08:45, Thu 16 May
I don't think the clubs will vote to get rid but I think this will prompt the PL to make some changes pretty quickly.

Lets be honest, even though I'm a proponent of it and defend it on here, it's not worked and has drifted from its original purpose and remit.

I've said it before but I'd like a 30 second time limit on decisions, automatic offsides with an acceptable margin of error built in (linesman's call like umps call in cricket?) and no slow-mo replays.

If a decision can't be made in that time it's not clearly and obviously wrong.

Limiting it to one captain's/manager's challenge per half would be acceptable to most I imagine too.

The officials also need to be mic'd up to improve clarity. There's no reason why they can't already be doing this.

The PL could make this work easily but they're just being stubborn now for no perceived benefit to the people paying to attend or watch on TV.
08:53, Thu 16 May
Not sure if its been mentioned before (to many posts to trawl through), one of the other reasons people tend to forget is that VAR was also introduced to limit and hopefully remove the abuse that officials were receiving from players,staff and supporters regarding on pitch decisions.
If VAR is removed, that abuse will return possibly bigger than before and in today's climate of mental health issues, it would'nt be long until we find officials on strike, where would that leave the game !!
09:03, Thu 16 May
It hasn’t lessened the abuse. We talk about the way a match is officiated (partially a function of the huge growth of media comment in general on football) far more than ever. I find it tedious. They even have ex refs as particularly fatuous members of panels.
10:30, Thu 16 May
quoman
Not sure if its been mentioned before (to many posts to trawl through), one of the other reasons people tend to forget is that VAR was also introduced to limit and hopefully remove the abuse that officials were receiving from players,staff and supporters regarding on pitch decisions.
If VAR is removed, that abuse will return possibly bigger than before and in today's climate of mental health issues, it would'nt be long until we find officials on strike, where would that leave the game !!

This has been said many, many times - but the refs and the footballing powers that be already have the power to stop this behaviour by red carding and banning any abusive behaviour (personally I'd introduce the Rugby rule where only captains can address the ref and then only respectfully) once teams are down to 9 men every game and clubs docked points for bad behaviour on the pitch - pretty sure that ref abuse would stop quickly - on the pitch at least.

This isn't a VAR for or against post btw as I'm effin bored to death of the constant repeating of peoples opinions on it (which aren't going to change so what's the point?) this is more a general post on how refs and the Prem/FA are too weak in using the tools they already have.
Up the feckin Blues
Spot on. Laws are there to stop on field abuse
Tony Fantastico
10:49, Thu 16 May
Tandy
I don't think the clubs will vote to get rid but I think this will prompt the PL to make some changes pretty quickly.

Lets be honest, even though I'm a proponent of it and defend it on here, it's not worked and has drifted from its original purpose and remit.

I've said it before but I'd like a 30 second time limit on decisions, automatic offsides with an acceptable margin of error built in (linesman's call like umps call in cricket?) and no slow-mo replays.

If a decision can't be made in that time it's not clearly and obviously wrong.

Limiting it to one captain's/manager's challenge per half would be acceptable to most I imagine too.

The officials also need to be mic'd up to improve clarity. There's no reason why they can't already be doing this.

The PL could make this work easily but they're just being stubborn now for no perceived benefit to the people paying to attend or watch on TV.

Apparently FIFA and IFAB have refused permission to broadcast VAR conversations. I think this one thing would make a big difference. When you watch cricket or rugby you can tell what they are concerned about. The chat explains the decision. I think it would work for VAR. It would tighten it up and be illuminating.
The 30 second has to be a soft limit. You can get sequential decisions, which all need to be sorted correctly.

Once VAR is involved I'd like to see the initial ref's decision made a 'soft' call. That is the VAR is supposed to come to the decision based on the evidence. If the pictures aren't clear go with the original decision. That's different from the current system where VAR only asks to overturn a clear and obvious error. At the moment if a ref has made a decision which is sort of justifiable, but not the most obvious interpretation of what happened it can't be overturned.

I'd also give each team 1 VAR appeal per half/game, where they can get something looked at again by the ref. I think this would encourage teams as they would be actively participating rather than just receiving a decision. If you win the appeal you retain it. The same as cricket reviews.
18:43, Thu 16 May
Var provides an opportunity to fly an advert across the tv screens FIFA care primarily about money the Premier league cares primarily about money.

Advertising and brand recognition seems more and more to what runs the world nowadays.

I didn’t want it don’t like it and struggle to find any positives with it. It’s here to stay probably. Talk of improving it won’t really help people will just eventually get used of it and look at their phones while waiting for a decision.