20:23, Tue 21 May
Andy62
Super Hans
The misuse of JJ this season has been criminal, one of the few things Rooney got right.

Can see a small fee with a decent sell on.

He’s got 12 months plus an option for a further year , if we believe our owners we are financially in a good place why do you think we will accept a small fee. There is no reason to sell unless the offer is sufficiently attractive

Because the kid clearly wants out. Once that happens the selling club loses all bargaining power.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
20:27, Tue 21 May
They don't though, because them wanting out means eff all really unless you're skint.

They can sulk for a bit but unless they go on strike they aren't getting their move.

Players that sulk and force moves get a bad reputation.

Fwiw I'd sell James, he deserves his chance, but it'll be on our terms.
H

Consistently correct and proven right.
20:31, Tue 21 May
Super Hans
Andy62
Super Hans
The misuse of JJ this season has been criminal, one of the few things Rooney got right.

Can see a small fee with a decent sell on.

He’s got 12 months plus an option for a further year , if we believe our owners we are financially in a good place why do you think we will accept a small fee. There is no reason to sell unless the offer is sufficiently attractive

Because the kid clearly wants out. Once that happens the selling club loses all bargaining power.

I don’t think it quite works that way otherwise we would end up giving him away. I suppose really it depends on what is a reasonable valuation and at the moment anything around £6 to £7m with an add on would be acceptable. He is definitely not as good as Wharton and worth that much
20:38, Tue 21 May
I we received a bid of 6-7 million I'd be happy with that. He's got potential but he hasn't really proven himself yet/
20:41, Tue 21 May
Absolutely correct. I’m tired of us selling players for pittance. If they want to go then fine, but we need to make sure we get maximum value for them.

Think of gnonto from Leeds. He put a transfer request in and refused to play, around the same time we beat them 1-0 in August which feels like a millennium ago now. They couldn’t sell him, and he has since played a starring role for their promotion bid.
20:43, Tue 21 May
I’d be surprised if we get that much for him in all honesty. Atalanta weren’t bidding that much for him in January, I’d be surprised if they upped their bid to that in the summer.

And if he wants to go we should get rid, last thing we need this season are fannies moping about the place, only players who are 100% dedicated to the cause please.
mjd2505
Not surprised though, he's the player I least expect to stay

Agreed
Blue since 67 - Will be there at the end of the road, whenever that may be!
Super Hans

But if we decide we want to keep him we aren't the ones doing the 'bargaining' the teams that want him are.

I think he'll go and if he wants to go I hope he does, but not for a pittance.
20:46, Tue 21 May
The league one sales record is Delph to them lot for around 8 million.

People can demand we don’t sell players for pittance until they’re hoarse but that’s the reality of being in the 3rd tier.
20:51, Tue 21 May
Because he may play his face for two seasons and not play to his full potential and go for nothing in the end. Any business will look at that scenario and way up the financial option.
20:53, Tue 21 May
Super Hans

People can demand we don’t sell players for pittance until they’re hoarse but that’s the reality of being in the 3rd tier.

Wasn't it £6m?

15 years ago, since when prices have gone up a lot.
£80m in 2009 up to £198m now.

We'd be prize idiots to base our transfer strategy on 2009 prices.
20:53, Tue 21 May
Keep him and sell him once we are promoted then. The biggest factor in what we get will be how many teams want to sign him rather than what league we are in.

5 or 6 million isn't a pittance and it is still a few mill less than Delph went for god knows how many years ago.
21:12, Tue 21 May
If we had sold JJ in January and reinvested we would still be in the championship. Let’s not be belligerent, make an unhappy player stay when we can use profits for a better balanced squad

That is not to say we don’t bargain for a good deal though
21:13, Tue 21 May
Snoop
Super Hans

Wasn't it £6m?

And yet that price hasn’t been beaten by any team selling from league one, even with inflation.

That includes the likes of Toney, Alli, Gayle, Khazri, Wilson etc.

I’m not saying we should bend over backwards to sell, but people expecting to get decent money for JJ are in for a shock imo.
21:28, Tue 21 May
Super Hans
Snoop
Super Hans

Wasn't it £6m?

And yet that price hasn’t been beaten by any team selling from league one, even with inflation.

That includes the likes of Toney, Alli, Gayle, Khazri, Wilson etc.

I’m not saying we should bend over backwards to sell, but people expecting to get decent money for JJ are in for a shock imo.

We're not Peterborough or MK Dons, nor fire sale Sunderland. We don't have to sell to survive, and JJ has 100 champ games with 10 international caps - no need to under sell our selves nor JJ.