21:00, Wed 15 May
Stonewall penalty for Newcastle which understandably the ref missed....but Var....how the eff did they miss it 🤯🤯🤯
21:00, Wed 15 May
Sheep2
Made in Daegu
mjd2505
Coventry would also have had one of the best comebacks in FA Cup history against United this year had it not been for VAR

Don’t refer to Man United as ‘United’, unless they’re special to you. It’s annoying.

Anyway, your point is good- VAR ruined that moment.

Offside goals do not make games better.
No definitive proof it was offside. Play can’t be paused at the exact moment the ball is played, so it’s ridiculous. Joyless farting about keeping money going to the refs gravy train
Tony Fantastico
21:03, Wed 15 May
Sheep2
I don't expect perfect decisions. I would like them to be as good as they can be though. And i think technology should be used to make them as good as possible.

Improved cameras and processing will make VAR much faster over the next few years. Particularly for offsides. There's already better technology used by Uefa and Fifa. There will always be controversial decisions over what is and isn't a foul.

Your last point means that it won’t resolve those matters - in fact,it does the opposite as it involves another subjective view in addition to the officials on the field, who are undermined by VAR far too often.

I agree with you on offsides, for me that’s more like goal line technology. The problem with offsides and VAR is the offside law, which should be clarified and simplified (just make it feet and perhaps there has to be ‘daylight’ between attacker and defender.
21:05, Wed 15 May
Sheep2
Made in Daegu
mjd2505
Coventry would also have had one of the best comebacks in FA Cup history against United this year had it not been for VAR

Don’t refer to Man United as ‘United’, unless they’re special to you. It’s annoying.

No definitive proof it was offside. Play can’t be paused at the exact moment the ball is played, so it’s ridiculous. Joyless farting about keeping money going to the refs gravy train

No definitive proof the Lino wouldn’t have flagged anyway if there was no VAR.
21:08, Wed 15 May
If it was any good then everyone outside the premier League would be calling for it. The fact no one wants it in the Championship or L1 speaks volumes.

No-one ?

Pretty bold statement.

I want it.... thus disproving your point immediately.
21:10, Wed 15 May
Sheep2
I don't expect perfect decisions. I would like them to be as good as they can be though. And i think technology should be used to make them as good as possible.

Improved cameras and processing will make VAR much faster over the next few years. Particularly for offsides. There's already better technology used by Uefa and Fifa. There will always be controversial decisions over what is and isn't a foul.

Your last point means that it won’t resolve those matters - in fact,it does the opposite as it involves another subjective view in addition to the officials on the field, who are undermined by VAR far too often.

I agree with you on offsides, for me that’s more like goal line technology. The problem with offsides and VAR is the offside law, which should be clarified and simplified (just make it feet and perhaps there has to be ‘daylight’ between attacker and defender.

Anyone supporting the "daylight" theory or suggestion is being ridiculous ... . at full speed you could have, for a professional footballer, you can have a stride length of 6 foot then you could have the back leg of the defender 3 foot behind his body ..... are you really suggesting a "margin" of 10foot for offside decisions ?
21:12, Wed 15 May
newblue
Sheep2

"Your last point means that it won’t resolve those matters "

No... his point means it will 'reduce' these issues. Which it does.

You are all arguing to bin it because it isn't perfect while ignoring that it makes much better decisions on marginal calls than just a Referee overall.
21:12, Wed 15 May
Tandy
Sheep2
Made in Daegu
mjd2505

True. Which shows the stats for VAR getting offsides correct is daft and wrong
Tony Fantastico
21:13, Wed 15 May
Tandy
Sheep2
Made in Daegu
mjd2505

The referee's assistant didn't flag. If he thought it was offside he would have flagged. That's his job.

There is a separate issue with assistants delaying raising the flag until the phase of play is over when calling an offside if it is close. But that is what they are tolld to do.
21:14, Wed 15 May
Sheep2
Tandy
Sheep2
Made in Daegu
mjd2505

The referee's assistant didn't flag. If he thought it was offside he would have flagged. That's his job.
Not with var in operation, doesn’t need to
Tony Fantastico
21:17, Wed 15 May
There is one simple argument here:

Over a season, more correct decisions are made in the games that use VAR than in the games that don't.

Why would you want a ref-only system that gets more decisions wrong?
21:19, Wed 15 May
Get rid, it is beneficial for the TV audience only, for any paying fan it makes the experience of going to the match much worse.

Football doesn’t need it.
21:20, Wed 15 May
I go to games mate.
Football is about joy, spontaneous passion. Players make mistakes. Officials do too.
Tony Fantastico
21:22, Wed 15 May
Rab C Nesbitt
I go to games mate.
Football is about joy, spontaneous passion. Players make mistakes. Officials do too.

I'd rather have more correct decisions and more cheating spotted.
21:23, Wed 15 May
WelshBlue
newblue
Sheep2

"Your last point means that it won’t resolve those matters "

No... his point means it will 'reduce' these issues. Which it does.

You are all arguing to bin it because it isn't perfect while ignoring that it makes much better decisions on marginal calls than just a Referee overall.

It doesn’t though. It just complicates things further on subjective decisions. The technology doesn’t rule on those subjective decisions - it’s a human being making a decision, often the Var official vs the people on the pitch (subsequently claimed by ‘objective’ assessment to be correct).

It isn’t even the case that VAR intercedes in ‘clear and obvious’ ; sometimes it doesn’t when it probably should, in other cases, when it’s opaque and obscure.