the potential to make the step up? Many have said that having older heads will be important to add the necessary grit and experience. I hear names like Ayling being mentioned. Are there any of the current experienced players who could fulfil the role? (Pritchard, Sunjic, Bielek - names I’ve heard people say they want to retain). I guess I’m coming from the point of view, that if we didn’t have to splash the cash (which in all likelihood we will) then could we rebuild from within?
So difficult to say who will want to/have to go, but we do need a core of players retained - we can't expect to bring in twenty or so players before the new season, much as we all shout 'clear the deadwood'. Although I wouldn't be bothered to see anyone go really, it would be practical to try and keep some our of better players. I would like to hear a contracted player say 'I want to stay - I helped to get us into this mess and I want to be part of the future going upwards again'.

I'd have a lot of respect for that - of course, I might just be living in a fantasy land.
Make Blues Great Again
10:43, Sun 5 May
Tam
Tam
So difficult to say who will want to/have to go, but we do need a core of players retained - we can't expect to bring in twenty or so players before the new season, much as we all shout 'clear the deadwood'. Although I wouldn't be bothered to see anyone go really, it would be practical to try and keep some our of better players. I would like to hear a contracted player say 'I want to stay - I helped to get us into this mess and I want to be part of the future going upwards again'.

I'd have a lot of respect for that - of course, I might just be living in a fantasy land.
Its just a job for modern day footballers. If they get an offer from another club where they will be paid more then they make a lot of noise and force a move.
10:45, Sun 5 May
If players want to go, sell them.

We need commitment now, not hangers on.
10:48, Sun 5 May
Tam
Tam

Straw clutching here? maybe - but while trying to think of positives, one of the only ones I could come up with is that maybe in League 1 some of our excellent younger players will have a chance to shine 'sooner' than they would in the Championship? I know that next season promotion is the be all and end all, but maybe a couple will get more chances than they would have. It's all I've got - that's it.
Up the feckin Blues
Tam
10:51, Sun 5 May
number8
If players want to go, sell them.

We need commitment now, not hangers on.

Yes, I agree. As I said above, any contracted player that wants to stay, that's great (if we want them) because there are some decent players in there. Any players that think that League One (where they helped to put us) is beneath them, then they can feck right off.
Make Blues Great Again
We need a mix of youth and leaders. The current players aren’t leaders as we’ve seen this year. I hate him but if you look at what Barry Bannan offers Sheffield Wednesday - he’s always in the players ears directing them. He controls the ugly side of the game and is able to slow things down when it’s needed. We don’t have anyone like that in the squad.

I think a mix of a few players like that, some of our youngsters (Hall for example could start most games in League 1) along with some signings to inject a bit of quality (like a decent striker or 3) and we’ll be in good shape.
I suppose any of the young men who have gone on loan to division 3 clubs may as well stay put. Mind you might be best having em scattered around a bit.